winter boots

monkeysm8
monkeysm8 Posts: 191
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
Need to have some warmth this winter. Seen the diadora artics and chilis on fleabay. Is the artic worth the extra???? Also size wise i am a 43 in dhb r1s so a 44 should suffice?? I am thnking room for
thicker socks and warm space.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    northwave,Shimano and Sidi also do them. Sidi get v.good reviews if you google them
    M.Rushton
  • monkeysm8
    Unfortunately ££££s come into it :( I cant spend £100+ anymore.
  • mrushton
    As long as the cheaper pairs are good that's ok. But if you spend £90 on boots that let water/cold in and you could have got a good pair for £120 then you've wasted the money.
    M.Rushton
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    monkeysm8 wrote:
    Unfortunately ££££s come into it :( I cant spend £100+ anymore.

so why not spend less than half that amount on a good pair of overshoes instead...?
  • monkeysm8
    Tried overshoes (Shimano pro ones) and thought they were garbage. They didnt last a year so a false economy in my view.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    monkeysm8 wrote:
    Tried overshoes (Shimano pro ones) and thought they were garbage. They didnt last a year so a false economy in my view.

what were you doing - hiking in them..? I've had a pair of BBB neoprene overshoes for the last two winters, and although they are now a bit tatty, I reckon they will probably do for the coming winter as well..
  • monkeysm8
    Lol no hiking. Commuting 30 miles a day in them. I do have to do some walking in them from the bike shed to work. They died from wear and tear.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You should be able to find some Northwaves for £100. Sidi Diablos are lovely - luckily I bought mine last year for £125 - they're nearer £190 now. Gaerne make nice winter boots too - sizing comes up small tho.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mrushton
    Those Diablos get a good rating but they are expensive. The PRO brand o/shoes are nice. My partner got a pair last year and the quality is excellent but you just have to take care putting them on and making sure you aren't walking on the material. Prendas prob. do some cheaper ones that do an OK job
    M.Rushton
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    monkeysm8 wrote:
    Need to have some warmth this winter. Seen the diadora artics and chilis on fleabay. Is the artic worth the extra???? Also size wise i am a 43 in dhb r1s so a 44 should suffice?? I am thnking room for
    thicker socks and warm space.
    There's no need to go to great expense for winter boots for heaven's sake, my £50 Diadora Chili Road boots are brilliant for cold winter weather. And rain. And snow.

You are absolutely right about creating 'warm air space'. do this by going for one size larger than you normally have, and choosing decent socks such as Woolie Boolies. Job done.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    monkeysm8 wrote:

A word of warning then - if you want your feet to stay dry for any reasonable length of time with winter boots you'll need overshoes as well. Or at least you will with the Northwave Celsius/Farenheit. I have the Celsius and while they do indeed keep my feet warmer than normal shoes + overshoes they're so poorly sealed at the top that it only takes a few minutes cycling on properly wet roads before the water starts running in. So you'll need either overshoes or some improvised rubber seal around the top of them.
    More problems but still living....