dumb blonde question

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
I'm having a bit of a day of it here to stick with me on this one.

Need a new front light for my bike, nothing expensive and I will be riding in well lit areas around Exeter so it dosen't need to be stupidly bright.

I was thinking along the lines of a Knog Strobe but I am open to suggestions, it's more to be seen rather than see.
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Smart ... 360047700/

These are amazing, especially for the price.
  • I plumped for the USB-rechargeable Blackburn Flea. Just about bright enough for unlit country roads, but only lasts a couple of hours on full power. In flashing mode will last all week. Main reason for buying was the lifetime warranty, plus everywhere I go (work, mates', parents', etc) has something with a USB port with which I can recharge, if I need to. Means I don't need to keep spare batteries in the saddle bag
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    whyamihere wrote:

Not tried one out in anger yet but I did buy one earlier in the year. Tested it briefly out by pointing it out of the window after dark and it did light up the house on the other side of the road quite nicely :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I plumped for the USB-rechargeable Blackburn Flea. Just about bright enough for unlit country roads, but only lasts a couple of hours on full power. In flashing mode will last all week. Main reason for buying was the lifetime warranty, plus everywhere I go (work, mates', parents', etc) has something with a USB port with which I can recharge, if I need to. Means I don't need to keep spare batteries in the saddle bag

annoyingly I have one of those knocking about somewhere but can't seem to find it. quite a bright little so and so around the town.

To be honest as a driver I am not a fan of flashing front lights, some lights on the market are too much like strobe lights and have caused some drivers I know problems (not full on fits but twitches and such). I would rather recharge a light more often and have it on static
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Rolf F wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Not tried one out in anger yet but I did buy one earlier in the year. Tested it briefly out by pointing it out of the window after dark and it did light up the house on the other side of the road quite nicely :lol:

I have two: the original half Watt one (BSpoke) and the 1Watt Smart Lunar.

It is indeed a nice bright light, withstands rainstorms and snowstorms, works down to -5C, but, at 1W, only really suitable for partially lit roads at best.

I did use it for commuting during the whole of last winter and:
    1) you really must know the route and where the potholes are on unlit country lanes at 7PM or later
    2) it does run out of juice quickly, since it only runs on two AA batteries.

Having said that, you can run it on recharcheable AA batteries.

This year I am waiting for the 2011 range of Exposure Lights Strada to come out.