SCUM Threw a bottle at me yesterday

Comments

• grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    -spider- wrote:

Changing sport, once canoeing from Stonebyres to Haczelbank on the upper clyde (near Lanark) I was shot at with an airgun. I didn't hang around to discuss the event!

That jogged my memory of being shot at by some burks with an air rifle. Riding along a newly opened bypass beside allotments a group of morons appeared and crossed the road a few hundred yards in front of me.
    As I passed the spot where they crossed I heard the swish of a pellet just behind my head. I stopped and saw the idiots run of, unfortunately it was before mobile phones (yes there was a time), so couldn't phone police and I was a good few miles from home.
    I just don't understand what goes through these peoples head. Obviously brain the size of a pea.
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I was cycling in Edinburgh at about 6am when some chavs in a car threw a full coke can at me from a speeding car. It struck me in the back of the head (no helmet!) and hurt like a bitch. I guess I'm lucky I didn't fall off.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    In the winter I had a snowball graze my cheek from soe chavs waiting at a bus stop, loads of traffic too, if it had caught me properly and I'd gone down I would have been a gonner. I was properly pissed off, but too cold to have it out with them :oops:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    I once was cycling to my girlfriend's house around 8pm (bad idea) which required going past quite a bad part of Belfast. Some spide/chav staggered right across my path ahead and was shouting at me . When I got about 10metres away he made a run for me, so when near I hammered the contents of my bottle at the grouind in front of him :twisted: .
    Without haste, I commenced some sprinting practice only to see a big bottle of blue, yes blue WKD smash right beside me.
    Thank goodness for that.
  • Teach
    Teach Posts: 386
    What a shame. I've just returned from France. Motorists sound their horn if you are 2 abreast not out of hatred, but to let you know they are they. You go single file, they pass you safely. How refreshing.
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    Not had anything thrown at me yet, not even abuse. However, I did run over and kill a chicken last year. It was 'orrible....feathers everywhere but me and the bike were okay.

Why did the chicken cross the road? It didnt, it got nailed by Ginjafro. :lol:
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • 37monkey
    37monkey Posts: 141
    matthew h wrote:
    had my first experience of this on Sat when a banana was thrown at me, thankfully it missed

I had a banana thrown at me once. Don't ask me how but I caught it and with a nod and wink thanked the tw@ who threw it.

that's technically a feed stop so I don't know if it qualifies to be in this thread? :lol:
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    The worst I've had was about a month ago in Bristol where a group of teenagers at a bus stop threw broken bits of brick at me across a dual carriageway, a few bits bounced off the wheels, one hit me in the right leg on the calf causing a graze and bruising and one piece hit the forks, there was a car right behind me so Im glad I stayed upright. I saw red mist and sprinted for the roudabout to turn round and confront them I was so angry, luckily I saw sense as I approached the roundabout as one girl veruses atleast 8 male chavs and 2 female chavs would have ended badly.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Not far away from the OP, I was on my racer when a group of 4 in a grey Toyota Yaris started to give me gip on the Seaburn Sea front near Roker last Sunday afternoon. I got so angry I forgot to get the reg number :cry: I really do need a Helmet cam.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I've had everything thrown at me over the years whether cycling or running. I am not only prepared for a large proprtion of drivers or dog walkers being morons, but if they try to run me down, assault or kill me then I will do everything reasonable and necessary to protect myself. I've tried reasoning and humouring these knuckle draggers but it doesn't work. It is literally survival out there. These morons don't kow how to behave and the authorities do nothing. A sad reflection of how broken Britain has become.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Dudes rise above it. You are all so much better than the mindless un-lycra'd dross.

That's no way to talk about the CTC members :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    I've had bricks, spit, bottles, eggs and verbal abuse thrown at me... I've also had moronic drivers literally try to run me off the road. I tend to ignore the eggs and spit because that can be washed off (and there is usually a group of them to deal with) but if I'm ever knocked off my bike by one of these chavvy tw@ts - and physically able - I'll efffing kill them...

There is, unfortunately too much sh1t on our roads these days - and I'm not referring to the crap left behind by irresponsible dog owners and scum who think it's okay to leave left over Mc Donalds etc everywhere!
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    And a nice one - a bloke in a van yelled out the window at me yesterday as I rode home. I caught up with him at the next lights and said "hi mate, sorry, didn't quite catch what you said" and he said "I said nice bike - you ride it very fast!"....
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    ^^^ ha ha good one .. I got shouted at by a car full of young girls the other day as I was heading into Windsor - they still sounded posh as they shouted ' nice arse ' at me ...
    seeing as I'm 45 that put a big smile on my face :D and was a most welcome change from usual chav type abusers...
  • bam49 wrote:
    ^^^ ha ha good one .. I got shouted at by a car full of young girls the other day as I was heading into Windsor - they still sounded posh as they shouted ' nice ars* ' at me ...
    seeing as I'm 45 that put a big smile on my face :D and was a most welcome change from usual chav type abusers...
    ooh yes damn right friend 8) i always get looks :wink:
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Last week I was honking up a hill and some bloke in a white van pinged an elastic band at my arse. Can anyone beat this for sheer campness?
  • Not far away from the OP, I was on my racer when a group of 4 in a grey Toyota Yaris started to give me gip on the Seaburn Sea front near Roker last Sunday afternoon. I got so angry I forgot to get the reg number :cry: I really do need a Helmet cam.

