CUBE bikes

stehall111
stehall111 Posts: 5
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I'm new to this and would like a sub £500 hardtail to throw around my local trails, I've been using a pals bike on the red and a few black runs so I'm slowly learning. I read the mtb mag 'dirty dozen' list but most have sold out in all the shops. A guy reccommended Cube bikes, to be honest I don't know if they're good or just ok? I've seen two, a bit of help would be appreciated please. Thanks!
http://www.cubecycles.co.uk/cube_en/men ... nalog.html
http://www.cubecycles.co.uk/cube_en/men ... ntion.html

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Have a look at a GT Aggressor XC2/3 or a Carrera Kraken/Fury-The spec seems to be a lot better for the money
  • Are these Halfords bikes? To be honest I want to steer clear of that place, I've heard too many tales of woe regarding set up etc
  • GJC
    GJC Posts: 198
    There is a halfords by me and the guy who manages the store is passionate about is mountain biking and if a was looking for another bike i would go straight there if a fancied a bike there with no problems dont be put off by the name, halfords have many happy customers

GJC
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The thing is, you could buy a GT/Carrera, and have it rebuilt by your lbs for much less than upgrading the cube to an equivalent spec
  • tails
    tails Posts: 30
    I think the replies above are right, there are better specced bikes for the price and also some bikes are going on sale now.

However, I got the attention about 6 weeks ago and i've been out on it once/twice a week, mostly at trail centres. I really enjoy it and the review on this site is very helpful. The fork is diifferent now and I think there s a Felt review with the same fork.

There are things I might change but I think this would have happened regardless of what bike I bought as I'm still very much new to this.
  • Cube bikes are very good, rather enjoy mine and the geometry works well for me. I recommend getting a cube, i've had no problem from mine except for brakes, but thats a hayes matter not a cube matter.
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    I got a Cube LTD Race recently as the first MTB I spent any real cash on and I'm chuffed to bits with it. Haven't brought it out on any epic rides yet but had a few jaunts around a local quarry on it and it handles great, climbs like a mountain goat and is proper nippy going flat out. Like all the Cubes its got a sweet paint job, but under that its a great bike too to boot. Only starting out myself and I'm sure there's many on here who have other recommendations but I'm well happy with mine. Think CRC have a 15 % offer on Cubes at the moment too.