Is THIS the Tubeless " Holy Grail "?

Splottboy
Splottboy Posts: 3,695
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Struggling for the last week or so, think I've found the ANSWER! ( Maybe...)

Before putting the tyre near the rim, I used a small dish of warm water, a few squirts - "Oo er Missus" - of handwash soap, and...a...small brush, the type used to baste a turkey, with natural bristles. ( That's the brush, NOT the turkey! )

Gave the rims a GOOD coat of the soapy solution via the brush.
Mounted the rims, in went the Stans x 2 scoops.
Track pumped em to just under 40 psi. Load "snaps" as the bead went into the rims.

Had a few bits of sealant leaks via the rim/seal BUT...
They've stayed up for hours, as opposed to losing air in a few mins like previously.

CONCLUSION: The BRUSH and soap application has done the trick, so far...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    is that not in the instructions?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Splottboy
    Well, sorta, but having used a cloth, fingers and other stuff...

It was the BRUSH that applied a nice coating of the soapy stuff.

This fine fibres seem to get into all the crooks and nannys - sorry, nooks and crannys.

Maybe it was the finger sweat/grease etc that stopped the seal binding.

So, seals, turkeys and other assorted animals may have solved the situation.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Preeeeeety sure the brush is in the instructions.
  • Splottboy
    Not on mine! Stans, Hutchisons, Slime don't go into it.

Thank God the Mrs doesn't do much cooking, so I can use her "implements..."
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    The video on Stans site has the brush though.
  • Splottboy
    VIDEO?! There's a VIDEO?!

Oh well, won't be seeling my "Splottboy/Stan's Brush" concept anytime soon then...

( The brush HAS been washed so my Christmas turkey won't taste of rubber...again.)
  • Anonymous
    Step 3. HERE
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Splottboy wrote:
    VIDEO?! There's a VIDEO?!

http://www.notubes.com/movieinstall.php
  • Splottboy
    Thanks, great tips there, especially the shaky-shaky thing.

Mine still up after 5 hrs, and no sealant leaking etc.
    Brush I used tiny in comparison, and i did the rims BEFORE FITTING the tyres.

BEST thing though was, Stan guy had a metal stand for assistance...

Whereas I had the Mrs in her Nurses Uniform helping me get, Pumped Up Hard,
    as she was on her way to work/nights.
    Think this is why I had a small bit of "leakage"...
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Buy tubeless ready tyres, just fit and pump up no faff reqd
  • Anonymous
    I think a lot of how easy it is depends on the tyre.

I set up a pair of Stan's Arch with Maxxis Crossmarks with no trouble at all, no soap & water, just pulled the bead in to edge of the rim, added sealant and pumped like fook. Went up and stayed up.

I think the reason I had a easy time with Crossmarks is because they are a light weight and pliable tyre. My theory is the heavier duty the tyre the harder it'll be.

Though the light weight of the tyre did go against me when I had the rear pumped up at max pressure and landed slightly 'off line', one side of the tyre blew clean off the rim.
  • Splottboy
    These ARE tubeless or Eskar Tubeliss tyres.

LBS tried compressor/slime.

I tried Hutchison seal/track pump.

Now its Stans, Mrs in her Nurses uniform, my grunting/pumping and "Hey Presto" !!!
  • Splottboy

Now its Stans, Mrs in her Nurses uniform, my grunting/pumping and "Hey Presto" !!!
  • Anonymous
    I don't understand why tubeless is more prone to popping off the rim than tubed tyres. I can;t get my head round it.
  • Anonymous
    Splottboy wrote:

WHICH bike shop? Revolution?
  • Splottboy
    Cycle Wales, Talysarn.
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, don't know that one. I'm pretty sure Revolution would have sorted you out.
  • Splottboy
    Revo sorted my others out, so well, can't get them off now!!

I'll run em til they are bare and then use pliers/knives/power tools etc...
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Guess I've just been lucky then, my ghetto taped bontrager rims have been flawless. Just shove the tyre on (bonty tlr or a maxxis lust) and pump as normal with track pump, doesn't need juice to stay up either but added it anyway
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    I don't understand why tubeless is more prone to popping off the rim than tubed tyres. I can;t get my head round it.

It depends on the tyres and rim used. Tubeless needs to hook onto the rim to create the air seal Run too low a PSI and the tyres can walk off the rim. Use the wrong tyres or rim and the seal can be poor making this easy to happen. Also, UST tyres have stiffer side walls that make up for the lack of an inner tube that supports the tyre. Add these factors all in and this is why UST rims/tyres are the safest/most robust option.

