Is 7% Steep?

2»

Comments

• edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    edited August 2010
    thegibdog wrote:
    Are gradients less than 10% signposted? I would've thought it must have been 1 in 7 or 17%.

As pointed out by Mc Boom, anyone who bothers to go onto Google street view can see that the sign at the top of hill clearly shows 1 : 7. This makes it a pretty challenging hill by most people's standards.

EstoverHill-1.jpg

I think that the good advice on this thread still very much applies and the OP should be fine if he sticks at it.

Edindevon
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585
    thegibdog wrote:
    Are gradients less than 10% signposted? I would've thought it must have been 1 in 7 or 17%.

They are, 5 or 6% signs are regularly provided on high speed roads in particular such as the 6% on the A38 from Exeter Racecourse down to Exeter but the DfT advice is 10% descents and 15% ascents (10% if longer than 1600m).
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    pomtarr wrote:
    @ the OP - there's always the chance it says 7% but is actually steeper - UK gradient signage is not always that accurate IMO.

You can say that again. At the weekend I went over the Horseshoe Pass (signposted 20% towards the top). I doubt very much it is really 20%, especially since I don't think the OS map has a chevron on it.

On the other hand there is a road near my home that is very much steeper than the Horseshoe Pass that is signposted 10% which is definitely wrong.

Another road into my village has one chevron on an OS map, a nasty switchback with an adverse camber but doesn't have any sign about how steep it is.
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    I was the same, last year when i started hills i now hardly notice i used to find hard, hill reps helped i found this hill about 15minutes from my home

its around 240ft in 0.58mile its steep in places i used to ride out there and do it five times and each time try to go as fast as i could without going to far, it improved my hill climbing no end.
  • pomtarr wrote:
    @ the OP - there's always the chance it says 7% but is actually steeper - UK gradient signage is not always that accurate IMO.

You can say that again. At the weekend I went over the Horseshoe Pass (signposted 20% towards the top). I doubt very much it is really 20%, especially since I don't think the OS map has a chevron on it.

On the other hand there is a road near my home that is very much steeper than the Horseshoe Pass that is signposted 10% which is definitely wrong.

Another road into my village has one chevron on an OS map, a nasty switchback with an adverse camber but doesn't have any sign about how steep it is.

Another example of inaccurate signage near me has a 12% sign at the top and a 20% sign at the bottom :?
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Over time in Hong Kong I built up to being able to do 5km at an average of 9%. It took me over 9 months of riding to be able to do it. If you're new to cycling 7% will be hard work.

Now I've moved to the Netherlands I'll be struggling to find anything over 1km averaging much over 5%. I had to laugh yesterday - a little hill of about 600m at around 6% is marked with a double chevron on my map! :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    edited September 2010
    Now this is steep! :shock:

Ignore the beginning crap in the car park. I can think of better ways of riding the route rather than sitting on a hog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtYVjxMr ... re=related

watch?v=OtYVjxMrHp8&feature=related
    [/url][/code]
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • 7% is a good gradient for a road climb. Fairly typical for HC rides in the Tour (that stretch for 15km+).

Factors that may make it harder/easier include:

pace
    gearing
    rider and bike weight
    consistency of gradient
    distance ridden before climb
    condition of rider
    length of climb
    weather (wind against, rain etc)
    www.goinggoingbike.com