Anyone used juicy 5s and exilir 5s?

little wiser
little wiser Posts: 662
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hi was just wanting to get some feed back on your thoughts of these brakes, and if the exilrs are worth upgrading to?
Or just stop buying stuff and ride :lol: .

Comments

• i bought elixir r's and they are absolutely amazing :D merlin have a good deal on them too at the moment

i went up from tektros, but lent my freind my old tektro and we both went for a ride and swapped bikes for abit. the power difference is stunning (the tektros a 203mm, elixirs 185mm) and the feel is sooo much better too

so in short yes, get them if you can afford them :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    5s to 5s not worth it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks nick the voice of reason ok then juicy 5,s to ?????
    Would just like a better lever feel but if have to drop a load of money to get it may wait to see what santa may bring!.
    Exilr cr?, Hope (which i love but way mega $$$), shimano?, or formula (of which i know nothing!).
    So please insert your views :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Why Change? Wait untill the Juicy's break....

Anything else is getting into stop spending money and get riding territory!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ddraver wrote:
    Why Change?
    He's already answered that, to get a better lever feel.

And on that note, then the best thing you could do is ask people you see on the trail for a feel of their brakes. As odd as it sounds, you would then get a sense of which brakes have what kinds of lever feel.
    BUT, please bear in mind that riders brakes may be in various states of maintenance.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Why Change?
    He's already answered that, to get a better lever feel.

And on that note, then the best thing you could do is ask people you see on the trail for a feel of their brakes. As odd as it sounds, you would then get a sense of which brakes have what kinds of lever feel.
    BUT, please bear in mind that riders brakes may be in various states of maintenance.

My juicys 5s are set up correctly and i hate the lever feel to much throw (thanks supersonic :D ), and i have hope mono mini on another bike with braided lines which i love just hate the thought of having to drop approx £300 on hopes but i know this is probably where it will end :oops: .
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394

Like full of mud!

I had the juicy 5s once upon a time until someone stole them off my bike. (I didn't notice and started riding off, nearly went into oncoming traffic!) I don't think you should change just yet unless they're annoying you and aren't performing.

I know have Hope M4s and they're fantastic. Some people don't get on with Hope but I love them. I find the lever action on them to be really good; smooth and responsive.

Have fun deciding.
    Many happy trails!
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    I had juicy 3's and upgraded to elixir R - performance-wise they're definitley a bit more powerful, but the main benefit is the ease of pad swap for me and the better shaped lever
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I currently have XT discs with 203mm rotors and there's planty of power there even in the wet, my personal faves though are Hope its just a pity they cost so dam much.

You do get what u pay for though and they perform and look exceptional.
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    Just to add into the mix. I got some code 5's. That's a code caliper and juicy lever. Much more brake than I'd ever want and a real bargain. The difference on the front with a 203 disc is amazing. All my friends covert them.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    See brakes are so personal,

Have seen far to many hopes go south with expensive repairs that i jsut daren't trust them, and the hopes i have used haven't had any more real power than my Juicy 5's. If i was gonna change i would stick with avid/hayes as there price to performance just destroys hope's brakes.

(And no i'm not a hope hater, I think they make good hubs great headsets and all, but there brakes have never impressed me)
  • See brakes are so personal )

I think this hits the nail on the head so think i may start a new thread with what brakes you run and why, also do you want to change?.