cycling for charity

cyclist83
cyclist83 Posts: 5
edited September 2010 in Tour & expedition
I am thinking of doing a charity ride from west yorkshire to london for the pakistan flood victims. I need help and advice as I haven't cycled for four years and never cycled in the UK. I did amateur road cycling abroad before I moved here. What type of equipment would I need? How long would it take? Are there any organisations who would help with equipment? Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Before you start you will need work out a route, from there you can work out how long it will take - you will need to decide how far you want to ride each day and plaln your stops accordingly.

Are you going to do it supported or unsupported - this will have an impact on what you can take with you. Obviously if you do it supported you can more or less take what you want in the vehicle.

You may find it diffuclt to get help with any equiptment unless you manage to get them to sponsor / support your ride.

It goes without saying that you will have to get out and train, l havejust finished LEJOG over 12days and most days we did over 70miles however in training most of my trainnig rides were around the 30 - 40miles, even if you cant get the high miles in then just get out and ride as much as you possibly can - there is no real substute for time in the saddle.

As regards to equiptment, any spares that you think you may need ie.tubes, tools. Food and drink for on the bike.

You may want to book accomodation in advance once youve decided on your daily mileage.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • hi, in july i cycled from york to dover (only way to get me and my bike to france for the trip this summer) i did 100 miles a day and took 3 days to get just past london to caterham. i didnt cycle hard i just cycled from early in the morning till mid-late afternoon. if you take it steady you should be able to do it in 4 days no problem, 3 days for a challenge.
    as for a bike, i'd recommend one without suspension, but everythign else doesnt really matter, just use what you have or what you can get easily. i did it on a Dawes Galaxy plus which was lent to me for my charity tour this summer, and had panniers on the back wheel. id recommend panniers rather then a backpack, cycling with a backpack isnt very nice and the weight of the panniers is hardly noticable.
    do pm me if you need anything, if you want i could give you the route i took, might be of some use, let me know.
    Phil
  • hi,
    you have done a great job mate. At the moment I am planing to do Bradford to London as I haven't ridden a bicycle for five years. Can you please give me advice regarding food and nutrition and tips during tour.
    Thanks in advance.