Wireless cycle computers

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
edited August 2010 in Road beginners
Any suggestions would be appreciated. You can read all the glossy mags and be lured into all sorts, but what have you used that really works. I am looking for something with a HRM and probably cadence. Thanks for any comments

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Here's my twopence worth...If you have the budget the Garmin 500 would be the bells & whistles option. You are able to plot your rides through GPS and you get the option of using their on-line training log.

http://connect.garmin.com/features/training
  • datpat64
    datpat64 Posts: 85
    Garmin 500 would be my choice as well. I'm just going to GPS from a standard cycle computer as there are simply too many problems with drop outs or non connects or even regular flat batteries

I know the routes I rder fairly well so don't need directional Sat nav and because this can be usd on two bikes (even more if required) if fits my bill pretty well
  • Teach
    As wiht all things do I need it? My brother in law has one and I'm very impressed although my £9.99 computer gives me max speed during my ride and the garmin doesn't. ( I might have gloated a bit) :D Anyway do I need cadence sensor etc. I've never had it so I wont miss it, will it make you a better cyclist? Or does it just provide a load of extra if interesting data?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I agree, that can seem like the $64000 question. It works for me though. Like many others here I have limited time to devote to riding let alone training so I want to get the most out of it I possibly can. Before getting decent data things were very hit and miss; with interval training in particular. I found it far too easy to end up riding tempo during recovery periods, which meant that I couldn't hold on to a decent pace for the workout phases. To put it another way I went too hard on the easy bits, which meant I couldn't go hard enough on the hard bits.

Real downside to this (if I'm honest) is that the next holy grail is just around the corner (Powertap wheel).

As Frank Zappa once said...the torture never stops, though he might have been referring to something else at the time :lol:

Good luck anyway!
  • mcoj
    mcoj Posts: 8
    Wow some good advice here - I was initially after some relatively cheap cadence sensor but after reading up on the recommended Garmin, I've realised that I really do need a training aid etc.

After having a look for prices, Is the fitting kit always an additional cost, or is it included in some kits? Also, which kit is the best VFM?

Thanks in advance
  • irturner
    irturner Posts: 41
    Handtec sell the all in garmin 500 bundle for £180 though not sure about their returns policy.
    Amazon for £190
  • mcoj
    mcoj Posts: 8
    Cheers :D
  • Teach
    RonB wrote:
    I agree, that can seem like the $64000 question. It works for me though. Like many others here I have limited time to devote to riding let alone training so I want to get the most out of it I possibly can. Before getting decent data things were very hit and miss; with interval training in particular. I found it far too easy to end up riding tempo during recovery periods, which meant that I couldn't hold on to a decent pace for the workout phases. To put it another way I went too hard on the easy bits, which meant I couldn't go hard enough on the hard bits.

Real downside to this (if I'm honest) is that the next holy grail is just around the corner (Powertap wheel)[/size].Mmmmm nice

As Frank Zappa once said...the torture never stops, though he might have been referring to something else at the time :lol:

Good luck anyway!
  • Appreciate this may be a bit late now but if you haven't taken the plunge yet
    Google the item and then ask Evans to price match the cheapest.
    I did and paid £159.87 about a month ago for a blue and white one.
    Great bit of kit!
    I disapprove of what you say but will defend....your right to say it. Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire08 Cotic Soda-deceased!10 Bianchi 928 c2c23 Marin Nicasio2
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I bought a Garmin 705 after getting fed up with my Polar device dropping out too often. The Garmin also connects to the Garmin Connect site allowing you to set training programs etc. It is more expensive than the 500 but the 500 does a couple of things with Connect that the 705 doesn't. The 705 does offer mapping, which is handy for longer rides and doubles up as a GPS plotter when out hill walking with the right map.

I wouldn't go back to a Polar device and as the Garmin offers the ability to attach it to more than one bike it's easy to change it between the winter bike and the summer one when it arrives.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.