Spectating at the Tour of Britain

Peter_K
Peter_K Posts: 193
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Thinking about going to the final stage in London of the Tour of Britain. My question is how long before the start time of 2pm would you need to be in position to get a good view of the race. I have never been to watch a circuit race before and as it is held in London does this mean that it will be packed with spectators.

Thanks to all who reply

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    This stage isn't in the centre of London, so may be less busy. Last year I went to the turn by Westminster bridge (by St Thomas') and got right up the barrier right as the riders came back up again. Then at the end once they had gone past I headed down to the end where it was about 12 deep with all vantage points taken (and the boring police wouldn't let me stand on a pillar) - but there was a tv screen there and we kind of got some of the excitement.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    This year it is in Silvertown opposite London City Airport and down by the Excel centre.

Long drags down dual carriage way.

Looks like the Excel centre could be a good vantage point.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    I went for the last 2 years and managed to get a decent spot on the barriers close to the start finish line. Last year was busier than the previous year and I expect it will be busier still this year. Although now that its no longer in central London the crowds may be less (I went to watch the Halfords tour in Canary Wharf ealier this year and it was quite empty) but I would have thought if you get there at least an hour before the start you should be fine. They all start warming up before hans so there is plenty to see.

See you there :D