full face helmet

kathg
kathg Posts: 142
edited February 2011 in Women
Hi all,

Any of you girls (guys) wear full face helmets? Thinking of getting one after one of our group on our wonderful alpine riding trip (with alpcycles - highly recommend them) took a fall and knocked herself unconcious and skinned her face - really nasty...
Also, going to 7 Stanes October and a few people say they'd have worn one on for e.g. Kirroughtree black run, if they'd had one.

What do you all reckon? Any makes/models recommended? I figure I've only got one face and head and quite like it really!!!

Kathg

Comments

• Which ever fits best and is in your price range tbh...

Really need to get out and try some for size!

They all do the same sorta job, look for something without a snap buckle as they can become uncomfortable/irritating!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hmmm, I don't wear a full face helmet at present but it's something i've thought about... I would certainly be interested to hear what you go for in the end, and what you think of it (comfort etc).

Personally, I decided to stick to a 'normal' helmet as I don't think riding style justifies a full face. If I was into downhill riding for example, then I would.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I haven't got a full face either, although it's something I often think about getting because I really don't want to bust up my face/head :shock:

Most of the time I probably wouldn't need one, but sometimes, I think I'd be more confident on the bike if I had one!

Does anyone know of a shop which has a lot of full face helmets in stock to try out? I hardly ever see them locally.

Let us know what you get :D
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    I haven't got a full face helmet - I'm similar to Miss Notax in that I don't think my riding style really warrants it, plus I think I'd get so hot in one, not to mention a bit claustrophobic. I dIdn't like wearing one when I did my CBT for exactly those reasons!

But I can understand how you might re-evaluate the need for one when you witness someone having an accident like that. Nasty. Hope she's recovering okay...

I am however interested in your experiences holidaying with Alpcycles :wink: Was just reading an article about them in an old MBR the other day and the riding sounded amazing. Having just got back from a pretty lousy holiday over in Chatel where it all seemed to be about huge crowds of downhillers and crazy berms with massive breaking bumps, we're definately looking for something that ticks more of the quiet-xc-singletrack type of riding that we actually love. Did you DIY when it came to finding your way about? Or did you pay for guiding?

Rosie
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    How about the happy medium of a helmet like the MET Parachute?
    It's got the face guard, but not the whole bulk of a full facer :D
    Caz xx
  • kathg
    Hi Rosie,

Alpcycles and Meribel were just soo good. We stayed with them for 4 nights and had three days riding. Chalet, food, company were great, couldn't fault it. The riding was just perfect, totally peaceful, no crowds, no braking bumps and a wonderful mixture of x country off the lifts and amazing huge descents! Because it's so quiet and undiscovered you really need to use the guiding service coz it's all local knowledge other than a few specifically created mtb tracks. The riding is on footpaths, no problem with this in these valleys, so if you went it alone you would be unlikely to find the good riding.
    The guiding/coaching is with a local French outfit and an AlpCycles rider comes with you (brings up the rear and v, v supportive when you get knackered!!) Alex, the guide was fab (coaches the French National DH team), so knowledgeable, fun and transformed all of our riding in about 2 hours! This guiding/ coaching cost me and OH 70 euros for both of us for 3 days - bloody good value.
    After Meribel, we drove over to Italy and had another brilliant 3 days riding at Sauze D'Oulx, part of the Alpi Bike Resorts complex. This was all totally handleable alone as its all set up for MTB ing and the maps and routes are v. clear.
    Shame Chatel was not so good, sounded a real contrast to our experience.

Still, its summer here again this weekend, so off on my bike this pm and the weekend.. Hooray!

Kathg
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    gb2gw wrote:
    I am however interested in your experiences holidaying with Alpcycles :wink: Was just reading an article about them in an old MBR the other day and the riding sounded amazing. Having just got back from a pretty lousy holiday over in Chatel where it all seemed to be about huge crowds of downhillers and crazy berms with massive breaking bumps, we're definitely looking for something that ticks more of the quiet-xc-singletrack type of riding that we actually love. Did you DIY when it came to finding your way about? Or did you pay for guiding?

Rosie

Sorry to hear your holiday wasn't quite as you expected :(

We went to Verbier with these guys a few years ago http://www.bikeverbier.com/index_bv.php who I couldn't recommend enough :D

Lovely chalet, amazing food, great facilities and guiding included in the cost - loved it. We were in quite a big group and they split the group into 2; a 'nutter' group, and a more flowy xc group. I was in the latter, guided by Lucy, and it really was amazing. In fact i'm trying to convenince Chris to go there again next year!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • kathg
    It's really good to get feedback on summer hol venues and guiding companies. We really don't want to waste our hard earned cash or even be a 'bit disappointed' after looking forward to riding in new areas abroad do we?
    Obviously Chatel is one to avoid.. another of my friends had a very similar experience in Les Gets this summer before escaping to xc paradise of the Vercors mountains near Grenoble.

Any other summer holiday reports out there?

Bike Verbier looks great by the way Miss Notax! :D Best get saving up!
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Back to the OP subject, I had a bit of a crash on Monday and was lucky enough to break my fall with my chin (could've been my face, onto rock...would've been naaaaasty)

I have a full face (661 Evolution), but know that for most XC and trail centre riding it's overkill, so didn't use it, course I regret it now - lots of comments on my scabby chin!

I looked at the MET Parachute, but apparently they've had rubbish reviews... bit of a pain, because it would be perfect for what I need. So does anyone know of any other helmets that are doing the XC/full-face cross over??

EDIT: Just started reading some reviews for myself, and most people love the MET.
    Looks like I might be buying one after all!
  • Nah i'm not minted i got it in the CRC sale last year for 100 bucks. I like it, it seems to give extra confinence when i'm doing a spot of downhilling at the local hill plus when i get to the top it keeps my ears warm from the blasting wind.

