Riding Buddies and your Domain

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited August 2010 in MTB general
So figured i#d start a thread, see what types of people you ride and what your normal view from the trails is.

For me, I ride with my father in law and one of our other riding buddies. Both pushin 60, and will dust most people, insanely fast.

As far as trails, we normally get some nice views of the mountains we ride in through some of the fields we ride through. Lots of mixed singletrack at the tops after the lonnnnnggggg climbs to get there, and some gnarly downhill bits at the end.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_HYX6gJd5bY0/TGaev ... 3832_n.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_HYX6gJd5bY0/TGaep ... -18_10.jpg

Comments

• I ride on my own because I'm antisocial and I smell.

I ride on the Isle of Man and consider hills to be a necessary evil to get to the downwards bits.
  • Too right, I lvoe a bit climbing though, gets the heart pumping and burns the calories and leaves me feeling great once i've recovered.
  • I know what you mean. It is kind of nice to stop at the top of a really steep / long climb and look back down at where you've just come from.
    It's just more fun to stop at the bottom of a really long descent and look back up and think, I've just come all the way down there, and I WISH there was a lift to take me back up to do it again :P
  • Yet another correct statement :)

Love the uphills, but the descents are just as much fun, if not more. Naturally being in the mountains we've got some serious uphills, but downhills are monsters as well, and omg do I enjoy them. I just love this area :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've been mostly riding on my own this year, since my usual riding buddy's been extremely ill. All is good however, he's hoping to head out for his first ride on Monday, even if it is just dicking around the skills area and pump track at Llandegla to re-start with.
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    I ride on my own, I enjoy the solitude, plus I'm extremely picky about who I spend my time with.

I ride Cannock and my local tracks and bridleways, venturing into the Peaks soon hopefully.
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    I ride with my OH. We are lucky to be on the edge of Dartmoor, so plenty of places to go.

We do tend to ride different trails at different speeds, so can both get the chance to sit and admire the views, while waiting for the other one!

And even offer 'helpful advice' about the trail ahead! (also known as I go first and he listens for the level of swearing to know how technical it its!)
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I also ride mostly with my OH, and we also ride with a group of buddies at least once a week in the New Forest. We head up to Wales at least once a month, with a few trip further afield to Scotland, Peaks etc a few times a year.

I like all MTBing (never tried any proper downhill stuff mind) - some of it's better than others - but I would always rather be MTBing ANYWHERE on ANY trail than not riding at all. I am one of horribly optimistic and cheerful types though who can finish a ride soaking wet, covered in mud, nursing bramble cuts and after 3 punctures yelling 'well, I enjoyed that, how about you?'

Usually met with lots of :? And yes - I even annoy myself sometimes :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I ride on my own - mostly late evening. I've a 12 mile loop up and over KV which takes an hour, and is always fun. I also do an occasional run 20 miles over KV and along the Southdowns Way to my inlaws... that's a great ride, and I usually time it so I arrive for lunch: I walk through the door and a glass of wine is put in my hand!

I ride with the Kingley Vale Mountain Bikers when I can - they are all younger than me, so it's a challenge to keep up. I certainly would never have considered 25+mph downhill through the woods at night if I wasn't trying to stay with them :D. At some point I may even make it all the way down the DH through the woods (they assure me it is 'rollable' but it does not look that way to me). I'm also looking to get over to QECP with them, as I've not really ridden there before.

We do also go for family rides - though these have to be very easy as one of my sons is a beginner. My 8 year old, though, is getting very keen - so we'll be out exploring the local bridal paths this weekend, I hope.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Bred2shred
    Bred2shred Posts: 306
    I ride with different people almost every time i go out, through this web site, there are the regulars but there's always new folk each meet.

http://www.meetup.com/Mountainbikeglasgow/

I think it adds to the ride to have someone new to talk to each time, and being quite new myself i get to find out where all the good trails are.

I wouldn't have ridden half the stuff i have over the past 4 months (or as far) if i hadn't got involved with this group.
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • Mostly I ride by myself, and occasionally with a couple of mates. I enjoy both though. I love the solitude of riding on my own, and the added motivation of riding with other people.

The local domain differs. I'm lucky to live on the edge of nowhere, a few miles from the moors, and surrounded by forests and fields. Yet still 10 minutes from the city.

This was my last solo ride..
    august-2010-036small.jpg

august-2010-066small.jpg

Generally it's just around the doors though. Some half decent riding to be had starting 50 yards from the house.