My Orange Patriot..... *riding pics 13 April 2011*

*AJ*
*AJ* Posts: 1,080
edited February 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Bought this as a frame only, its apparently a ltd edition in this colour and from 2005/2006.

Been fine tuning a few things and its now 99% perfect, just got a nasty, nasty top-out on the fork that needs sorting, which hasnt been solved by replacing the oil with 10W in the right leg.

Rides lovely though.... and really really chuffed with it. Heres the Spec and pics:

Frame: 16" Orange Patriot 150mm travel
Shock: Fox Vanilla with uprated spring (650 x2.39)
Fork: Marzocchi Z1 Drop off 150mm travel
Headset: FSA Pig Pro 1-1/8" threadless, cartridge ball bearings
Handlebar: Azonic WorldForce 710mm wide
Stem: Azonic Shorty 75mm
Speed: 9
Rear Mech: Shimano XTR, 9sp, medium cage
Shifter: Shimano, 9sp rapid fire trigger
Chainset: Shimano FC-M540, Octalink spline 40T Goldtec chain ring with MRP System 2 Chainguide
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 73mm x 126mm
Pedals: orange DMR V8
Cassette: Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34t
Chain: Shimano HG50, 9-speed, Sram powerlink
Front Brake: Shimano deore hydraulic disc brake, dual piston, 203mm superstar rotor
Rear Brake: Shimano deore hydraulic disc brake, dual piston, 180mm superstar rotor
Rims: Mavic D321, Grey 32h
Front Hub: Hope bulb, QR, 32h
Rear Hub: Hobe bulb, QR, 32h
Tyres: Maxxis Wet Scream 26 x 2.2 with orange pin strip
Seatpost: Alloy, micro adjust, 27.2mm
Saddle: SDG Bel Air
Grips: orange Superstar lock-ons

Iphone4083.jpg

Iphone4085.jpg

Iphone4086.jpg

Iphone4089.jpg

Iphone4092.jpg

Comments

• *AJ*
    LOL, it was a bit pointless posting this up then. :lol:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Don't usually like ''older style'' DH frames, but that looks pretty good :) Nice spec too
  • 123oldman
    123oldman Posts: 268
    Certainly looks the part, looks like it could take on pretty much anything! :lol:
    How much does it owe you all told if you don't mind me asking?
  • *AJ*
    In all honestly it probably only owes me about £400

I bought a bargain of a GT LTS 1000 DS full bike with decent Kit, but XC stuff, most of it went on ebay or here and then I bought more freeride based stuff for it and riode it that way for a few months.

I then bought the Patriot frame and sold the GT frame for the same amount, so ive been really lucky with this build actually. :)
  • chaz1979
    chaz1979 Posts: 10
    love them old chain devices, had one on my old bazooka worked perfectly
    look at the time
  • Not a fan of that frame in anyway at all, looks like something you could buy the whole bike from ASDA; but that's just my opinion. Spec looks pretty good though!
  • *AJ*
    Not a fan of that frame in anyway at all, looks like something you could buy the whole bike from ASDA; but that's just my opinion. Spec looks pretty good though!

I think you’d change your mind about that as soon as you had a ride on one, It trounces all over my old GT LTS, feels much much stiffer, but also smoother and has many more characteristics of a hardtail, with some give when you need it.

You also wouldn’t believe how much confidence the tubing gives you when you look down and see the huge down tube/welds. I’m now jumping stuff that I haven’t jumped since I used to race 10 years ago!

The spec is OK, but will change slowly over time.... :)

Thanks for the comments though guys, always nice to get feedback.
  • ive gone off orange frames personally cause the single pivot idea felt ancient on a 223 ive been on :( The bike looks good but change most of the parts on it i.e. forks, stem, chain device, cranks and bars then it would be a dh and fr machine :D
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    That's brilliant for the money 8) good effort.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • *AJ*
    shieldsy94 wrote:
    ive gone off orange frames personally cause the single pivot idea felt ancient on a 223 ive been on :( The bike looks good but change most of the parts on it i.e. forks, stem, chain device, cranks and bars then it would be a dh and fr machine :D

Forks are now set up perfectly for me, rebound has slowed down and ive now been able to set up the sag and compression without having a horrible top out clank! so im well happy with the forks now.

Nothings wrong with the stem and bars at all, they are comfy and seem very strong.

Chain device, does its job, not lost a chain with it and its silent.

The cranks i will change, Im nearly 16 stone and 6 foot 2, so im harsh on cranks, so i think i will change these to saints, but only when these start playing up.

Its set up as a freeride bike anyway, 6" front and rear..... with fairly stiff suspension setup, it takes the big drops in its stride.

Im a little confused as to why you think i need to change so many things to make it into something its already used for? :?:
  • it is a nice bike. the colour is so much strong for me, but the bike is bery good!
  • *AJ*
    Thanks, Im really into the colour now... I wasnt when i bought it, and was going to get it repainted However the colour is much nicer in the flesh than it looks in the pics.

