Another member of the 705 owner's club...

Aidy
Aidy Posts: 2,015
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Yes, I've got one too now.

Now to work out what I can actually do with it, besides wind DDD up.

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Pressing stop and holding down the lap button after you've finished your ride until it goes "brdrdiddlydrdrdr" is the only thing you need to know really (well, that and pressing the power and then the start button at the beginning).
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    aidy it can be as complicated or as simple as you want.
  • Aidy
    spasypaddy wrote:
    aidy it can be as complicated or as simple as you want.

It's pretty much just a new shiny toy right now :)

We'll see if it actually becomes useful at any stage...
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    prj45 wrote:
    Pressing stop and holding down the lap button after you've finished your ride until it goes "brdrdiddlydrdrdr" is the only thing you need to know really (well, that and pressing the power and then the start button at the beginning).

And make sure you hit the 'stop' button when you call into a cafe that has a roof. I'm fed up of trying to enjoy a break on a ride and all you can hear is "brdrdiddlydrdrdr" every 2 seconds from a dozen 705s in the room because they're trying to get a satellite signal inside the cafe!

Top bit of kit though, if you don't mind the odd massively flawed firmware update :roll:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Anybody having issues uploading to Garmin Connect? Been trying to upload yesterdays data and it's been taking years.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    oh and be warned sometimes if the battery runs completely down it wipes the memory.
  • redvee
    spasypaddy wrote:
    oh and be warned sometimes if the battery runs completely down it wipes the memory.

Not had the battery clear the memory but it has happened to me with plenty of battery life left, maybe four hours of July summer sun was too much?
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    I'm keen to get one of these, is it the best on the market and when is the new model coming?

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • redvee
    Bill Gates wrote:
    I'm keen to get one of these, is it the best on the market and when is the new model coming?

There is a Garmin 800 on the garmin site but not sure how they compare. Best prices are usually found on Hantec, approx £70 cheaper than bike shops.
  • bill_gates
    I noticed that there were good prices on the 705 and lots of places offering the Cadence or HRM packs included at well under RRP making me think a revised model was not too far off.

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    redvee wrote:
    Bill Gates wrote:
    Best prices are usually found on Hantec, approx £70 cheaper than bike shops.

That's where i got mine
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • bill_gates
    What other packages would you need to buy to have a complete setup.

The one at Handtec has HRM and Cadence, do you not need the maps for Europe to get GPS or is that included?

Does that come with a case, bike mount, etc also?

• redvee
    My deal from Handtec had GB maps, CAD & HRM. The box had two bar/stem mounts. Don't bother buying the Garmin case if you plan to just put the computer in it, it is far too big. It is intended for computer and cables etc. I bought a Hama digital camera case for £10 from a camera shop, take the computer into the shop with you and try them for size.
  • bill_gates
    Thats sounds ideal and is probably all that I'd want/need. Is that just the CycleGPS link on the Handtec site or was it a specific link?

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Aidy wrote:

:evil: :evil: :evil:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Aidy
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I feel like I've had my money's worth already :)
  • redvee
    Bill Gates wrote:
    Thats sounds ideal and is probably all that I'd want/need. Is that just the CycleGPS link on the Handtec site or was it a specific link?

£293.52, £1 more than I paid last christmas.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Am I right in thinking the GPS functions (or more specifically, the mapping capability) is different depending on which of the SD/DVD/Download versions of the maps you buy?

Have read somewhere this makes a difference, but can't find reference (sorry!).

Also, I assume I'll need Topo maps if I also want off-road use with MTB?
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i must be the only person who is not impressed with there 705. i have had to send it back to garmin twice. once because the file system got trashed and second the usb socket shorted and had to be replaced.

Now its stopped recording altitude dater, the minute there is a strong wind you can forget about getting any reading at all.

Mine just seems to be jinxed i wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The 500 looks a lot more robust and water/snot proof then the 705.
  • ricardo666
    ricardo666 Posts: 132
    I got my 705 second hand on here. after one guy had been touring round europe.

Best bit of kit, apart from the mount which is utter $h1te.

free open source maps on the raven family website
    http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/readme.txt

download gpx file from bikely, upload it to your
    garmin, go ride, get lost, and find your way back
    home with loads of new trails in your head.

the hrm is good for the fitness thought i hardly use it.
    If you fall off try again !

Trek EX8
    Handsome Dog XC01 with added ebay specials
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hrm, I have an unused Samsung Galaxy S sitting around at home. Sticking that on eBay could fund a 705...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    mkirby wrote:
    i must be the only person who is not impressed with there 705. i have had to send it back to garmin twice. once because the file system got trashed and second the usb socket shorted and had to be replaced.

Now its stopped recording altitude dater, the minute there is a strong wind you can forget about getting any reading at all.

Mine just seems to be jinxed i wouldn't recommend them to anyone. The 500 looks a lot more robust and water/snot proof then the 705.

It is good when it works, but for the money it has far too many faults in its software.