Cervèlo and Garmin to merge?

2»

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Garmin sell alot of their bikes off anyway, check the team webite. Not sure if this is to fund their doping programme though :D

They have a Wiggo Union Jack TT frame they did for sale but has he left for Sky never been used or riden
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    sherer wrote:
    Garmin sell alot of their bikes off anyway, check the team webite. Not sure if this is to fund their doping programme though :D

They have a Wiggo Union Jack TT frame they did for sale but has he left for Sky never been used or riden

I looked on their website at the bikes and frames thay are selling.

Bloody expensive! Cheaper at Merlin Cycles and unused :wink:
  • sherer wrote:

It's not the one he tossed at the Worlds then?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    William H wrote:
    sherer wrote:

It's not the one he tossed at the Worlds then?

thought it was unused. At the World does he ride a team GB bike like the track stars or does he just ride his team issue bike like a lot of the pros do ?
  • http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -team.html

More or less official; Garmin-Cervèlo !

All riders who have contracts for next year are safe with the new team, and the Cervèlo womens team will continue.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    From Twitter;
    euanlindsay Just realised the best thing about Garmin-Cervelo, the end of Garmin-Transitions. No more stinking Tyler Farrar adverts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    about 2 hours ago
    Retweeted by festinagirl

:lol::lol:
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    From Twitter;
    euanlindsay Just realised the best thing about Garmin-Cervelo, the end of Garmin-Transitions. No more stinking Tyler Farrar adverts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    about 2 hours ago
    Retweeted by festinagirl

:lol::lol:

The same thought had just occurred to me. My wife will also be thrilled
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,478
    Won't Transition still be involved at all? They may just be a smaller sponsor but I'm another hoping it's the last we've seen of those ads! Glad the women's team is continuing.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    surely transitions lense advert man will not want to share with Haussler AND Hushovd!
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    I can't wait for the Beyond The Peloton episode covering all of this...
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The awesome Inner Ring chap has posted on twitter that Cervelo's problems might be ethical, rather than financial....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    iainf72 wrote:
    The awesome Inner Ring chap has posted on twitter that Cervelo's problems might be ethical, rather than financial....

If that is the case (and maybe it is), wouldn't it be easier just to sack those responsible rather than disband the whole team?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:

If that is the case (and maybe it is), wouldn't it be easier just to sack those responsible rather than disband the whole team?

Perhaps. But then, I did laugh til some wee came out when I saw some of GV's moralising on Twitter.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    iainf72 wrote:
    Perhaps. But then, I did laugh til some wee came out when I saw some of GV's moralising on Twitter.
    I hope you had the presence of mind to catch some in a container for testing?

Seriously though - are we not jumping to conclusions a bit here? The word 'ethical' does not necessarily infer doping.... Or am I being naive?
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    pomtarr wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Seriously though - are we not jumping to conclusions a bit here? The word 'ethical' does not necessarily infer doping.... Or am I being naive?

We are jumping to conclusions but this is pro cycling we're talking about....
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    iainf72 wrote:

oooh!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Oh dear. I rather liked Cervelo.

Why Garmin? They're magnificent, but why are Garmin chosen/riding to the rescue?
  • http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5405/ ... eason.aspx

"The rumors hit yesterday that the Cervelo Test Team would fold at the end of the season, and then today, team director sportif, Jean Paul Van Poppel, confirmed the rumors. As the day draws to a close in Europe, the Cervelo Test Team announced officially that the two year project would come to an end."
  • RichN95.
    Cervelo statement
    Cervelo confirmed today that it would not continue as a cycling team title sponsor after the end of the 2010 season.
    Certain subtle changes in the rules that govern pro cycling, have established a trend towards bigger budgets to ensure participation in all the big races, and this is not something with which we are comfortable.
    We were okay with the significant commitment we originally made to the team, but to increase it is not prudent.
    To create the best opportunities for riders, staff, sponsors and other stakeholders, a bigger team environment is needed.
    At the same time, the very positive response to a focus on "more than just racing" has been great.
    We look forward to continued involvement in pro cycling at the highest level with an emphasis on product R&D (research and development), as we have since 2003.
    To that end, we will announce the details soon.
  • iainf72
  • Big budget teams eh? Not the first time they have had an adverse effect of the rest of the sport, this season.

I don't think Cervelo's reaction to the UCI's new, "pay at the gate" scheme, is quite what Pat had in mind, with his latest "rush job".
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I always wondered how the hell they managed to fund a team in the first place. i mean i know the bikes are expensive but man, u'd have to sell a lot to fund a team surely...

Also, does this now not mean that the team has a mahoosive squad? Are a lot of Garmin's lesser riders now gonna get bumped?

I'm excited about the team though, Garmin must be well pleased with the new additions, they are gonna be a very strong team, and hopefully they can put all their strength behind Ryder for the tour next year?

A
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Garmin get a ready made Classics squad.

Nice to see that both Garmin-Cervelo and Geox will be running women's teams next season - going to be great for women's racing
  • RichN95.
    It's not all good news though:

"Transitions Optical is expecting to continue its sponsorship, pending final agreement, evolving into the Official Lens Supplier."

And we all know what that means....
  • RichN95 wrote:
    It's not all good news though:

"Transitions Optical is expecting to continue its sponsorship, pending final agreement, evolving into the Official Lens Supplier."

And we all know what that means....

Well hopefully (for us girls) Transitions will learn from Sidi and start having naked riders in the adverts..naked Haussler wearing only glasses? Yes please!
  • RichN95.
    Well hopefully (for us girls) Transitions will learn from Sidi and start having naked riders in the adverts..naked Haussler wearing only glasses? Yes please!

I almost posted that it could get even worse and they could switch to Haussler.

"Guten Tag, sorry, I mean, G'Day, definitely G'Day. I'm Heinrich Haussler, sprinter for Garmin-Cervelo Transitions..."
  • Interesting comments from Dominique Rollin basically saying: "They had money for 4 years but didn't like the results of the team this year so looked for a softer option of merging and lowering their budget." This sounds plausible.

I bet whoever's job at Sky it is to sponsor sports teams is thinking the same thing - so much money, so little result. Brailsfork must have hoodwinked them into thinking that cycling is like football - he with the highest budget wins.

Cervelo must have had everyone on 2 year contracts that were up at the end of 2010 - that or in order to not pay early termination money (if these clauses even exist in cycling) those are they guys the "brought" over to Garmin in the deal.

Does anyone know who on Cervelo had a contract for next year if the team persisted as CTT?
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.