Brands of bike - why do you pick them, or not?

124»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pfft. ghosts aren't real, you silly hippy :lol:
  • personnaly I would never buy, lapierre,specialized,scott because I don't like them I always think they are over priced and there are quite a few about

See where i ride i see no Lapierre bikes and feel they are a real boutique bike. They look stunning but have some real bad write ups with regards warranty and reliability.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    marin are the most common bikes i have seen recently!
  • Where i am i would not say any bike is common, Giant anthems are becoming big if you can get one but no brand stands out.

Take tomorrows macc wheeler ride, there will be a number of :

Scott Genius,
    Raleigh ex team edition titanium.
    Giant M?? Carbon hardtail,
    Commencal 5.5's.
    Specialized FSR ...'s,
    Canondale scalpel
    Orange 5,
    Santa Cruz Blur LTc.
  • Northwind wrote:
    personnaly I would never buy orange,lapierre,specialized,scott because I don't like them I always think they are over priced

You think SPECIALIZED are overpriced? Compared to what? Sure, some of the lines work out less good value than others but a lot of the models are ridiculous value.

Im on my 3rd Specialized bike and through the years you have generally got less for your money, my latest Epic cost over 2K yet i need to replace the wheels,bars,post,chainset as they are poor quality items and very heavy considering the bike is carbon.

Specialzied are obviously trying to walk you up the range but at the 2.5-3K mark bike prices start to get silly for a hobby!!!

The bike itself however is amazing!!!!
  • SPIRO
    SPIRO Posts: 200
    Brands of bike - why do you pick them, or not?

It had nothing to do with the brand tbh,

I tried Giant/Orange/Spesh/Lapierre and a Trek over a 4 week period and the Spesh felt the best to me.

People who do the brand loyalty thing really do limit their choices. The next bike probably wont be a spesh, but it will be the one that fits me best.

Simples :wink:
  • andypaul99 wrote:
    my latest Epic cost over 2K yet i need to replace the wheels,bars,post,chainset as they are poor quality items and very heavy considering the bike is carbon.

If you don't mind me asking - why not opt for a custom build?
  • Cannondale - more money than sense

Cannondale = Apple Computer of bikes.

Well engineered, more expensive to buy (though not by as much as people would have you believe) & to run (as things are non-standard they cost more - Lefty wheelsets being a case in point), & they don't necessarily work better than the competition.

Having recognised this, I've still ended up buying Cannondales...

Andy

(Owner of an S6, an F1 with Lefty and an elderly Raleigh hybrid)
  • andypaul99 wrote:
    my latest Epic cost over 2K yet i need to replace the wheels,bars,post,chainset as they are poor quality items and very heavy considering the bike is carbon.

If you don't mind me asking - why not opt for a custom build?

True, but there is a method to the madness, in that ill just transfer the bits i dont want onto my XTC training bike. I guess the point was that if you had spent 2.5K on an Epic say 2 or 3 years ago you would have ended up with a mixture of XT, XTR etc but now have to settle for similar parts that my £600 rockhopper came with a few years back.....

hope this makes sense! :D
  • I have never quite got Cannondale. The Fatty shock (with the stupid Cannondale headtube size) was never that great and the Lefty fork was expensive if you could buy one aftermarket. Then there was the Scalpel. Lets take a niche product (softail) and make it Uber Niche. Why? Coda parts = rubbish. I had a Coda Tarantula crankset years ago that was meant to be better than XTR. I gave it away is was so utter rubbish. Cannondale's have never been desirable since the Super V. eughhh.
  • Then there was the Scalpel. Lets take a niche product (softail) and make it Uber Niche.

I never said the Scalpel was a good idea. At least, not if you're buying with your own money :-P

Andy
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I bought one of my bikes because I'd tested a few and narrowed it down to 2, then chose the one with the colour i prefered :lol: and i'm glad, absolutely no regrets, it's perfect for me and what I want from it, so far it's only limited me a couple of times at dalbeattie, and i'm quite sure I've pushed it past it's intended limits and it's stood up ok. The other I got for £600 down from £1000 at the LBS so it was purely the price aspect, then again it was a road bike and i just wanted best value for money, couldn't have cared less about the brand really, hence why it's a raleigh.

I'm currently in the market for a full suss and there are a few brands i'd rather have than others, a marin, giant, trek, dare i say an orange (5)..., a specialized... rather than scott, commencal, santa cruz, kona, lapierre, cannondale... but now I have a really firm idea of what i'm after from the bike, and i'm on a relatively flexible budget the deciding factor for me will be whichever bike feels the nicest for me. Although i'm hoping i'll find the wolf ridge will feel best....
  • commencal owners secretly hating their bikes? really? i don't hate mine....and as for the comment about frames breaking i think all brands go through some issues at some point, most recently lapierre, and as far as i know there are no reports of 2010 model frames cracking..