Why buy a hybrid?

wgwarburton
wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
Hi,
We often see threads asking "which hybrid?" We also see threads (often the same ones) advocating road bikes, and occasionally the suggestion that an MTB is handy in winter.

Why wouldn't you just buy a road bike? You're going to be using for roads anyway, arn't you? Surely that should be the obvious, default option.

Race bike? No- no mudguards, no rack fittings, maybe a bit "sporty" for day-to-day riding.
Mountain bike? No- heavy, overcomplicated, no mudguards etc
Hybrid? No- the name gives it away, it's a compromise design, too heavy & upright for road use, too light and stiff for proper off-road use.

If you're commuting, then in most cases you'll be riding on the road. So buy a road bike.

Cheers,
W.

Comments

• Someone has been reading How to win friends and influence people!

People like choice. :lol:
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Some people don't get on with drops.

Some people aren't that fussed about weight and speed.

Some hybrids are lighter than perhaps you give them credit for. (The Giant Rapids andd Boardman hybrids in particular.)

Some people aren't you.

Cheers,
    W.
    Rules are for fools.
  • wgwarburton
    ...People like choice. :lol:

Yeah, and there's lots of it!

Race bike, TT bike, Touring bike, CX bike, Audax bike, Sportive bike... I think you can even get flat-bar road bikes, if you don't get on with any of the many variations on drop bars...

Cheers,
    W.
  • wgwarburton
    Waddlie wrote:
    Some people don't get on with drops.

Some people aren't that fussed about weight and speed.

Some hybrids are lighter than perhaps you give them credit for. (The Giant Rapids andd Boardman hybrids in particular.)

Some people aren't you.

Cheers,
    W.

Sure... "some people"... My thinking is that most people would be better served by a road bike for road use. I don't really get why it isn't the first choice...

Sure, if you find it doesn't suit you, there are alternatives that may well work better... I'm not suggesting a road bike is the answer to everyone's situation, I'm asking why it wouldn't be your first port-of-call?

Cheers,
    W.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Discs and better access to brakes. Apart from that, I can't see many reasons.
  • I think the OP would have been better off in the chat section of this forum and leave this section for people who want good and genuine advice from people whom have an interest in the common good of cycling and not the cyclist to cyclist negitivity your post spouts. If you want a road bike then fine. If people want a hybrid then fine.

I suppose you get just as annoyed when you see a mountain bike being used on tarmac? A lady on a gents frame? Or shock horror. :shock: A penny farthing being used by someone who is not victorian or an uni-cycle being used by someone other than a CLOWN?
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • waddlie
    Depends what you mean by "Road Use."

I do my road riding in the city. Constant stops and starts, filtering, kerbs, roadworks, jamming on the brakes at short notice, cars flying at me from all angles, potholes by the zillion which I don't have the space to avoid because of the other traffic.

On a road bike I feel (don't bother arguing with this, it's just my perception and I have no doubt yours is different) more "hunched over", less manoeuverable, I can only reach the brakes from the hoods (which doesn't give full braking power) or on the drops (which isn't comfortable for me during city riding). On a flatbar I've constantly got full braking power within easy reach; fatter tyres often found on hybrids soak up more of the bumps; the bike feels more chuckable as I'm ducking and diving around traffic.

And as for weight...

Giant Rapid 1 (£795 hybrid) = 20.1lb vs Giant Defy 2 (£825 road bike) = 21.1 lb
    Spesh Sirrus Spt (499 hybrid) = 23lb 2 oz vs Spesh Allez 24 (529 road bike) = 22lb 3 oz

The Giant is lighter and with the Spesh there's only a lb in it...
    Rules are for fools.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I've got a road bike and a hybrid, and the road bike would be rubbish for my commute, going to the pub, nipping into town at lunchtime along the canal in my normal shoes etc etc, and Waddlie has mentioned some of the reasons why.

What most people need is a just a bike, one that will go along the road at a good clip and also maybe along a gravel or canal path if needed. They don't care about their average speed on their way to work. Why shouldn't they get hybrids? I don't see many people actually riding in the drops around town in Birmingham, so what's the difference for most people?

Sure a road bike is going to better if people decide that's what they want to get into, but some people just want to get around.

