what do you think of this idea

Jimmyjay
Jimmyjay Posts: 3
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi, we are currently investigating the possibility of starting up a B&B/hostel geared specifically towards road cyclists. People bring their own bikes and the rest will be up to us!
Accommodation will be comfortable and functional. We will offer private en-suite bedrooms catering individuals, pairs, small groups/families. There will be communal living space with sofas and TV, basic kitchen facilities, and a big dining table. Meals will be opt in/out; we’ll provide food specifically tailored toward the cyclist if required. Prices will be competitive and reasonable.
As well as secure bike storage, we’ll have basic mechanical support, basic spares, gels, bars and drinks on offer. There will be Garmin sat navs for hire with pre-programmed routes for all level of roadie (bespoke routes programmed as and when people want them), as well as paper maps and ride info. We’ll drop off at start points if required, and offer pickups in case of problems. Guided rides will also be available. Local information will be cycling specific and wide ranging.
All this will be based in a stunning part of the UK with beautiful scenery and 100s of miles of superb riding. There are gentle hills right through to absolute killer climbs, and everything in between!
The reason for posting is to gather thoughts and opinions. Does it sound like something you’d be interested in? What do you want when you’re away with your bike? We want to provide a genuine and excellent experience, so please give us your honest opinions; they will be very much appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    I like the sound of it. Where in the UK would it be?

I enjoy touring and use hostels or B&Bs but would also like to take my road bike by car to somewhere with plenty of routes to choose from rather than carry my luggage around on my tourer from place to place.

Do you have any idea how much you'd charge per night?
  • Hi, we're undecided on location but it would be the Lakes, the Peaks, Yorkshire or North Wales. In terms of cost, I think we'd probably be looking to do it at around the £30 a night mark for B&B.

If anyone would be interested and wants to be kept informed if we do open up drop me a mail at hawjames@live.co.uk - we'll keep people's details and let you know!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I guess it might appeal to some folk, but for myself and most folk I know we don't need that much looking after! If your B&B cost the same as those in the area though I guess I'd consider using it (I'm guessing all the extras are at extra cost so it'd be £30 just for B&B?).
    More problems but still living....
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    sounds like a great plan to me - but im no roadie. if you ever offer the same services to MTB'ers i would look you up. Especially like the idea of pre-programmed routes to ride on the for hire Garmin's, not sure how much roadies will use this but mtb'ers certainly would.

good luck! :)
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • Hi
    The Garmins are a good idea. Already 1 poster has ruled you out as you say for "roadies". Be careful how you market! Quite sure you could accommodate MTB with no "extra" work.
    £30 per night is reasonable and i think would catch people touring (dont forget them either in your marketing) who want respite from the elements etc for a night. If you have land why not allow tents to be pitched for small fee with use of communal area.
    The ensuite is just about an absolute now. I also choose where to stay by pics of the rooms which should look comfortable warm and inviting.Hope this helps
    Peter

Peter
  • Great plan.
    Regarding location, I would suggest the North Wales option - firstly you can be handy for Coed-y-Brenin or similar (Llandegla?) for the MTB crew, secondly ther is the lon las cymru for tourists - I imagine that Cyclist friendly B&B would do great on or near the route, thirdly the great hills for the roadies (Horseshoe pass and others are very handy near Llandegla). Of course there are similar options for the other areas you mention - north lakes for C2C with delivery options to the trails in Grizedale as just one option. Have a look at the cycle cafe near greystoke for ideas of what can be supplied btw.
    Being an attractive venue for tourists, roadies and MTBers would obviously broaden your appeal.
    I do think that the Garmin hire idea is excellent - as a non-garmin user and something of a technophobe, it would be of great interest to myself just to try the things out!
    Good luck and keep the forum posted.
    If I can feel the pain in my arse, I mustn't be hurting my legs enough.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    What about some clothes drying facilities - tumble dryers etc. for use when the weather is inclement? Youth hostels usually provide them. Just an idea.
  • I've been on the road for two years and when I stay at a hostel / B&B it's gotta have wi-fi. Washers and driers are a good idea and I wouldn't just advertise for cyclists, you're losing out on a lot of passing trade that way. I am thinking of doing something similar in Ireland when I finish my trip. Good luck.
    Aidan. www.acousticmotorbike.com
  • Nack
    Nack Posts: 61
    Great idea! Im a roadie, and you've sold it to me :D !

Very jealous of the idea as it's something I am thinking of doing myself at some point - somewhere in the French Alps or Vercors in fact.

The pre-programmed Garmin are a great idea, I'd be slightly wary of the initial costs but again they might work quite well - as as been said before, there's the novelty factor! How about having a basic workshop so that guests can sort out their own bikes? Have you thought of renting bikes? Agree with what's been said already in terms of marketing, you want to make sure that non-cyclists stay at your hostel as well.

Keep us up to date, I've never been to North Wales so that could be worth a trip!
  • Sounds like a good proposition to me, and similiar to the Bike Centre I stayed at at Fremington, near Reeth, North Yorkshire in June. It was well located, there was secure storage, spares and servicing if required, plus a good breakfast as well as cakes and soft drinks available at other times.