Ive decided that the chain device dates it a bit though, so im looking for something else?

Anyone got any recommendations?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    great looking bike, love the colour 8)

where did you get the orange monster energy graphics from? i'm thinking of getting a couple of really small logo's for mine but in red, don't know where to get them in other colours though.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • *AJ*
    andy46 wrote:
    great looking bike, love the colour 8)

where did you get the orange monster energy graphics from? i'm thinking of getting a couple of really small logo's for mine but in red, don't know where to get them in other colours though.

Ebay mate, theres plenty on there and most will supply in other colours.

Mine came from here.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0462088976
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    thank's for that, a couple of graphics is all i can afford at the minute :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • *AJ*
    A few updated pics with some new bits...........

Iphone4159.jpg

Iphone4156.jpg

Iphone4155.jpg

Iphone4160.jpg

Iphone4126.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Iphone4168.jpg

Iphone4163.jpg

Iphone4164.jpg
  • That looks awesome, probably rides great too!
    Good work :)
  • *AJ*
    edited January 2011
    Few more updated pics & updated spec list as this seems to be a bit of an ongoing project.....

Iphone4AJ029.jpg

Iphone4AJ032.jpg

Iphone4AJ024.jpg

Iphone4AJ026.jpg

Iphone4AJ025.jpg

Frame: 16" Orange Patriot 150mm travel
    Shock: Fox Vanilla with uprated spring (800 x2.39)
    Fork: 2004 Marzocchi Junior T 170mm travel
    Headset: FSA Pig Pro 1-1/8" threadless, cartridge ball bearings
    Handlebar: 2011 Azonic Double Wall 765mm wide
    Stem: RaceFace Diabolus 70mm
    Rear Mech: Shimano Saint, 9sp, short cage
    Shifter: Shimano, 9sp rapid fire trigger
    Chainset: Shimano Saint M810 cranks, 40T Goldtec chain ring and Superstar Laser Chainguide (saint cranks have custom protective graphics fitted)
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint M810 BB
    Pedals: orange DMR V8
    Cassette: Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34t
    Chain: Shimano HG50, 9-speed, Sram powerlink
    Front Brake: Shimano Saint M810 4 pot caliper, Gold hope 203mm saw floating rotor
    Rear Brake: Shimano Saint M810 4 pot caliper, Gold hope 203mm saw floating rotor
    Rims: Mavic D321, Grey 32h
    Front Hub: Hope bulb, QR, 32h
    Rear Hub: Hobe bulb, QR, 32h
    Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF & DHR 26 x 2.35 with orange pin strip
    Seatpost: Alloy, micro adjust, 27.2mm
    Saddle: SDG Bel Air
    Grips: B1 Racing with gold lock-ons
  • Like that mate, always been a fan of the Patriot! Top work :)
  • *AJ*
    Cheers, I am very pleased with it......

May look into going 20mm bolt through up front though, and maybe something better on the rear. The QR is a little flexy!....
  • *AJ*
    Couple of new bits of bling......

Gold KMC Chain, Road Cassette and gold headset spacers.

AJSIPHONE004.jpg

AJSIPHONE008.jpg

AJSIPHONE010.jpg
  • *AJ*
    Shimano Saint shifter....

AJSIPHONE021.jpg

AJSIPHONE022.jpg

AJSIPHONE020.jpg
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    quite like the mix of new and retro parts
  • j96_2
    j96_2 Posts: 188
    very nice :)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Bet those brakes are powerfull-pretty much the most powerfull brake on the market, and with the addition of 203mm rotors! :lol:
  • *AJ*
    leaflite wrote:
    Bet those brakes are powerfull-pretty much the most powerfull brake on the market, and with the addition of 203mm rotors! :lol:

They are fairly evil TBH, can never have too much power though.....
  • So so lovely!
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    Just done a similar thing to my old patriot albeit waaaaay older than this it's a '99.

Had a blast around Cwm Carn at the weekend and it was awesome. Forks need some work though.

Anywho. Your Patriot is Awesome. All Patriots are awesome though :lol:

Love the Bling too 8)
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • *AJ*
    Updated pics....

Now has a Rock Shox BOXXER forks and Mavic EX721 rims laced to Hope Pro II hubs in gold. 20mm Bolt thru up front and 10mm bolt up at the rear.

AJSIPHONE123.jpg

AJSIPHONE130.jpg

AJSIPHONE127.jpg

AJSIPHONE124.jpg

AJSIPHONE133.jpg

AJSIPHONE139.jpg

AJSIPHONE143.jpg

AJSIPHONE137.jpg

AJSIPHONE138.jpg
  • *AJ*
    Jake151 wrote:
    Nice looking bike

Awesome spec!

One thing that pulls it down though is the white cable ties, could you not get some black ones? That would top it off nicely

Lol! Yeah they do let it down a bit, however, I plan on having the frame powder coated soon, once that is done I will run the hose through the swing arm internally as it's meant to be, and bleed the brake.