And what does this mean?
    too heavy & upright for road use
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:

+1

Also, I can see where WGW is coming from with this post. So may people buy a hybrid to commute, get really into cycling and then buy a road bike anyway.
  • wgwarburton
    Hi,
    OK- my post clearly came across as much more aggressive than intended. My sincere apologies!

It was intended to be a "serious", rather than "chatty" thread. It was not intended to get people's back up and I'm really sorry that I phrased it so badly.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should only ride road bikes, I'm just thinking that it's a bit odd that so many people start from the assumption that a hybrid is the bike of choice for commuting.

Once again, apologies for the apparantly abrasive tone of my post.

Cheers,
    W.
  • MrChuck
    I'm just thinking that it's a bit odd that so many people start from the assumption that a hybrid is the bike of choice for commuting.

For an awful lot of people I'd say they're the perfect choice for commuting.
  • waddlie
    notsoblue wrote:
    iPete wrote:

+1

Also, I can see where WGW is coming from with this post. So may people buy a hybrid to commute, get really into cycling and then buy a road bike anyway.

I'm not sure that argument works. Perhaps the road bike replacing the hybrid isn't so much about making the commuting more awesome, but because the people in question enjoy cycling to work so much they start doing more recreational cycling, for which a road bike might be better suited?

Such people could also have potentially bought a road bike for commuting, hated it, decided they hate cycling altogether and give up. We're unlikely to see them posting on BR about what bike to get next, surely?
    Rules are for fools.
  • waddlie
    Hi,
    OK- my post clearly came across as much more aggressive than intended. My sincere apologies!

It was intended to be a "serious", rather than "chatty" thread. It was not intended to get people's back up and I'm really sorry that I phrased it so badly.

I'm not suggesting that everyone should only ride road bikes, I'm just thinking that it's a bit odd that so many people start from the assumption that a hybrid is the bike of choice for commuting.

Once again, apologies for the apparantly abrasive tone of my post.

Cheers,
    W.

My back remains resolutely down, I just get a bit defensive when I see another post which suggests that bikes without drops or whatever are inherently crapper...
    Rules are for fools.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I think the OP would have been better off in the chat section of this forum and leave this section for people who want good and genuine advice from people whom have an interest in the common good of cycling and not the cyclist to cyclist negitivity your post spouts. If you want a road bike then fine. If people want a hybrid then fine.

I suppose you get just as annoyed when you see a mountain bike being used on tarmac? A lady on a gents frame? Or shock horror. :shock: A penny farthing being used by someone who is not victorian or an uni-cycle being used by someone other than a CLOWN?

What a strange comment. Perhaps when you've made more than 32 posts you'll realise that the OP may be THE single most considered, expereicned and helpful person on this board and if he has a helpful and friendly suggestion for people who perhaps don't know as much about commuting by bike as they'd like, it might be worth taking it on board (of cours,e you can then ignore it as you choose).

Waddlie, your perception is very strange if you think a road bike is hard to "chuck around" - they're designed to be exceptionally manoeuvrable, way more so than the longer-wheel-based hybrids with more trail.

And finally, the "people want a bike they can take on a gravel path". Well, this may be a massive shock to all, but a road bike can manage that from time to time. So by all means, if paths make up a large part of your commute, buy something comfier, but it's not like it'll shatter or dissolve the moment the wheels touch anything other than tarmac. Road bikes are not fragile, people! Buying a hybrid or MTB in case you ever come across a towpath is like choosing a tractor over a hatchback in case you ever come across a muddy road.
  • biondino
    I think there's a lot more chance of someone buying a heavy, non-aero pile of pig iron and hating cycling than a lovely lean fast-accelerating piece of prettiness ;)
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    biondino wrote:
    I think the OP would have been better off in the chat section of this forum and leave this section for people who want good and genuine advice from people whom have an interest in the common good of cycling and not the cyclist to cyclist negitivity your post spouts. If you want a road bike then fine. If people want a hybrid then fine.

What a strange comment. Perhaps when you've made more than 32 posts you'll realise that the OP may be THE single most considered, expereicned and helpful person on this board and if he has a helpful and friendly suggestion for people who perhaps don't know as much about commuting by bike as they'd like, it might be worth taking it on board (of cours,e you can then ignore it as you choose).

Waddlie, your perception is very strange if you think a road bike is hard to "chuck around" - they're designed to be exceptionally manoeuvrable, way more so than the longer-wheel-based hybrids with more trail.

