650C Fixie Project

POB_London
POB_London Posts: 1,016
edited August 2010 in Road general
Years ago I ran a very nice Kona fixie using some Canadian "Spot" wheels and the Pace rigid carbon forks. It was great but I was stuck with a 'magic gear ratio' (this was the time before eccentric BBs).

At the time I always thought it would be nice to attack the challenge of an urban fixie properly. Well I think that time may be here! The bike needs to be strong, very light and minimalistic, while still retaining MTB flickability, old-skool Kona power delivery and the nimbleness that comes with small wheels. It needs to have light wheels with decent low rolling resistance tyres. I'm thinking of using a disk brake up front, no rear brake, nice track ends and real quality finishing kit.

I have got some kit already: a 1995 Kona Cinder Cone & Pace forks, some Paul Components track ends, retro tubular Middleburn cranks and a Hope mono mini disk. I also have a flite SLR saddle, and carbon bars & seatpost. For the project I built some wheels using 650C Mavic Open Pro CD rims (no braking surface, anodised grey and much lighter than most 26" options). For hubs I used a Goldtec flip-flop rear with fixed cogs both sides and a black Hope XC hub up front. All with black DT Rev spokes.

I am about to send the frame off to be converted, but I'm pretty hopeless with graphics and stuff. I'm looking for an urban effect, but without the mock-military stencil fonts and olive drab paint. Something modern but also a bit retro. Any ideas would be great - some buddies of mine suggested FIBUA as a name, which I like. This is my best effort so far, comments or better ideas welcome!

FIBUA_Concept.jpg

As I get to putting stuff together I can stick photos up, if there's any interest. Eventual aim is to use the bike for road rides and a 20-mile each way commute.

Ta!
blimey - bit windy / cold / wet innit? My blog is at http://www.lewismiller.info

Comments

• stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    From experience: absolutely, definately get a rear brake. And discs are heavier than other types.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Horizontal rear drop outs and fitting a rear disc would make life difficult - unless you get some slotted rear brake tabs fitted. I'm currently running a fixed with a single BB7 disk brake - more than adequate IME - handles 20% downhills at 60kph so more than adequate for urban use.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    To an extent you seem to be reinventing the wheel there. There have been plenty of SS MTB frames around over the years with either sliding rear dropouts or track ends with slotted caliper mounts. Reworking a frame with fixed vertical dropouts seems like a lot of work compared with simply sourcing a purpose built SS frame in the first place. Something like an Inbred can be had pretty cheaply used since they were so popular. I know a Surly 1x1 will hold it's value better, but I don't know why since the On-One is a much better frame. There is also the Kona Unit and god knows how many "boutique" brands out there.

I had a fixed Inbred for a while and it was a cracking city bike, I traded it in for an original Langster (not the soft modern one) to take road riding.