Premium 'failsafe' tyres

simonaspinall
simonaspinall Posts: 645
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

My girlfried is starting a 12 mile round trip commute on the battered roads of west yorkshire next week.

I need to get some high quality tyres which are 'failsafe' or oas close as can be.

23mm 700c's

No limit to budget - I was erring to Vittoria Paves as they have served me well, however I can't find them for cheaper than £70ish quid a pair.

Are the new gator hardshells or schwalbe any good? I just need some quality bike radar recommendations so puncture roadside repairs are kept to a minimum.

Ta muchly
What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    How about goo filled inners as well? I use them for work.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Si C
    Si C Posts: 130
    I used Hutchinson Long Distance last winter. 100+ miles a week pretty much all winter without a single puncture. I also raced some of the Hog Hill winter series on them...again, not a single puncture.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've only had 2 punctures in 8500 miles on regular gatorskins so the hardshell ones should be pretty much impenetrable.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • hardshells did look tempting - expensive but tempting. :wink:
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • These are unbelievable tyres and only £50 / pair if you use the discount voucher on the home page.

http://alturl.com/atuws
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    No limit to budget - I was erring to Vittoria Paves as they have served me well, however I can't find them for cheaper than £70ish quid a pair.

Well, is there a limit to the budget or not?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    get some 25mm :(
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree, 25mm tyres are more comfortable, resistant to pinch flats and roll just as fast. In terms of bomb-proof, look at Schwalbe Marathon - quite heavy though. Recently chucked a pair after 5 years - worn through, no punctures. There's also Specialized Armadillos - horrible ride and poor wet grip. For a bit more speed, I'd go for the Schwalbe Duranos - but you can also pick-up their predeccessor, Stelvios cheaply if you shop around. My only other recommendation are Conti GP4 Seasons - again had a pair for 2 years and no punctures. Apart from that, there are no others I'd recommend based on riding experience and plenty of miles in all sort of conditions . If puncture resistance is a priority, then there's nothing lighter that is up to the task IMO - including Gatorskins, GP4000s, Krylions and Rubinos
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    stelvios grip quite well in 't wet.
  • Went with the wiggle deal - 2 gatorskin tyres + tubes for £45.

Steal!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've used Conti GP Four Seasons on my road bike for a couple of summers - about 6000 miles now - without any punctures and not so much wear. I would go with 25mm if I were you/her.

Another bulletproof option is Schwalbe Marathon Plus - the tourer's classic. I've used them on my touring bike for a long time now and they are pretty much fit and forget. I couldn't tell you how many miles I've got on mine - without punctures - but at least 10,000. I actually bought three sets when I saw them on sale a few years ago, and two of those sets are still hanging in my shed; I don't know when I'll eventually get around to needing them! These tyres too come in 700x25.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Went with the wiggle deal - 2 gatorskin tyres + tubes for £45.

Steal!

Oh dear.
    Tell her to watch out for glass - it rips up gatorskins.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    michelin krylion carbons

continental tyres have too high a wood content
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • father_jack
    derosa wrote:
    Went with the wiggle deal - 2 gatorskin tyres + tubes for £45.

Steal!

Oh dear.
    Tell her to watch out for glass - it rips up gatorskins.

yeah I think I have gatorskin on my tourer, it does seem to have quite a few cuts (no punctures) compared to Panaracer Pasela TG City Tyre
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    krylions or conti 4 seasons
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Another vote for Gatorskins. Folding version is nice and light too.
  • I'm about to stick some four seasons on my commuter so will see how they go.

If the missus keeps up teh commuting I may have to invest in 25mm tyres and go for the marathons as i've not heard a bad word about them yet.

Cheers
  • father_jack
    I'm about to stick some four seasons on my commuter so will see how they go.

If the missus keeps up teh commuting I may have to invest in 25mm tyres and go for the marathons as i've not heard a bad word about them yet.

Cheers

To be evil, adjust the brake blocks so her bike is like one of those friction exercise bikes. heh heh :D