First ever 100 mile Sportive - how much food to carry?

2»

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    100 miler may constitute for me:

Two bottles with sports powder energy mix (~150 cals per bottle)
    Couple of bananas
    Couple of 'free' GO! bars or similar offered event staple
    Couple of 'free' gels stashed in case
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Everyone is different and or course it can depend on how you want to ride the Sportive, i.e. just get round or go for a time.

Personally I tend to eat a high carb breakfast of around 1000 calories, and consume 3-400 calories per hour on the bike, sometimes a bit more but 300 minimum. Usually about 1 bar + a handful of fig rolls or salted pretzels. I tend to reply on my own food as you never know what's going to be at the feed stops, but again, everyone's different. I'll sometimes use other foods for variety but that's pretty much it.

I drink every 15 mins or so and use either Nunn or Elete Water for hydration. My drinks are usually a mix of Hi-5 in one bottle and orange juice and water in the other, with spare Hi-5 sachets for refills.

This works for me and gets me round most in gold times.
  • I devour the following on a typical 10 miler:

7 roast turkeys
    3 lamb koftas
    14 jumbo battered sausages
    bananas and custard
    17 wagon wheels
    6 panda pops (blueberry)
    1 partridge
    1 pear tree

Sorry, couldnt help myself. Just astounded at how much people get through! I do about 2-3 gels and 500ml water in 50-60 miles.
    Giant Rapid 3
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    The poster is doing 100 miles... not 50-60.

To note, I could get away with not eating much if at all on a 50 ride, however pushing past that my energy levels crash so the difference on me getting round a 100 event in comparison depends a lot on eating the right foods. :roll:
  • Sorry - I wasn't knocking any of the comments/advice at all, as a newb I was just surprised (and intrigued) by people's differing energy intake whilst riding. I appreciate my input was utter cack here.
    Giant Rapid 3