And finally, the "people want a bike they can take on a gravel path". Well, this may be a massive shock to all, but a road bike can manage that from time to time. So by all means, if paths make up a large part of your commute, buy something comfier, but it's not like it'll shatter or dissolve the moment the wheels touch anything other than tarmac. Road bikes are not fragile, people! Buying a hybrid or MTB in case you ever come across a towpath is like choosing a tractor over a hatchback in case you ever come across a muddy road.

Alright, can everyone put their handbags away.

I was quite surprised by the tone of WGW's opening post (having read many previous posts), so it's hardly a shock that someone might see it as quite negative. An apology has been issued, so is there need for more negativity?
  • waddlie
    Bio, I'm sorry you've found so much strangeness in other people's posts.

I'm more confident chucking a bike around when it has a flat handlebar. End of. Let me know when you see a BMX or free-ride bike with drops and then we can talk.
    Rules are for fools.
  • MrChuck
    And finally, the "people want a bike they can take on a gravel path". Well, this may be a massive shock to all, but a road bike can manage that from time to time. So by all means, if paths make up a large part of your commute, buy something comfier, but it's not like it'll shatter or dissolve the moment the wheels touch anything other than tarmac.

Quite right, but to my mind there's no real advantage to a 'proper' road bike over a decent hybrid for an urban commute (and I'm just talking about commuting here, what people might want a bike for outside of this is something else), and a few disadvantages.

I'm not suggesting that road bikes are ridiculous choices, and I'm certainly not suggesting they're too fragile, just trying to point out that hybrids aren't ridiculous choices either, and that for most people's commutes the idea that riding a bike with flat bars and V-brakes instead of drops anc calipers really matters strikes me as a bit odd. As I said, I've got one of each, and I know what each is good at and not so good at. Or at least my opinion :wink:
  • biondino
    Waddlie - perhaps it's just what you know. I guess you can be more blunt with wide, flat bars as there's less relative change in direction for each inch moved? Which works both ways, of course - off road you're going to be encountering all kinds of bumps and roots and holes which will wrench the front wheel and wide, flat bars will make it much easier to control.

On the flip side, when travelling on tarmac (and I appreciate it can be as rutted and bumpy as a trail!), I'd rather have precision and a hyper-manoeuvrable front end, and drops certainly offer me that.

I think I might blog about what road bikes can and can't do. Fear of roadies is pandemic and I'm sure is one of the reasons WGW mead his initial post. Of course they're not for everyone. But anyone who is looking to buy a bike a) for commuting on predominantly tarmac and b) with the intention of perhaps using the bike for longer weekend rides, then a road bike - in one of its many different incarnations, maximised for raciness, comfort or whatever - has to be a serious part of their consideration.

Oh, and I shall not put my handbag away - it took me ages to find one that matches this outfit.
  • waddlie
    biondino wrote:
    Waddlie - perhaps it's just what you know. I guess you can be more blunt with wide, flat bars as there's less relative change in direction for each inch moved? Which works both ways, of course - off road you're going to be encountering all kinds of bumps and roots and holes which will wrench the front wheel and wide, flat bars will make it much easier to control.

On the flip side, when travelling on tarmac (and I appreciate it can be as rutted and bumpy as a trail!), I'd rather have precision and a hyper-manoeuvrable front end, and drops certainly offer me that.

I think I might blog about what road bikes can and can't do. Fear of roadies is pandemic and I'm sure is one of the reasons WGW mead his initial post. Of course they're not for everyone. But anyone who is looking to buy a bike a) for commuting on predominantly tarmac and b) with the intention of perhaps using the bike for longer weekend rides, then a road bike - in one of its many different incarnations, maximised for raciness, comfort or whatever - has to be a serious part of their consideration.

Oh, and I shall not put my handbag away - it took me ages to find one that matches this outfit.

Fear of roadies? Pandemic? Seriously? Seems more like snobbery against hybrids to me...
    Rules are for fools.
  • biondino
    Two sides of the same coin. SO MANY people assume that the bike they need is a hybrid, either because that's what they see or because common sense says "well why wouldn't I want a nice safe bike that does everything?".

