Winter Hill Rivington

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited September 2010 in Routes
Ello,
I'm off for a ride around Rivington tomorrow and I'd like to do the dog kenel descent, but I don't know how to get up on to winter hill, I thought about climbing over the stile up by the Pike tower, but I knowI'd get collared :oops: , So I'm wondering how does anyone getup to the masts without climbing stiles and getting told off.
Any info would be great as I'm thick lol
Caz xxx

Comments

• davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    There's a gravel road that runs from the pidgeon tower, past the pike and carries on and eventually meets chorley old road. Quite a way after the pike there is a group of about 6 houses (and a dog hotel) on the left. Take the road on the left after the houses, this leads to the mast. If you pass a quarry on the left you've gone too far.
    Whatever you do, don't try and ride the direct route from the pike to the mast, it's like a swamp and you'll be carrying the bike most of the way :evil:
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    Thanks for that :D, I got to the dog kennel last time I went up there, but didn't dare go any further :oops:
    I'll deffo go that way tomorrow, the descents off the Hill look great fun :D
    thank you again.
    Caz xxx
  • I do a lot of biking around that area and there are a few points of access on a bike. The one I use is the route that begins over at smithills deane road, when you get to the top of smithills dean there is a small road straight ahead. There is space to park if you have a car if you follow it up. Then its a climb up to the top nothing too steep nice and gradual. You end up following a slab path next to a fence then you hit the road on top of the hill. Then you have many options of which way to come down. hope this helps.