A tip for getting really stubborn tyres to seat:

Put tyre on wheel and add a tube as normal. Inflate until seated. Deflate. Take out tube but make sure one side of the tyre is still on the rim. Now inflate with better odds of the tyre seating to the rim.

:)
  • Anonymous
    I just don't see the point of tubeless without sealant.
    Stick some sealant in and you're pretty much unstoppable.
  • Anonymous
    weescott wrote:

It depends on the tyres and rim used. Tubeless needs to hook onto the rim to create the air seal Run too low a PSI and the tyres can walk off the rim. Use the wrong tyres or rim and the seal can be poor making this easy to happen. Also, UST tyres have stiffer side walls that make up for the lack of an inner tube that supports the tyre. Add these factors all in and this is why UST rims/tyres are the safest/most robust option.

A tip for getting really stubborn tyres to seat:

Put tyre on wheel and add a tube as normal. Inflate until seated. Deflate. Take out tube but make sure one side of the tyre is still on the rim. Now inflate with better odds of the tyre seating to the rim.

:)

I had the opposite problem, I ran a tyre that was too flimsy at too higher pressure, landed a jump at a angle and literally blew the tyre clean off the rim, not a burp a bang, fluid everywhere and a walk home.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I run tubeless on tubeless rims on my zesty but thought I would have a stab at a ghetto tubeless on the HT.

So...cut up a brompton tube to make the rim strip, soaped it up and slapped in the stans.......10 mins of frantic pumping with the track pump and some wheel shaking to disperse stans to the leaky areas....we have lift off!

I took it for its maiden voyage this morning - seems to work a treat. Started tentatively but soon forgot all about it. Hammered it down some rooty downhills, down steps and through pretty bumpy terrain. Has held up fine.

I trialled this on the back wheel first. Figured that if it did go tits up then it shouldn't hopefully be as catestrophic as a front tyre rolling off.

I have Ritchey Pro Wheels and am using a Maxxis UST Crossmark.

Now - my question is with regards to the "hook" on the bead...do you reckon I will at some point experience any issues with it rolling off the rim? Should I invest in a tubeless rimkit (which I believe have the "shape" to mimic proper UST rims?

Or should I just enjoy what I am doing!?

Also - is there any issue using a UST specific tyre on a standard rim?
  • weescott
    What we do know is that all UST tyres work with all UST rims. UST tyres work fine on standard rims but running them tubeless on non UST rims is an unknown given all the different rim designs. Some manufacturers will warranty a non tubeless tyre when run tubeless, some won't. Some standard tyres work tubeless on some rims.

What would be helpful is to have a list of peoples experiences with varying tyres and rims/wheelsets. We would also need to know what type of rider they are and what type of trails they ride.
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    i have literally just finished posting in the crudcatcher and pumping up a non tubeless type tyre on a dt 5.1 rim with a regular stans strip, went up first time in about 60 seconds, easy peasy, im under no illusion it wont hold any air as there is no sealant in them, i was just seeing if the strips i have would fit and work in a 5.1 rim. turns out they work just fine.

good job as ive just ordered 2 new tubeless ready tyres.

i am also interested to find out why regular tyres tend to pop off of rims when converted, it has happened with a couple of maxxis and continental conversions i tried in the past which is why i always say to use tyres intended for the purpose. these regular tyres are so tight n the 5.1 that im wondering if they will work fine. the maxxis and continentals were slack and took loads of effort to get pumped up and ultimately, werent reliable once fitted.

does anyone know if a tighter fitting tyre is actually less likely to burping off the rim?
  • Splottboy
    UPDATE: Well, they are still up, seem to be as hard as last night, and not lost too much if any air. ( Pumped em to 40 psi according to my track pump, so apprex then...)

Gonna try em out for a hilly road road in a min, jusy to see it they are solid.

Still think the coating the rims with soapy water/brush, BEFORE even fitting the tyre, is the "key" as the fluid get right into the rims edges.
  • weescott
    does anyone know if a tighter fitting tyre is actually less likely to burping off the rim?

I think so. The 2009 Schwalbe Nobby Nic UST had some seating issues. The 2010 version is a tighter fit on the rim. A tighter fit than the Mountain King UST's for sure.