But time and time again we've seen that most people looking to buy a first bike, almost by definition, don't really know much about them and what the various options offer them. Apart from a few middle aged men who see the TdF and think "that could be me", most people are intimidated by the raciness, the thin tyres, drops, razor blade saddle etc of the roadie. They don't stop to think that actually, if you're riding on the road, and you want to enjoy a certain amount of speed and acceleration, then there might be a reason they're designed like this.

If someone really wants to pootle a few miles to work and back, and has no desire to go out on weekends, to go fast, to get into the whole bike fetishising aspect (not to be underestimated), then yep, a cheap hybrid may well suit them best. Even the most rabid roadie boosters would be hard pressed to argue. But most people want at least a little more if they're spending a substantial amount of cash.
  • Just because iv made 32 post does not mean that i havnt browsed this forum on a daily basis since joining. Nor should my 32 post make you think i am new to commuting. My 1st commute being way back in the day of 1989.

I never posted the OP so its my right to answer as i see it.

I come here to see if anyone post info regarding roads, traffic, accidents, pot holes, weather, etc that may affect my commute in glasgow. But maybe thats my fault for thinking things would change after the section got split. Yes i read all the DDD/Admin debates but still its the same "Why get a hybrid" mince is now appearing here. Sure, its a bit more cycling related than the ledgendary "Ladies, do you cycle commando?" or on the blob? afterall, this forum is suppose to be for all ages over 14 (i think) but i really dont see why this hybrid thing its an issue, in fact post like that may even turn people away from this forum who come for good advice and webpage which is sad.

Glasgow skyride was yesterday and im sure out of the 10000 or so riders less than 10% (i made that stat up, its just an educated guess after being there on the day) would have probably been on a "a proper road bike" as described here with drops etc, and the rest would have been MTBs and supermarket BikeShapedObjects and BMXs. Personally id much rather see a commuter on a supermarket BMX than in a car. And when he pulls up at the lights beside me i`ll resist saying "You wanna get yourself a road bike sonny. BMXs are mince" and let him go about his cycling how he sees fit. I said he/him but it could easyily have been a she/her, maybe on a shopper, with a basket. Are they classed as "road" bikes?
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • waddlie
    But you assume that other people are making assumptions. You also assume you know what "most people" want to spend their money on.

Has it crossed your mind that many people might have already looked through the various options and come to the logical conclusion that a hybrid will best meet their needs before posting? Or are we going to write them all off as ignorant and uneducated?
    Rules are for fools.
  • MrChuck
    If someone really wants to pootle a few miles to work and back, and has no desire to go out on weekends, to go fast, to get into the whole bike fetishising aspect (not to be underestimated), then yep, a cheap hybrid may well suit them best.

Agreed :D

Serious question though: leaving aside the going-out-on-weekends bit, say you have a Spesh Allez Sport, and a Spesh Sirrus of similar spec. Over, say, 5 miles commuting across town with all the stop-starting that involves, how much quicker do people think the Allez will be over the Sirrus, all other things being equal?

I'm not looking to get into the relative merits here, just asking what sort of figure people would reckon.
  • waddlie
    MrChuck wrote:
    If someone really wants to pootle a few miles to work and back, and has no desire to go out on weekends, to go fast, to get into the whole bike fetishising aspect (not to be underestimated), then yep, a cheap hybrid may well suit them best.

Agreed :D

Serious question though: leaving aside the going-out-on-weekends bit, say you have a Spesh Allez Sport, and a Spesh Sirrus of similar spec. Over, say, 5 miles commuting across town with all the stop-starting that involves, how much quicker do people think the Allez will be over the Sirrus, all other things being equal?

I'm not looking to get into the relative merits here, just asking what sort of figure people would reckon.

I'd be quicker on the Sirrus... :D
    Rules are for fools.
  • wgwarburton
    Waddlie wrote:
    ....Fear of roadies? Pandemic? Seriously? Seems more like snobbery against hybrids to me...

Snobbery? Where does that come into it? We're talking about commuting bikes, here! Ones that you ride to get to work on... often in "normal" clothes. My road bikes are decades old, scratched paint, odd repairs to keep them going etc... The best of them I inherited and the others have been picked up on eBay for peanuts. We're not talking carbon-fibre exotica...
    There is no snobbery here... I think people are being steered away from basic, functional, practical road bikes towards compromise bikes that are less well suited to the majority of commuting. I may simply be wrong about this... but I really don't see what the hybrid, as a category, has to offer over a sensible road bike (except perhaps value for money, 'cos that's what people are being (mis?)sold at the moment). if you want wider bars, a more upright position or better brakes, you can certainly get them on a road bike. Similarly, if you want stronger rims or a bit more tread on your tyres, you can get/upgrade a road bike to suit. Most people don't really need this, though...

