The Great Glen

wheeledwidewebb
wheeledwidewebb Posts: 254
edited August 2010 in Tour & expedition
We are considering riding up and down the Great Glen from Fort William to Inverness and back.

I was wondering whether anyone knows if there are suitable (as in not off-road) roads that hug the water or whether we will have to ride along the main A road either side. I have found a cycle route on the Scottish Tourism website but it seems to be all A road and goes a long way from the lakes/lochs.

We really want to try to avoid anything busy and also stay as close to the water as possible.

November is our intended trip window - the weather should be at its very best by then.

Thanks.

Comments

• bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Re- the great glen ,the main road on the north side does hug the water for a great part but also goes partially inland for quite a high percentage of the trip. It is however not the most cycle freindly route due to the fact it's one of the main routes "east-west" in this part of the world therefore a high (relativley) traffic flow of all types from psycho coaches, semi's and tourist traffic most of the year.Not sure about the road on the south shore, its liable to be fairly narrow.(The off road route is "OK" but is OFF road!!)
    Enjoy and bring the the "Avon skin so soft" for the dreaded MIDGE
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    The A82 is not bike friendly and as bearfraser mentions used by coaches, lorries and idiot tourists doing 70+.

It'll be less busy in November, but darker shadows as long stretches are tree lined.

Looking at my 25k maps there's the roads south of Loch Ness that look hilly, but at Fort Augustus you'd have to go on the A82. However, there seems to be a cyclepath to Aberchalder, then this follows General Wades road south of Loch Oich. At laggan lochs you ride north of Loch Lochy (very rideable dirt track unless you're on 23mm tyres because i've been on that section)

Looks very MTB or CX ok, but not sure about road bikes.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I road the great glen way from Glengarry to Spean Bridge last August. We were touring on road bikes with 23/25mm tyres. To be honest, it was not a particularly pleasant experience. On a fat tyred tourer it would be fine but on narrow tyres I would suggest not. My D-in-L was decidedly unhappy riding it.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Yep, fat tourer, thats me.

Seriously though, I will be using Schwalbe Big Apples, so I hope that it might be OK.

Just trying to sort out the transport up there now.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    General Wade's (and other military roads - route approximately followed by metalled road) road the other side of Loch Ness is great. Bit of climbing involved.
    Fort William is bad to hellish.