2005 Stumpjumper pro frame

cue_5oo
cue_5oo Posts: 3
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Hey All,
I have recently bought a second hand 05 Stumpjumper pro frame and plan to build it up over the next few months. It has a Fox Triad shock on the rear and from doing a little research have found that it was fitted originally with 130mm forks.
My question is this,
Does anyone know if it's ok to put a 140mm fork on it im thinking a Fox 32 Vanilla?
I don't want to push the frame beyond its limit! so if anyone can shed some light I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
James

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm certainly no expert but i can't see why 1cm extra travel would cause too much of an issue :)
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
    Is it this one?

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBC ... nuItemId=0

I have the '05 fsr manual (drop me a pm and I can email it to you).

I'm sorry to say that it says:

WARNING:
    Stumpjumper 100 & FSRxc: This frame is compatible ONLY with single crown forks that have travel of 4” (100mm) or less.
    Stumpjumper FSR 120: This frame is compatible ONLY with single crown forks that have 4.75” (130mm) or less.
    Use of different styled forks or forks with longer travel may result catastrophic failure of the frame which may result in serious personal injury or death.

I get the feeling they don't want you to use any longer travel forks! :shock:

David
  • dresbo
    dresbo Posts: 129
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    I still doubt that 1cm extra travel will really make any difference. I'd go for it.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It'll be fine, I thought some of them had TALAS forks with up to 140mm anyway, although that info suggests I'm confusing my model years!
  • cue_5oo
    cue_5oo Posts: 3
    Decided the same tbh, 10mm should be fine. Will be an ongoing project over the next few months getting it fully built, but will post some pictures once complete.

Cheers for all your replys,

James