Most road bikes are more than strong enough for bike paths, towpaths etc The brakes are perfectly adequate, can be suitably selected or upgraded if you prefer them more powerful, and are right underneath your fingers all the time when you're riding on the hoods.
    Late for the train? Headwind? Descent? Down onto the drops. Back a little stiff? Arms feeling sore? Tailwind? Ease up onto the tops. Accelerating? Climbing? Enjoy the lighter weight, more efficient position, and lower rotating mass from lighter rims & tyres.

These are "broad brush" advantages- any given hybrid might be lighter, or have better wheels or whatever... but as a category, the road bike seems better suited to the majority of road riding, and forays onto pathways, than the hybrid.

Perhaps a useful question might be "Where is the hybrid at home?", now ask yourself if that's where you really do most of your riding?

Cheers,
    W.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    iPete wrote:

+1

Also, I can see where WGW is coming from with this post. So many people buy a hybrid to commute, get really into cycling and then buy a road bike anyway.

I'm not sure that argument works. Perhaps the road bike replacing the hybrid isn't so much about making the commuting more awesome, but because the people in question enjoy cycling to work so much they start doing more recreational cycling, for which a road bike might be better suited?

Such people could also have potentially bought a road bike for commuting, hated it, decided they hate cycling altogether and give up. We're unlikely to see them posting on BR about what bike to get next, surely?

It entirely depends on your riding style. My housemate has the same model Hybrid that I do, and occasionally commutes into work. He rides at his own pace and (no matter how hard I try) hates SCR. He pootles round Richmond Park when the weather is nice and just enjoys being out on the bike. A hybrid is perfect for him. But I like riding fast, and can't help but get drawn into SCR when the opportunity arises. Which is why I've got a new roadie on order.

So yeah, you're absolutely right in your post. But I was commenting (vaguely) that there are many cyclists that do start commuting on a hybrid and later change to a drop bar road bike. I didn't say all, or even most do. :)
  • waddlie
    notsoblue wrote:
    Waddlie wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    iPete wrote:

+1

Also, I can see where WGW is coming from with this post. So many people buy a hybrid to commute, get really into cycling and then buy a road bike anyway.

It entirely depends on your riding style. My housemate has the same model Hybrid that I do, and occasionally commutes into work. He rides at his own pace and (no matter how hard I try) hates SCR. He pootles round Richmond Park when the weather is nice and just enjoys being out on the bike. A hybrid is perfect for him. But I like riding fast, and can't help but get drawn into SCR when the opportunity arises. Which is why I've got a new roadie on order.

So yeah, you're absolutely right in your post. But I was commenting (vaguely) that there are many cyclists that do start commuting on a hybrid and later change to a drop bar road bike. I didn't say all, or even most do. :)

So wait, what I'm hearing is "each to their own."

Mods, lock the thread! We're all done here.
    Rules are for fools.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    IMO the main reason hybrids are the "default" is that you can get a decent starter hybrid for £250, whereas a decent starter road bike is £400.
  • I think another issue is that "Hybrid" seems to encompass quite a large range of bikes.

I opted for a Hybrid, I went for a Boardman Pro which is more at the road end than the off-road end of the Hybrid spectrum.

I chose a hybrid for a few reasons, the biggest being that every time I've tried a road bike I've found the drops uncomfortable. Now, I'm willing to admit that it's likely that those bikes weren't a good fit for me.

Another reason was that I'm a big chap, somewhere around 19 stone (but reasonably fit) and I worried that a road bike would be a bit fragile for the commutes I planned. Again, I'm willing to admit that this could be a misconception.

Here's the thing though: I love my bike! It's great! The first time I rode it (after riding MTB's on the road) it felt like swapping between a Land Rover and a Lotus Elise, a real buzz that I still get every time I ride it.

I think it's the perfect machine for my commute through the City, I'm not convinced a road bike would do anything better. I'm at the stage where I'm looking to do some long weekend rides... but I'm still not convinced it's worth upgrading to a road bike, what would I get? 23C tyres instead of 28C and different shaped handlebars?
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra