Thomas Barnes

TKing
TKing Posts: 43
edited January 2011 in Amateur race
While in France, I managed to watch a local crit race in the small town of Civray. Sounds small, but it was actually Elites and Cat 1's racing in it, including some foreign racers, Thomas Barnes being one of these. He is only 18, but from watching him, it looks as if he has a bit of a knack for racing. Does anyone know of this youngster? Im only 16 myself, and was in a sense of awe watching him competing with seasoned french racers. Also made me want to get into racing, which I am currently building up to. Anyone know anything I would be interested to know about him.

Thanks...

Comments

• Thomas lives in the village of Benest, in the Charente, and is therefore a near neighbour of mine (ie 200 metres down the road!).

He is currently studying near Nantes, I believe, and hopes to turn professional in a couple of years. I believe he has won over 5000 euros in prize money this year;

Unfortunately, if you are thinking about him being the next British cyclist to win the Tour de France - he is about to get French nationality so that he can compete for French teams!
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    benestois wrote:

Unfortunately, if you are thinking about him being the next British cyclist to win the Tour de France - he is about to get French nationality so that he can compete for French teams!

Nothing a fat cheque from Murdoch couldn't sort out :D
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Forgot to mention earlier that another friend and near neighbour is TONY BOSWELL, who rode professionally in the era of Tommy Smith and Jacques Anquetil. He also started his career in France!

Andy
  • utopia
    utopia Posts: 1
    Hi Andy

Where is Tony living now as his shop was at the end of the street where I was growing up and buy the time I was getting in riding his shop closed and I was told they moved :-(
    Now I have been in the trade for some time and I have just finished restoring one of his bikes from the early 80's and it would be grate to know that he is still around.