Building Carbon Frame

trekrider127
trekrider127 Posts: 83
edited September 2010 in Workshop
End of the season nears and I've decided to build myself a carbon frame over the winter (as you do ...!). The front triangle is almost finished in foam, ready for carbon wrapping.

Has anyone taken on the same project? How did it go?

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I haven't, but Damon Rinard did: there's a good account on these pages (a few years old, but doubtless still relevant):

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/
  • balthazar wrote:
    I haven't, but Damon Rinard did: there's a good account on these pages (a few years old, but doubtless still relevant):

Thanks - yes that was the inspirational site. He also carbon wrapped a foam.

I'm thinking of wrapping the foam then dissolving out the foam using acetone so that a hollow tube is formed. Has anyone else tried this?
  • Don't try anything difficult now ...
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    If you do this post some photos.

I've been intrigued by building a steel frame and the thought of that scares me shootless so I've got to admire you trying carbon. Hope it all goes well.
  • Mixing acetone with carbon? You will be able to transport your frame with a spoon!
  • RecordAce wrote:
    Mixing acetone with carbon? You will be able to transport your frame with a spoon!

Not true once the epoxy has cured - acetone dissolves uncured epoxy. Proven by both personal experience - a pile of hardened brushes and the advice of a carbon supplier.

Foam frame almost finished - I'll post come picks as it progresses - either to dismal failure or some semblance of success.
  • ynyswen24 wrote:

Please could someone give me the heads up on how to post a pic?
  • Hopefully this attempt at posting a pic works

yxLUXUxHYdw4jRohaZ6zWw?feat=directlink

Edit:

No - didn't work. Here's a link

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/photo/yxLUXUxHYdw4jRohaZ6zWw?feat=directlink
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    edited September 2010
    ynyswen24 wrote:

Please could someone give me the heads up on how to post a pic?

I love it. I, and I am sure many other memebrs are reading this thread with our jaws on the floor at the thought of what you are doing and I wish you all the very best. It does amuse me though that you are beaten by how to post a photo. :D
    Please keep us all informed I think it's fantastic
  • Rough_Foam_1.jpg
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Looking good so far!
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    There's a lot of recumbent builders who have built their own frames - see http://www.recumbents.com
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Blimey, that's some undertaking; am fascinated to see how this progresses.

One question (for now). We keep reading how the carbon lay-up and direction of the fibres affects the frame's characteristics (eg stiffness, comfort etc). So how do you kow what characteristics your frame will have? Or do you work with this stuff in your day job? Or is it a case of trial and error?
  • Turbo Man wrote:
    ..do you work with this stuff in your day job?
    I think he's answered that already !!!! (I'm speaking as someone who has)
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Looks good so far. I'm interested in doing something like this for my degree final, I used to work with carbon fibre and it's not as scary as people think (or maybe I'm just underqualified!)
  • Turbo Man wrote:
    One question (for now). We keep reading how the carbon lay-up and direction of the fibres affects the frame's characteristics (eg stiffness, comfort etc). So how do you kow what characteristics your frame will have? Or do you work with this stuff in your day job? Or is it a case of trial and error?

Experience from other carbon projects is that the flexional variance is only marginally influenced by layup direction. Strength is ensured by the woven characteristic. So its pretty difficult to really influence flex through layup. My guess is unless the big manufacturers actually strand wind the frames - then direction is less critical than areas of increased layers. Marketing hype is a wonderful asset in product development (which is my background).

However I'm pretty sure that geometry and dimension ARE critical to ride. For this I've built a template from the Cervelo website (P3) and wandered around bike shops with a ruler! Does that sound like trial and error? I think so. I think computer modelling is a bit beyond a home project, and the guys in the design office would probably not be over excited at the idea of working one of my home projects.

Having got this far and learn some stuff I'm now thinking of putting this frame on hold and building another frame based on the Cervelo R3. I won't have to mess around with internal cable routing etc. and hopefully I'll work out some of these question before building a more complex frame.
  • AidanR wrote:
    There's a lot of recumbent builders who have built their own frames - see http://www.recumbents.com

Great link - thanks
  • MRadd
    MRadd Posts: 205
    I'd (well, me and the boys at the shop) would be REALLY interested to know how all this works!

Do you know what geometry its all going to be?
    : "Why don't i remember breaking my face?" :

: Semi Professional Grease Monkey, Full time Tea boy... :
  • I know the geometry its planned to be!

It's based on the Cervelo P3, 51cm. The full geometry is available in their website.
  • I know the geometry its planned to be!

It's based on the Cervelo P3, 51cm. The full geometry is available on their website.