Can I just Say.............

mak3m
mak3m Posts: 1,394
edited August 2010 in MTB general
.............what a nice bunch of people Mountain Bikers are

and im not drunk

been riding for exactly a month, losing weight, getting fitter and meeting really nice peeps. Everytime Im on my bike other bikers (and the occasional jogger) always wave smile or say hello.

Went to my first trail centre today and after the ride stood chatting to loads of random people in the p-ing rain.

Im assuming my background has made me to cynical and i wish i had discovered this years ago.

Comments

• I mainly get a few dirty looks, i guess its because im 18 and not wearing lycra :oops:
  • I always find a load of friendly people to say hello to.... when you're riding on your own its nice to know that there are some respectable people out there that will help you out if you have an oopsy daisy!
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    :oops: think i was more than a lil tipsy but stand by my expressions of love :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I mainly get a few dirty looks, i guess its because im 18 and not wearing lycra :oops:
    You have got to be kidding me. If people look down their noses at you because you're not in lycra, ignore them.
    Mountain biking is about having fun, not wearing ballerina outfits.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    MTB types generally are nicer it seems.
    Went out riding with a friend few weeks back at local Whakarewarewa forest, drove over and parked in car park, half way round he noticed car keys werent in his back pocket.
    Got back to car after 3hr ride, keys sitting in drivers door, car and all possessions untouched.

A good end to a good ride.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I mainly get a few dirty looks, i guess its because im 18 and not wearing lycra :oops:
    You have got to be kidding me. If people look down their noses at you because you're not in lycra, ignore them.
    Mountain biking is about having fun, not wearing ballerina outfits.

Agreed, I seriously doubt it's because you're not in lycra, or your age, unless they've specifically said so.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fyldesmurf
    fyldesmurf Posts: 412

I don't think it'll be age because i'm 17 and spend time talking to loads of great people.Also 95% of peope around where ride don't wear lycra.If any of them do give you hassle for not wearing it just nail them on the descent an see who's laughing at the bottom :wink:
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    mak3m wrote:
    chatting to loads of random people in the p-ing rain.

Adverse conditions definitely bring out the best in mtb riders. The mutual acknowledgement that you could be indoors with a cuppa instead of up a hill, covered in mud.

:P
  • I just find outdoorsy people in general seem to be a much friendlier bunch. Be it walking, biking w/e

Living out in the country no matter what you were doing if you saw someone there was always a smile annd a cheery hello. It seems the city types don't have the time to smile. It's nice to get out there again and know that human beings still have some friendliness left in them.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • I mainly get a few dirty looks, i guess its because im 18 and not wearing lycra :oops:
    Lol, lycra snobs
  • Dont worry, be happy!
  • The thing that first drew me to mountain biking was when I was out riding by myself just on streets a few months ago, and stacked pretty hard because a car passed me way too close and their mirror clipped my bars and knocked me off, and just watched them drive off while laying on the side of the road pretty cut up and not wanting to move. Mind you I was only on my 350pound crossbike so wasn't kitted up or anything. A car with a few MTBs on the roof rack stopped and checked if I was ok, and offered to give me a lift back into town ebcause I was about 10km outside city limits just cruising learning the area and doin a bit of fitness. Ended up talking to them quite alot and meet up for rides every now n then. Some really good people are in this sport.