I feel retarded for asking but...

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I had some bar end caps made by kone, some blingy red ones that I had plugged into the end of my old bar ends.Their the type where you turn the screw and it expands some small metal rings to get it to stay snug inside the bars. I switched my bars to some carbon yesterday, and for the life of me cannot get the plugs into these new bars, they always seem to be too big. Is there a difference in size between my old bars and carbon ones? The old bars are some ones that came on the bike, some form of easton, but they were hard enough to get the plugs into, and these won't go at all? Have I wasted 20 quid on something I can't use on my bike? If so, anyone want to buy them, and maybe matching seatpost clamp? haha only kidding.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The outer diameter of the bars will be the same, but it might be that the wall is thicker. Which is why they won't fit.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Some bars are double wall or even triple wall, and some are just thick tubing. My azonics won't allow a standard bar end bung in, and I have to trim down the flanges and really force them in. Chances are you won't get your plugs to fit. But you will get something to fit be it just a plastic plug like I use.
  • *AJ* wrote:
    Some bars are double wall or even triple wall, and some are just thick tubing. My azonics won't allow a standard bar end bung in, and I have to trim down the flanges and really force them in. Chances are you won't get your plugs to fit. But you will get something to fit be it just a plastic plug like I use.

Hmm anyone know of any bling plastic plugs then? I think it does seem that the carbon walls are triple walled, their quite a large difference in thickness, never even thought to check that.

Cheers for the replies guys!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Buy some bling superstar grips with anodised lock on rings they come with black plastic end caps with a superstar logo, and you still get the bling with the lock on rings.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Lizard skins do different coloured bar plugs that are plastic
  • *AJ* wrote:
    Buy some bling superstar grips with anodised lock on rings they come with black plastic end caps with a superstar logo, and you still get the bling with the lock on rings.

I've only gone and bought myself some new specialzed lock ons the other day, and they came with end plugs but threw them away without thinking.

The superstar ones are looking very tempting though, may have to rinse some money on that site.
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    What about these?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27994

I'd be careful trying to force any bar ends into carbon bars and especially so when tightening those expandable type so you don't damage the bars.