How to restrict a front derailleur

love2ride
love2ride Posts: 224
edited August 2010 in Amateur race
Hi guys
My brother wants to get into racing but I need to restrict his gears. But I don't know how to restrict the front derailleur from using the big ring. Does anyone no how to?
Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    One of the limit screws on it will be marked H. Screw it in until you can't shift to the big ring any more.
  • Why do you need to restrict his gears? Remember it can a pain to put right afterwards...

Otherwise, as above.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Are you sure you can't meet the gear restriction by using the limit screws on the rear mech - effectively just blocking off a few of the smallest sprockets on the cassette ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yes, that's the way I understood gearing was normally restricted - adjust the rear mech limit screw so you can't access the smallest cogs (the shifter will still click to them but the mech can't move that far to the right).

If it's to be permanent (i.e. race-only bike), you can buy cassettes which start at 14 or 15 teeth, which give you all 10 or 9 or whatever ratios, with smaller gaps between them.