Shortest commute?

ishmael
ishmael Posts: 35
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
0.66 miles :o

There's a tough 25 yard section of 8% too. Man, that really burns first thing in the morning ....

Comments

• ishmael
    Apologies if a thread like this has been posted before. I did a search and couldn't be bothered to go through all the pages.

Delete as applicable.
  • makes my old commute of a whole 2 miles seem long!

I now have a 8 mile round trip which is still short by bike radar standards.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I take a .4 mile ride back from the gym to work
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Ohh, you could wheelie all the way 8)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    ishmael wrote:

There's a tough 25 yard section of 8% too. Man, that really burns first thing in the morning ....

God. I would just walk it. I'd probably take more time getting my cycle gear on, unlocking the shed, unlocking the bike perhaps lubing the chain and putting a bit more air in the tyres etc than the time taken to actually commute! I think anything less than about 3 miles and I would just walk or run it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    1.5km. And I still managed to justify a bike specifically for it. :oops:
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    I'd probably take more time getting my cycle gear on

You'd put all your cycling gear on to ride 0.66 miles? :lol:
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • Headhuunter
    BenS999 wrote:

You'd put all your cycling gear on to ride 0.66 miles? :lol:

I never, ever ride anywhere unless I'm all kitted out and done up like a dog's dinner. Wouldn't want to be taken for an amateur now, would I?
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    BenS999 wrote:
    Quote:

You'd put all your cycling gear on to ride 0.66 miles?

I never, ever ride anywhere unless I'm all kitted out and done up like a dog's dinner. Wouldn't want to be taken for an amateur now, would I?

Just had a sudden thought - reckon I might sign up to the Boris bikes, get lycra'd up one lunctime and go for a ride round town. Reckon i would get some decent comments? / possibley abuse! :lol:
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    that's less than what I walk to the station when I have to catch the train (doesn't happen very often)
  • Headhuunter
    BenS999 wrote:
    BenS999 wrote:
    Quote:

You'd put all your cycling gear on to ride 0.66 miles?

Just had a sudden thought - reckon I might sign up to the Boris bikes, get lycra'd up one lunctime and go for a ride round town. Reckon i would get some decent comments? / possibley abuse! :lol:

The woman I sit next to at work sometimes commutes in on a sit up and beg BSO thing with a basket that her boyfriend bought for from some catalogue that came with the Sunday Times or something. She was asking me which helmet she should get, I told her she should buy one of those teardrop shaped things worn in velodromes for ultra aerodynamics. I can just imagine her pootling to work on her BSO with the big teardrop thing on her head.... The image made me giggle. Perhaps you had to be there...
  • ishmael
    Unless it's raining I just get the bike out of the utility, jump on, ride down the road, get off, lock it up and that's it. No bother. I go home at lunchtimes too - maybe for a kip on the sofa.

When I was training earlier in the year I bemoaned the fact that I didn't have a longer commute. Then I had one of those flashes of inspiration that leave you feeling very foolish: just get up earlier, go out for 25-35 mils, get home, have a shower, get back on the bike and ride into work.

I've kept the longer rides going through the summer, but not everyday.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If I'm going to the station it's exactly a mile away. it takes me longer to lock up the hack bike than it does to ride there.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Seriously?

I have a longer journey when I wake up to pee :shock: