Home made camera mounting

Stupidboypike
Stupidboypike Posts: 84
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I'm not fat, I'm big boned......

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    The footage will be incredibly shaky. The best videos are shot from helmet or chest cams because your body isolates the shaking of the bike.
  • Aaaah.....................
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just cannot stand handlebar mounted footage. It sways horribly from side to side.
  • matty_boy76
    matty_boy76 Posts: 88
    edited August 2010
    I just cannot stand handlebar mounted footage. It sways horribly from side to side.

+1

Best mounts are in nor particular order (IMHO):

On your helmet because of the damping provided by your body and it follows your natural eyeline,

On the bottle nuts facing forward showing front fork travel, you'll need to damp it with some sort of sponge(like those green things you do the washing up with). You see less of the trail but do have a natural focus on the fork.

Facing rear on a stay showing the gears, again damped - probably best used in conjunction with another mount or cam

On your frame badge facing forwards - again damped with something. This shows the trail ahead really clearly but can be a little dull for the viewer - cams always seem to flatten terrain and slow you down. :D
  • Anonymous
    cams don't flatten the terrain or make it look slower. You're just riding much slower than you think you are.
  • Just bought a Kodak zx1 and am looking for options..................
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Just bought a Kodak zx1 and am looking for options..................
    great choice
  • Seems ok but am having software issues........

Then again, I have Vista!
  • Anonymous
    Seems ok but am having software issues........

Then again, I have Vista!
    Won't be vista's fault. :roll:
  • Of course not........ As if.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376

Whilst I see your point, I have to say handlebar mounted footage can be decent with a decent cam and mount.

See here
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    IMO you can't really see much of the action with the bar mounted camera, just the trail.

The best I think are the:
    Chest mount
    and the reverse helmet camera
  • Anonymous
    R0B75 wrote:

Whilst I see your point, I have to say handlebar mounted footage can be decent with a decent cam and mount.

See here
    That's not too bad, but it looks like a very smooth trail though.
    I think the ones that put me off are where the rider has to pick a way through rock gardens and roots, so the bars are always snapping from one side to the other.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 wrote:

See here
    That's not too bad, but it looks like a very smooth trail though.
    I think the ones that put me off are where the rider has to pick a way through rock gardens and roots, so the bars are always snapping from one side to the other.

Check out some of the other of my vids from that link, especially peak district part 3 with some footage of the beast. See what you think.
  • Thats persuaded me to go ahead with the bar mount
  • Anonymous
    R0B75 wrote:
    Check out some of the other of my vids from that link, especially peak district part 3 with some footage of the beast. See what you think.
    Well, for the first minute or so, the mount works great, yeah, but it's all smooth trails.
    I just can't watch any more than that, the jerky, frame-dropping video, and the terrible image quality just drives me nuts. Sorry.
    I just can't believe that we're in 2010, and still haven't got any decent quality, affordable helmet cams.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 wrote:
    Well, for the first minute or so, the mount works great, yeah, but it's all smooth trails.
    I just can't watch any more than that, the jerky, frame-dropping video, and the terrible image quality just drives me nuts. Sorry.
    I just can't believe that we're in 2010, and still haven't got any decent quality, affordable helmet cams.

This camera does come with a helmet mount too, I will try it out but I've always found them to be worse, mainly because you're constanly moving your head and unless you have your helmet ridiculously tight on your head the camera shake is even worse!

Chest cam view makes me feel sick watching it so I find bar mounted view more watchable, plus the fact that when watching it gives you a good sense of speed and feel of the terrain.

I suppose its horses for courses at the end of the day. :)
  • Anonymous
    I meant the quality of the camera itself, my bad. I know it's not technically a "helmet cam".

And I still prefer head, chest, or bike-mounted cam.
    Next to or under the downtube is good, as you can see the suspension dealing with the hits, it gives a great sense of how rough the trail it.
  • R0B75
    I meant the quality of the camera itself, my bad. I know it's not technically a "helmet cam".

And I still prefer head, chest, or bike-mounted cam.
    Next to or under the downtube is good, as you can see the suspension dealing with the hits, it gives a great sense of how rough the trail it.

I made myself a mount for my camera that fits on the top tube or down tube but I'm scared of damaging the camera. If a stone flies up and smacks the lens its bye bye camera. :lol:
  • Just under the top of the top tube works for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QV6TExf8YU

although this one on the top tube was very steady considering the terrain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQi6tfckC1U&feature=related
  • Some nice vids there.