If you can find a cheap carbon i'd recommend as they are that little bit lighter which makes wearing it a lot easier. And you can make the boys jealous.

I've got an XC lid and jsut swap about depending on the type of riding i'm doing. It was essential for my trip to the alps this year!

I've seen the chin scraping someone got off a parachute. The front really isn't designed to protect that chinny chin chin.
  • kathg
    Tried the Met but it didn't seem that substantial also tried the Giro Remedy and that was a good fit in a 'small'. Am gonna wait before I buy to try a carbon version of the remedy but am put off by the horrendous over the top graphic design on them :? ! Would be fine if you were a teenage boy but 'mutant, demon' things are not really my bag!!!!

Am finding real difficulty in getting to try these things on as such a small range are stocked in small size in my lbs and in fact everywhere I've ridden this summer (Whinlatter, Keswick, Afan.....etc). Living in the rural depths of N.Wales there are no big bike shops nearby, will keep looking anyway!

Thanks for suggestions all.
  • I have two full face helmets... (long story), one is a Specialized Deviant Carbon, the other is a Dainese. The Speccy one is great for full face protection but with lots of vents you don't notice it after a while. They don't make the Dainese one now but it's brill and offers really snug all round protection.

I've heard mixed reviews about the MET helmet - I'm not convinced with the way it's designed as any impact will escape at the weakest point (the join between the jaw-protector and the skull bit).

With helmets you always have to try them on. Cycle Surgery in London are now doing POC helmets which look amazing and I can only go by what people are saying about them because I've never managed to get hold of one to put it on because they're like hotcakes! Otherwise THE are good. Giro are good too but a bit on the bulky size, often making people look like cannonballs... ultimately, the more money you can throw at these things the better as after all, you only have one head.
  • i wear a small 661 evo - just try on as many as you can and see which fits best.

ps. dont think you'd need a full face for 7 stanes, black or not. you'll sweat to death,.
    only ever use mine for wharncliffe or the alps.

pss. met parachutes look a waste of time. but each to their own and all that
  • DJIP
    DJIP Posts: 1,724
    Measure your head and then order a few from online if you can't try anything on at shops. CRC and such give refunds so if it's not right, you can send it back.

The thing you'll find about most full faces on us ladies is it makes you look stupid because it will make your head look huge, but it's better than smashing your face up. I also would say don't get a met parachute, waste of money.
    Little Purple Patriot :D
  • Agree with the above, I bought one from CRC recently before my trip with Cwmdown. If you can't find much choice locally, CRC are easy to return stuff to if there's a problem.

I went for a THE One carbon in the end. A great fit and good vision, not too heavy, but it would get warm for XC. There are plenty of colour choices - they are a bit loud, but I think that's a reflection on todays fashion :shock: . I bought the Ink 2... Interesting artwork, but it does the job well!
  • Lucozade1
    Lucozade1 Posts: 171
    foxc_uk wrote:

I looked at the MET Parachute, but apparently they've had rubbish reviews... bit of a pain, because it would be perfect for what I need. So does anyone know of any other helmets that are doing the XC/full-face cross over??

EDIT: Just started reading some reviews for myself, and most people love the MET.
    Looks like I might be buying one after all!
    Casco viper is another cross over helmet like the met.parachute, gets great reviews and is claimed to give better protection than the met .
    Hope this helps

:wink:
    It's all in the glory!!!

2011 Giant Trance X2
    [url=ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa452/Lucozadejim/MyMachine4.jpg]ihttp://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa ... chine4.jpg[/url]
    2008 Rockrider HT
  • Gingie
    Gingie Posts: 98
    I spent ages justifying the need to buy a full face helmet also but in the end i just decided to buy one purely because i wanted one and didn't want to bash my face up.

I ended up going for the specialized deviant - the air holes keep your head more vented than most of the other full face lids i tried on which helps stop your hair becoming a matted, sweaty mess...lol

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/deviant-ii-carbon-team-helmet-ec019797?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle
  • I had a Troy Lee Carbon Crow FF Helmet and was very glad to be wearing it when I lost control after a gap jump at chicksands and decided to save my bike from the approaching tree and use my head as a 'battering ram'!!

It's true, they are sweaty....but it's a worthy trade off against the alternative!!!

:)
    Pain is Temporary, Glory is forever!
  • DXG82
    DXG82 Posts: 35
    I got a Met Parachute as I wanted something that offers protection to the face / teeth. I haven't had a face first fall in it though so can't comment on whether or not it actually works!

I think the Met Parachute is good for people like me who do XC riding and want something which offers slightly more protection than a standard helmet but do not really feel that they need a full face helmet.

However, I think if you do downhill then you really do need a proper full face helmet and I do not think the Met Parachute is any substitute for a proper full face which are a lot more sturdy. So I would not recommend the Parachute to downhillers!

The good points about the Parachute are that the face guard is removeable and also it is well ventilated so your head does not get too sweaty.

However, I paid £90 for my Parachute and you can buy a full face Giro (which is a lot more protective) for around £100.

I think it all depends on personal preference and what kind of riding you do. The ideal (if you have enough cash!) would probably be to have three helmets, ie a standard cycle helmet for tame routes, something like a Met Parachute for slightly more tricky XC routes and a full face for downhill.
  • kathg
    Well finally settled on a The one carbon (small) in a tasteful black with a few swirls on it! Fits really well and feels more substantial than the Specialized deviant which was a bit lighter. Read some reviews which said the spesh was not so well made and had begun to come apart inside for a few reviewers. Not good considering the price!
    Well, I'll be riding in my new purchase on Sunday and hopefully not testing it out!

Thanks for all the advice and opinions. :D