all rounder tyres

t0pc4t
t0pc4t Posts: 947
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
maxxis minions any cop? Saw a good review of them in MBUK and want to replace the michelins that came as standard on my anthem x4

do mainly trails / singletrack, no heavy downhil or freeride business.
Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

Comments

• shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Never run Minions myself, but they get a lot of positive reviews as a good all-rounder.

Or if you've got the cash to splash, Schwalbe Nobby Nic's are also highly-regarded as all-rounders.

I've also found the Maxxis Ignitor's pretty good. Some people think they are too loose and unpredictable as a front tyre, but I've found them ok personally.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    For XC personally i swear by panny fire XC pro's, ive had them on my last 3 bikes and they've survived everything i could throw at them and come back for more.

I tried continental mountain kings and whilst they're ok grip wise i suffered an obscene amount of punctures using them so tossed them off and went back to my fave xc pro's.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    cheers guys
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    A good mix for XC is a Minion on the front with an Ignitor on the rear.

I ran that for a while, atm I'm running a Minion on the front with a High Roller on the rear but my favourite is 2 front Minions

That includes some light DH though so for just XC I would go with Minion/Ignitor
  • vmgscot
    vmgscot Posts: 120
    Tried a few combinations (old Fire Pro's, Mountain KIngs, etc) and have finally settled on Minion DHF up front and a High Roller on the rear (both 2.3 single ply).

Seem to work really well for me...more confidence. I ride mainly trail centres (live in the midst of 7_stanes) and they also worked well in Spain. Much less (pinch) punctures than the fires and Kings.
    vmgscot
  • I'm now running Maxxis High-Rollers super-tacky 2.35's and I have to say I preferred my old Ignitors- both on damp trails and on Tarmac.