Chilean Miners

2»

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    According to the Beeb they know how long it will be take and now have a nice supply of anti-depressants to make sure they don't care it will take until Christmas.
  • I'm slightly confused, having looked at the diagram here as to why they don't just clear the rockfall and shore up the passageway rather than drilling a new hole to (presumably) drag people through?

Or why they don't start the drilling from further down?

You're wasted here in London Liv.

:lol::lol:

I KNOW! With an incisive mind like mine, they could have them out in hours.

Or several hundred rescuers trapped at different levels of a huge mine...
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    From an oil drilling perspective, the drill string (tube connecting the drill bit with the driving rig at the surface) is made up of 30 foot long steel pipes that are screwed together as the drill penetrates the rock, so you need 30 feet plus of headroom to handle those pipes and screw the new piece of pipe onto the existing string, which explains why they're drilling from the surface not from within the mine. Plus you need mud pumps and all the associated infrastructure. I guess they're not trying to dig through the falls for worry of causing more falls?

I did hear a brilliant quote today on the BBC:
    The miners were offered anti depressants, but the answer came back asking for cold beer
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I like the bit about them not putting on weight because they won't fit up the hole that's drilled.

Stuck down there with nothing much to do all day and you have to diet!
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Nearly there!! Go on Chile - what a superb feel good story, has me hooked.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Nice to hear a good news story for a change.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Pah! This rescue is rubbish.
    Scott Tracy would have got to Chile in about 5 minutes (from anywhere in the world) in Thunderbird 1 to organise things, Vergil would have been a few minutes behind in Thunderbird 2 with a special mining pod (as designed by Brains).
    From begining to end (everyone out safely) about an hour.
    During that time the Tracys would also have foiled a plot for some dodgy media type to take pictures of their equipment.

Seriously though, a fantastic good news story.

How long until the film depicting George W Bush personally digging the American aid workers out with his bare hands. Artistic licence may be used.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!