Should I cycle in the winter?

2»

Comments

• solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I agree with Headhunter, I used to cycle into Heathrow each day, now I cycle in the Lake District every day both have their challenges but the unknown of what other road users are doing in an urban environment and the dirt makes the cycling in cold through the snow a pleasure by comparison.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    The plus of riding in London in the winter is that it's a fair bit warmer than most places and ice/snow seldom forms/sticks on the bigger roads. That said, I did come off on some slush last year as I overconfidently rode my fixie home after it had been snowing heavily all day.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    biondino wrote:
    The plus of riding in London in the winter is that it's a fair bit warmer than most places and ice/snow seldom forms/sticks on the bigger roads. That said, I did come off on some slush last year as I overconfidently rode my fixie home after it had been snowing heavily all day.

I think most major London roads are very well salted and the constant flow of traffic stops snow from settling and the traffic sprays the salt all over the road which helps keep it from freezing. I cycled right through winter in the snow, people told me I was mad but the main roads were just wet and salty - no ice, no snow and no slush that I saw...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.