Avid Elixir 4

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited December 2012 in MTB general
The brakes that came on the 2010 pitch pro are Avid Elixir 4, i know these were custom specced by specialized but how do they actually differ from say elixir 5s? Is it something simple like the fluid or pad type?

I can't find anything online so i'm hoping someone here can shed light on this for me :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    more of based on the 3.

but could be a 5 lever assy with 3 inners. like the 3.5 but with added adjuster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • smegurmum
    smegurmum Posts: 181
    the Elixer 4's have the elixer 5 levers and a juicy 3 caliper
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • bennett_346
    Im not sure of the name of the part, but the part where the lever is attached to looks identical to the elixir 5 and different to the 3. Are they likely to have the same power as more expensive elixirs but without the ajustability features like tool-less reach and hose angle ajust?
  • nicklouse
    no the same.

the 3,5 has the twin bolt lever assy of the 5 with the 3 internals.

All the juciy brakes have the same power but differing weights and adjustments.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bennett_346
    Thanks for all the info, now just wondering how they compare to other hydraulic brakes such as the formula RX.
  • nicklouse
    i rate Formula over Avids.
  • bennett_346
    nicklouse wrote:
    i rate Formula over Avids.
    Just thats probably the only thing id upgrade on my bike, unless other components wear and i decide to get better ones. Might give formulas a try if i ever take the bike to more extreme locations.
  • Go hope or nothing IMO! (or at least that's what I'll do when I upgrade my elixir 4's :D)
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    nicklouse wrote:
    no the same.

I'm confused there, when you say juicy, do you mean elixir?
  • bennett_346
    peter413 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    no the same.

Yeah same lol
  • nicklouse
    peter413 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    no the same.

so i was
    Elixir 4 (not pictured) includes Elixir 5 lever assembly and Juicy 3 caliper assembly.
  • bennett_346
    nicklouse wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    no the same.

so i was
    Elixir 4 (not pictured) includes Elixir 5 lever assembly and Juicy 3 caliper assembly.
    So i assume it takes juicy pads?
  • Yes
  • bennett_346
    Yes
    Thanks
  • I'm looking to buy a new hardtail MTB. I've had my Specialized Rockhopper for so long now that it's practically a museum piece, but it's served me well over the years. I'm an enthusiastic amateur, and it's all about FUN rather than competing ( in other words, I have no real skills and precious little technique ). I've been looking at the Boardman Mountain Bike Pro and the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Pro. Which one is the better bike ? I get the impression that some of the components on the Boardman are higher spec, plus the bike seems to be a bit cheaper. Is it better value for money ? I'm not particularly keen on buying anything from Halfords, but maybe I could get it built up and serviced by EBC. In comparing the specs, I note that all the literature states that the Rockhopper SL Pro includes Avid Elixir brakes. However, there seems to be a bit of dubiety about this if the Avid Elixir 4s are customised by Specialized themselves to include Elixir 5 levers but Juicy 3 calipers and pads. Are we being misled and ripped off here ? Should the matter be reported to Trading Standards ?
  • bennett_346
    I'm looking to buy a new hardtail MTB. I've had my Specialized Rockhopper for so long now that it's practically a museum piece, but it's served me well over the years. I'm an enthusiastic amateur, and it's all about FUN rather than competing ( in other words, I have no real skills and precious little technique ). I've been looking at the Boardman Mountain Bike Pro and the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper SL Pro. Which one is the better bike ? I get the impression that some of the components on the Boardman are higher spec, plus the bike seems to be a bit cheaper. Is it better value for money ? I'm not particularly keen on buying anything from Halfords, but maybe I could get it built up and serviced by EBC. In comparing the specs, I note that all the literature states that the Rockhopper SL Pro includes Avid Elixir brakes. However, there seems to be a bit of dubiety about this if the Avid Elixir 4s are customised by Specialized themselves to include Elixir 5 levers but Juicy 3 calipers and pads. Are we being misled and ripped off here ? Should the matter be reported to Trading Standards ?
    I wish i knew about the calipers being juicy before i bought it, im not sure what difference it makes but you're right, its nice to be in the know. As for trading standards, its sold as Avid Elixir 4, which is exactly what it is, they'll probably tell you you should of researched them before buying, you get what they told you etc etc. Still misleading though.
  • nicklouse
    However, there seems to be a bit of dubiety about this if the Avid Elixir 4s are customised by Specialized themselves to include Elixir 5 levers but Juicy 3 calipers and pads. Are we being misled and ripped off here ? Should the matter be reported to Trading Standards ?

nothing misleading there at all.

the Elixir 4 is just that. a mix. it is not available as an aftermarket brake.

the Elixer 4 spec is an Elixir 5 lever assy and a juciy caliper. you get just what it says it is.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I have the 08 Pitch that came with Juicy 3SLs, the brakes are fine, so you've nothing to worry about with a Juicy 3 caliper...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Thanks for the advice, guys. I've ordered a 2010 Rockhopper SL Pro because it's on sale now. The 2011 version comes out next month but the price is going up to £1250, and that's just a wee bit too much for me. Hopefully, the Elixir 4 brake combination will do the job !
  • they have never let me down on my fsr xc pro
  • hi guys, i have been using elixir 4's for about 18 months now on my spesh xc expert and they have performed very well. they are indeed the elixir 5 lever and the juicy 3 caliper............ :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have you been in a coma for the last two years?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    hi guys, i have been using elixir 4's for about 18 months now on my spesh xc expert and they have performed very well. they are indeed the elixir 5 lever and the juicy 3 caliper............ :D
    Thanks. But i bought that bike nearly 3 years ago and it was sold 14 months ago :wink: