Recon Gold RL

bertberr
bertberr Posts: 151
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Looking at this fork at Merlin for just under £200. They describe it as a coil fork, but even with the relatively sparse info available on the web & srams own site (they only show 2011 versions), it looks like they are solo air rather than coil. Anybody got one to confirm?

Based on the 2011 spec, it looks like a cheaper / simpler Reba, though I could be missing something here...

Or I've been offered a 2007 Reba Race in good condition for £155, but obviously there's no warranty etc, and whilst I'll probably be OK with it, you can never know for sure.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They can be solo air or coil, and are indeed a cheaper Reba.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    supersonic wrote:
    They can be solo air or coil, and are indeed a cheaper Reba.

here we go again with the RS product line-up :lol:
    reminds me of the warped marketing behind the porsche 911 model range.
    :D
  • bertberr
    So, the coil one is more like a non u-turn recon 351, with motion control etc...?

One option is to get a 100mm fixed travel fork now, then sell them next year when I get a longer travel frame (100-140), and get myself one of these:

Tora 318 u-turn
    Recon 351 u-turn
    Revelation 426 Coil u-turn
    Sektor Coil u-turn

Depending on where you look, these all seem to be pretty much the same (chassis / technology etc), and just differ on steerer / stanchion material.

Oh the joys of Rockshox model hierarchy... :?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    get a sektor coil u-turn now, no point buying a fork and then selling it for a loss just to buy another new one.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    The website does explain each model and options. And weights. Just need to take a little time to read it!

No, the coil one is a Reba chassis with a coil spring.
  • bertberr
    supersonic wrote:
    The website does explain each model and options. And weights. Just need to take a little time to read it!

No, the coil one is a Reba chassis with a coil spring.

I have read it... on a number of occasions! Quite how a company the size of SRAM manages to make its product descriptions so bloody confusing (overview & specifications), I don't know. All the different models descriptions blend into each other, so after a while you eyes hurt and you just give up... :shock:

I mean how difficult is it to just list the models in some sort of matrix with the corresponding specs....

OK rant over, I think I might just get the coil 100-140 Sektors, that would be more sensible in the long run as I can just swap them between frames.... only slight downer is you can't get the coil 100-140 in a 20mm axle, just QR, and I don't really want dual air or need 150mm (or 140 really, hence my considering the 85-130 models above). :?
  • supersonic
    The 85-130mm are older model Recon and Tora.

Contact CRC, they may have the coil Uturn Sektor in maxle:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=54611

All dual air models are adjustable in travel, downwards, with spacers.