Five10's How do you wash / clean yours?

shinobishoryuken
shinobishoryuken Posts: 59
edited August 2010 in MTB general
As the title says, how does everyone else clean and dry their five10 footwear?

I've been riding them dirty if dry, or if I get them soaked on muddy rides / river crossings I end up washing them on a cold quick spin in the machine to get rid of the swamp water smell.

Mine have lasted almost two years and are almost due to be thrown out and replaced as they are starting to fall to bits.
I've got the impact lows but thinking of a new colour next time

Comments

• Washing trainers (mine and the boy's) knocked the drum bearings out of a new Bosch machine in 3 years. If you're going to do that wrap them well in old towels so they don't bang about.

My latest cunning plan is to have two sets of £15 trainers from Tesco. If one pair is wet I use the other. And when one pair is so disgusting that even I am embarrassed, I just throw them away and buy another pair. So no cleaning - ever.

The downside is that they look cheap and nasty and people will think you are poor and will laugh at you. And they don't grip the pedals incredibly well, either.

But did I mention what a cheap and easy option it is?

(This isn't a joke, by the way - I really do do this)
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Warm water, nail brush, toothbrush and tactical gear cleaner/nikwax shoe cleaner. Not shophisticated but it works.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474

My latest cunning plan is to have two sets of £15 trainers from Tesco. If one pair is wet I use the other. And when one pair is so disgusting that even I am embarrassed, I just throw them away and buy another pair. So no cleaning - ever.

The downside is that they look cheap and nasty and people will think you are poor and will laugh at you. And they don't grip the pedals incredibly well, either.

I do similar but with £6 a pair trainers with velcro rips rather than laces from Asda. Whatever I use is going to get eaten alive by the pins in my pedals so I don't see the point in shelling out more than that.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    scrubbing brush and warm water, have a pair ok reebok classics, they clean up reasonably well. quite like the idea of the asda ones though, been thinking of getting the dunlop greens from sports direct for such a reason
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • I do what Happy Harry does but with my 510s, there's no point in cleaning them.
  • Yeah but what do you do if they stink of choggy swampy muddy water?

Do you just let them dry naturally and then wear them again?

I used to wear my old Dunlop green flash but due to riding the Peaks I prefer the protection the Five10's give my feet.

Also, when they have been washed the soles are even stickier and grip miles better!
  • Stick them in the greenhouse or if its winter I take them to work and leave in the drying room.

If they are really minging I blast them off with the pressure washer

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who cares. They will just get disgusting again. Don't wear them to meet the queen.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Ransaka wrote:

I do similar but with £6 a pair trainers with velcro rips rather than laces from Asda. Whatever I use is going to get eaten alive by the pins in my pedals so I don't see the point in shelling out more than that.

I've had my 5:10s well over a year and the soles are fine. I've tried riding in trainers, feet slip off the pedals and they don't offer any protection againist rocks etc.

TBH I've never washed them- give them a rince over now and again. They probably smell a bit foisty but I don't make a habit of sniffing them! :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • People wash their riding shoes?

Dunno bout you guys but I only wear my riding shoes when on the bike, so I could care less about how they look or smell. My feet stink after a ride, and my shoes are always muddy. Best thing I do is take the cleats outs, clean the sole up a little bit with a knife, like a 5 second scrape the mud off so the holes can be seen again and put cleats back in.

The only people who see me in my riding shoes are other people on the trail, people at the random watering holes we stop at at the top of mountains, and my wife. I could care less what they think of the condition of my stinkay feet coverings.
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    Depending on just how filthy they are...Really mucky after a wet ride, I give them a quick brush off.

Dry ride I just leave them in my car.

It's not a fashion show and I expect to get dirty.
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    hose pipe and old washing up brush, stuff with old newspaper dry in 2days.

bearing in mind tht i don't really get enough time to ride during the winter more than twice a week anyhow works for me...
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • I'm no fashionista believe me- it's just that especially during the cooler / damp weather my biking boots get absolutely soaked through, chog-full of dirty water, mud and sand and they absolutely stink (from the dank water- not my feet) and I am sure that it's not good to wear them again before they are dry again! Just wondered if anyone has any tips on washing and drying them as I know their lifespan is considerably shortened by using the washing machine
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    No washing - just wipe the muck off the outside with a damp cloth and leave shoes in garage until the next outing. Dead easy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Every few rides or when filthy I chuck them in the washing machine along with the rest of my clothes. Washed them loads of times and they seem fine.

I'm sure you guys wash your shorts, socks, tops, etc - why not the shoes too? :?
    Trek Fuel EX 8 '09
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    im scared to get them wet as they take about 12 years to dry and stink like an old swimming bag.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Don't normally wash them but if thay are already soaking and completely covered in crap, I give them a quick wash spray with the hose while wearing them, washing the bikes
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Clean them? When I get back from a ride, I keep my 5 10's on while I clean the bike and at the same time I hose my shoes. I then put them inside and leave the de humidifier on and this drys them out for the next day or ride - well dry enough as I wear SealSkinz socks.
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    just soapy water or hose them while i do my bike
    i wondered what all the fuss about till i got a pair of impact 2's, now i know.
  • Wash them in puddles (not on purpose) and dry them with paper (inside) and put them in the sun or by a heater... They do whiff a bit though :lol:
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Firsty - Trainers in a washing machine is not a good idea. Standard washing powder/liquid can ruin the glues used on your shoes, not to mention the battering your drum will get....

Secondly - Never store them next to artificial heat. If they are leather it will shrink and eventually crack the leather. Also, the above weakened glue will peel away from surfaces etc etc

If your shoes are dirty give them a good scrub and get the mud off, then fill them with newspaper, leave for an hour or two, replace the newspaper, repeat till shoes are dry.

Once clean, if they stink put them in a large food bag or similar then put in the freezer. The stenctch from your shoes is bacteria, putting them in the freezer overnight will kill it off.

End.
  • Thanks Mr Wu!

Sound advice I will def stop putting them in the machine- I've just taken them off the radiator now too!

Don't think the Missus will like them in the freezer though!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I hosed them down when they were really manky, ie so wet they weren't getting any wetter from hosing... otherwise dried them out and brushed them off. Get a proper shoe brush from an outdoors stoor or quality shoe shop, it'll shift mud like you wouldn't believe and doesn't damage the shoe.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I am sure that if i dug deep enough i would find some Sheffield mud on mine. just stuff mine with paper to dry them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I give mine a good hose down in the garden if they're properly ditched and then leave them outside or in the conservatory to dry. If it's winter, stick them under a radiator.

My riding shoes are some oooooold suede vans that I've had for years, I've had more than my fair share of mileage from them, so I don't really feel the need to look after them too well, they're still moderately comfy and grip well. I figure by the time they're totally knackered, my current 'nice' pair of vans will be about ready for me to abuse on the bike!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5