Maybe it's a Mackem thing? I've had grief from a car full of chavs riding from Seaburn to Boldon. (near the dog track)

Typical cowardly behaviour of a pack-rat - hard as nails when there's a few of them but won't say boo to a goose when they're on their own. Best not to rise to them IMO. :(
    I had my sig deleted and all I got was this snide replacement. Not happy. :(
  • bam49 wrote:
    ^^^ ha ha good one .. I got shouted at by a car full of young girls the other day as I was heading into Windsor - they still sounded posh as they shouted ' nice ars* ' at me ...

I was out riding along the celtic trail on my MTB a couple of years ago, and came across a group of young-ish women embarking on a saturday night out, obligatory cans of 'bow in their hands, when one of them announced loudly as I rode past slowly (up a steep hill section) "looks at the bollocks on that" much to the cheering and clapping of her mates.

I've often wondered what might have happened if I'd stopped... :D
  • neilmacd
    neilmacd Posts: 128
    Been shot at with a pellet gun by some little pr1cks in Renton when I was heading up to Balloch doing a charity bike ride with my 8 year old son.
    Been hit with a football a couple of times and nearly came down as a result.
    Got soaked once on the way home as well as the local bampot kids were filling their ginger bottles with water from the fire hydrant they had cracked open which they kindly decided to empty all over me when I was going uphill.
    It was a hot day so after the mouthful of expletives I gave them for being little sh1ts I was quite glad of it.

Worst one was when a car full of junkies pulled out at nearly took my front wheel off on a roundabout - gave them the finger and a wee yell of some sweary words and carried on my merry way only to see them reverse back round the roundabout and come after me.
    I'd have beaten Cav with the sprint I put in to get away from them - never bricked it so much in my life.

Re the Op's comments thought there truly are some utter scum about these days - I blame the parents.
    Scott CR1 Team
    Bitsa training bike. Bitsa this Bitsa that.......
    I'd rather quit than buy from Halfords
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Helmet cameras are excellent for this, and fun....

Had a couple of local builders of a large company shouting abuse as they passed (close)

Five minutes later they are in traffic, so I am alongside.

Point out camera and that I will be sending video to their head office....... watch faces drop and they become somewhat more sheepish after that.

Still get glares as they pass, but as they have been formally cautioned over their behaviour by the company, and dare not say a thing
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I've had a can thrown from a saab hit me and been forced off the road by vectra whilst watched by a police speed trap. (the police were worse than ineffective) But the strangest thing happened on Friday, get this

a BMW driver pulled out on me and at the traffic lights I catch him up and draw level with him, with the intention of just leaving it (learnt that although it would be nice to teach them it only becomes an arguement and the only winner is going to be a person in the steel box with four wheels) and he winds the window down and apologises for his driving!

I say thanks and we both enjoy the day, hopefully he is more careful next time :D
    Its not what they drive its the person I guess

oh btw glad the op was not hurt
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    I can't help thinking this is a Northern thing.
    I'm here on the Sussex coast and other than the odd toot I/we get nothing.

The nearest we get is when our less polite rider 'starts something', at which point we do have to remind him, he doesn't actually own the road.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Maybe it's a Mackem thing? I've had grief from a car full of chavs riding from Seaburn to Boldon. (near the dog track)

Yeah, definitely a 'mackem' thing, they have been known to travel all corners of the U.K. just to hurl abuse and objects at cyclists. :roll:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Just been out for a late night ride and some complete tw*t passed as close as he could to me deliberately. Didn't think much of it but he did a U turn and drove onto my side of the road and aimed his car at me, turned out the way at the last second.

This kind of tw*t really does not deserve to live. I half wish I'd turned around and given chase.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Just been out for a late night ride and some complete tw*t passed as close as he could to me deliberately. Didn't think much of it but he did a U turn and drove onto my side of the road and aimed his car at me, turned out the way at the last second.

This kind of tw*t really does not deserve to live. I half wish I'd turned around and given chase.

That is fucked up.
  • EX DH
    EX DH Posts: 194
    Bit differant but some woods i used to ride DH in once had some welding wire strung across the track at head height, i found it when pushing up the track at it caught me across the bridge of my nose giving me two black eyes, glad it happened while pushing up and not riding down! would have taken my head off!
    There were always kids shoooting at you on some of the dragon DH races in Wales too!
  • petemadoc
    Valy wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:

That is farked up.

Tell me about it. The thought of some little pr*ck causing you serious injury or worse when you've got a family and a biz to look after just so he can get some weird kick.
  • Jordan93
    Jordan93 Posts: 336
    Had my first abuse since being a roadie for 4ish months! I pulled into the middle of the road ready to turn right, signalled and on my way I went! As I began climbing this hill I heard a bloke shouting something followed by 'Tw@t' wanted to give chase but was on my MTB and he was long gone!

They're all brain donors!
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Bad day yesterday- some neds in a corsa threw a banger at me whilst veering across the road towards me, then walking home from the pub I got egged! I wouldn't mind but it's leafy cheshire!
    It's not paranoia if it's true!
  • petemadoc
    KulaBen wrote:
    Bad day yesterday- some neds in a corsa threw a banger at me whilst veering across the road towards me, then walking home from the pub I got egged! I wouldn't mind but it's leafy cheshire!
    It's not paranoia if it's true!

What's the world coming to. If leafy Cheshire has gone bad then we're all fecked.