1978 Shorter Rochford sprint bike

boogercj
boogercj Posts: 316
edited September 2010 in Road general
I've been into MTB since I was a nipper but I really want to get into road riding. My current MTB is a singlespeed and I love the singlespeed thing. I mentioned I was after a road bike, and my mate sent me some pictures of his uncle's Shorter Cycles road bike from the 70's. Says I can have it for £200. Not quite sure on the exact spec, but it's the right size for me (21" and I'm just over 6') and has Shimano Dura-ace cranks and Campagnolo deralllieurs from the pictures. Anyone think this is madness, or should I go for it? I personally really like the look of it and might make a great SS bike one day!

DSCF1220.jpg
DSCF1233.jpg
DSCF1223.jpg
DSCF1222.jpg

I imagine it might need a new BB, tyres and a good service but everything else is aparently in great condition. Any opinions?

Comments

• boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    OK, some more (rough spec):

Alan Shorter sprint bike circa 1978 - only one of 5 made
    Columbus tubing
    Shimano 10 Dura Ace chainset
    Shimano brakes
    Campagnolo hubs, rims and tubs
    Campagnolo Derallieurs
    Concor leather saddle
    All original.

More pics:

DSCF1234.jpg
    DSCF1237.jpg
    DSCF1227.jpg
    DSCF1239.jpg
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW chainset/pedals are Shimano DuraAce AX - introduced in 1981 - quite collectable these day. I wouldn't attribute any high value to the frame, but its still a nice period piece. Sell the wheels and parts and you'll have enough to fund your conversion..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Looks like a very nice bike, have you any idea what tubing it is made from?
    Any mention of Shorter frames makes me think back to my youth looking at pictures of Alf Engers; I think he used a Shorter frame when he broke the 25 mile record and went under 50 minutes.
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Just read the second post, Columbus tubing so it would be quite good quality. If you do decide to buy it make sure the seat post and stem are not seized in.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Expect the frame tubing is Columbus SL - it was the top frame tubing of that era
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Crumbs, cheers guys! Well on all that info I've committed to buyign it now - can't wait to get it back frome London and let it loose on these Devon hills!