Derby Trails?

Twonk
Twonk Posts: 17
edited August 2010 in Routes
I'm moving to Derby in the not too distant future, so would love some ideas on where I can ride around and get muddy

I'm mainly looking for trails for exercising (maybe some XC later)

I've got no real knowledge of Derby itself (except from playing gigs there), so any directions would be much appreciated!

Cheers all

ps. I don't drive so Peaks are out for the time being

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Ouch, bad choice of City to move to if you can't drive to trails :( as the most you will find are national cycleways which are mostly paved. Sorry bud but you will need to find a friend who can drive if like me you live in the centre of Derby.
  • Twonk
    Damnit:\

Cheers for the info
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    there is some reasonable stuff to the north of the city, breadsall, coxbench, little eaton,
    some made up free ride stuff in drum hill woods, some call it morley woods.
  • Twonk
    Thanks. I'll try and get the directions and details via Google

I'll probably end up running the Route 66 orbital until I get more familiar with the place
  • As others have said, there is not a lot really in the city if you can't drive. The woods through Little Eaton arent too bad, Drum Hill is ok (you can combine a route from Little Eaton and Drum Hill). Allestree woods are ok but short.

Try this though. It starts at the back of Markeaton Park, takes you to the back of belper, milford and loops back to derby. I mapped this well known route out some time back on mapmyride when myself and an old friend used to do it. Its about 23 miles and a good workout.

Hob Hill is a good climb on the road and there is a nice bit of trail then a quick descent on Jacksons lane near milford towards the end of the ride. More XC than anything else. Not the best, but its something to keep you going.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 8012318917
  • Twonk
    Lovely!

Thanks, throughthetrail :)
  • Kiblams
    Typical, no one suggested all of these when I first started riding in Derby :roll: Might have to go riding with the wife sometime in these places.

Any idea where you will be living in Derby Grondel?
  • A pleasure to help. And if you find anything new let us know! :D
  • Kiblams wrote:
    Typical, no one suggested all of these when I first started riding in Derby :roll: Might have to go riding with the wife sometime in these places.

Where do you live now Kiblams? TBH no one really gives too much info anyhow. Either they can't be bothered, or they'll give you a rough approximation (which sometimes suggests they've no real real experience of the route/trail in question). That's no criticism, its just the way it is. Use the internet, try and hook up with people from time to time to learn routes if possible. You just have to get out there and discover. I guess that's the beauty of riding.
  • Kiblams
    I live near to the Rowditch area, and have ridden Markeaton park around some of the grounds behind the golf course.

I have heard that Foremark reservoir in south Derby has some good trails, though to ride there from here would take over an hour, since I can drive. When the Mrs got into MTBing we have just been driving to trail centres as she likes to have facilities/cafes :lol:
  • Robin Wood is good. Its kind of between Foremark and Staunton Res. I usually park at a pub in Repton and cycle to it from there doing a loop. Not been for over a year though but I guess its the same. There is some great singletrack in there. Not loads of stuff but good. I guess you've been to Shining Cliff (which is about 30-40 mins in car from you) That is good for a few hours. Some great stuff there if you like it rocky and rooty. White Peak stuff is on our doorstep too. Baslow, Beeley Moor, back of Curbar etc.
  • Twonk
    Kiblams wrote:
    Pretty close to the Royal Derby Hospital or thereabouts
    Vague, I know!
  • bunyip
    bunyip Posts: 52
    you can always get the train to Bamford or Edale in the Peaks
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Robin Wood is good. Its kind of between Foremark and Staunton Res. I usually park at a pub in Repton and cycle to it from there doing a loop. Not been for over a year though but I guess its the same. There is some great singletrack in there. Not loads of stuff but good. I guess you've been to Shining Cliff (which is about 30-40 mins in car from you) That is good for a few hours. Some great stuff there if you like it rocky and rooty. White Peak stuff is on our doorstep too. Baslow, Beeley Moor, back of Curbar etc.

Didn't realise there was a trail in Shining Cliff woods, where is it?
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Poppit,

Its not an official trail as such. I've PM'd you. Be wary of the ramblers.
  • bamba
    poppit, any chance you could pm the route at shinning cliff, planning an exploration of the area soon, i heard one side is protected or something due to some dope making a ramp from a dry stone wall a few years ago,might look at circh chase too,
    thanks in advance
  • Bamba,

Its a site of special scientific interest. I believe there are some protected ant breeds up there and other forest life that perhaps someone more qualified on here could chirp in with?

Its a lovely place with a bit of history.

I've PM you with what I sent to Poppit though. Hope it helps!
  • bamba
    cheers :D
  • mikezer0
    mikezer0 Posts: 122
    Jacksons Lane is good fun!
  • It certainly is. Especially in the snow!
  • bamba
    might have a peep around shinning cliff tomorro, before my night shif , ha bloody ha :(
  • Bamba,

I've heard about Crich Chase too. What's it like? Worth a trip?

Can anybody on here comment?
  • bamba
    Crich chase , never been, heard about on here some where, nothing like Cannock, think it just a route t'other side Derwent that folk link in with shining cliff,
    Just got back form shining cliff, only a short route out,for a rece more than anything,very tricky to find your way around, some nice descents not to dissimilar to dark peak stuff,felt a bit lost some times esp the heavily wooded dark bits where the trail seams to disappear.
    here's where i went

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout ... ih7idqb8op
  • The dark wooded section at the top of shining cliff has some great bits to descend from. There is a fire road near the top last time I was there with a felled tree that was lying across it (you will see singletrack that splits off) When you descend from the top you will again cross over the same fireroad and this then continues to some great singletrack (afew jumps have been knocked up to the side). Not long but great fun.

As said not an all dayer but good for an hour or so.