Back door bicycle licensing

mroli
mroli Posts: 3,622
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
As I was sat patiently at a set of red lights, watching another boris bike go merrily sailing past me and straight into oncoming traffic - I had a little thought.

All these boris bikes have numbers on them right. And to use them you have to have a key that says who you are and they know when you took the bike and where from.

So what would they do if it was proved that a boris bike caused an accident say - they could trace you from the number. Could they do you for jumping red lights etc etc - track you, fine you, possibly even ban you?

Just a thought I had.....

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I thought this was going to be some kind of euphemism :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Road traffic law is complex, of course there is traceability from the number, and if an accident was caused by a BB, then I'm sure they would track down the user.

For most other offences though, the perpetrator has to be warned at the time of the offence or within 14 days via a notice to the 'registered keeper' (as per details on car/MC reg doc), as a bike has no registered keeper that cannot happen, so unless a cyclist is stopped at the time, being able to track them down subsequantly would be of no help within the current legal framework, for things like RLJ for example, thsi does not apply where an accident occurs.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Ah, interesting Simon, thanks.

What if they traced the registered keeper through one of the securitag schemes? Or is that not within the definition of "registered keeper"?