Scarily high heart rate monitor reading

JDPower
JDPower Posts: 25
edited August 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I've just got back in the saddle after a couple of years of zero exercise (seriously, nothing). Have been getting out usually 3 times a week and doing a steady ten miles in an attempt to start getting the fitness level up.
On the strength of an Amazon email bought a cheap heart rate monitor (a Polar FS3) thinking it would help judge my pace and used this zone calculator to give me an idea where to aim for: http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... c_bcf.html

So programmed in a zone 1max and min into the hrm and set off, cue alarm going off constantly for being over the zone. So turned the alarm off and thought I'll just keep an eye on it and check my average/max rates when I get back.

Now I wasn't pushing hard (legs wouldn't even if I wanted to lol), just keeping a steady pedalling rate and was around the 150-160bpm most of the way. On getting home my average was 155bpm, my max 177bpm (thats 90% of max heart rate, admittedly only by the rough calculation method of max HR)!!!

This seems extremely high, is this something to worry about? Or normal for someone so unfit and will come down over time?

I'm 33, 10st8 (ie skinny bugger), and, if it's relevant, resting heart rate measures around the 75-80bpm mark

Comments

• pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    No - nothing to worry about.

Is your max the 220 - age method? You might as well pick your max by adding up all the numbers that get drawn for the Lottery on Saturday night.

To work out your max, you need to do a proper ramped effort test to exhaustion. Any other method simply doesn't work. All your heart rates for different levels of activity will come down surprisingly quickly as you get fit, as will your resting heart rate.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 25
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I used a couple of different max heart rate calculations: 214-(age * 0.8 ) and one that took weight into account that gave 190. I knew these were unreliable and only useful as a vague guide, just was a little concerned that I was so far above the calculated zones.

Given the 155 average and 177 max (set on a short but steep hill I think), any tips or advice on what sort of safe-ish zone range to aim for? (I'm just trying to get fit enough to enjoy the biking, not training for anything). Would 10 either side of my average be a good starting point?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'll admit that I know ZERO about what heart rates should be whilst exercising, but 177bpm doesn't sound that high for someone being active.
    Is that dangerously high?
  • My riding buddies and I all have heart rate monitors, and at a few points in the rides we peak at about 205 max heart rate. While that is quite bad I wouldn't say dangerously high, you won't kill yourself operating at that high of a rate for a short period of time. I would say your averages while a little high, are not dangerous or bad at all.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    Max and resting heart rates are unique to the individual - the only way to accurately establish them is by measurement.
    If you're doing the 10 miles with out a rest and at a reasonable pace then an average of 155 is in the right ballpark if you want to improve your fitness.
    As your fitness improves you'll be able to maintain a similar pace at a lower HR, and you'll be able to sustain higher HR's for longer.
    For comparison my max is around 190bpm, and I averaged 151 over a 25 mile road ride last sunday.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, is unique to us all, the formulae are notoriously inaccurate, and only provide a general, average correlation over huge groups of people.

Some peopel can hit 240bpm.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    Some peopel can hit 240bpm.
    I've never read mine properly, but I swear mine's 240 when riding hard, going by I can count 4 beats a second just through the pounding in my chest!

Doesn't seem to be a problem though. It's always been like that and I've been doing a lot of tough riding over the last couple of years.

I think the speed isn't dangerous even if high. The real thing to look for as I understand it is how fast it returns to a resting rate. The faster the better.

Mine drops when I stop but will still be up in the 100+ area.

When I get home, for the next 12 hours or so my rate will be around 70 to 80. With further rest it drops back to the normal 60 I usually have (except when I'm on the beers when it shoots up again :D).