On One 456 CHAIN SUCK !!!!

Neil Fat man on a bike
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I currently ride a 456 (2 year old frame)and woud like to hear from other riders of 456's with regards to chain suck.
It has been pretty bad from word go but has deffinately got worse the stronger I have become.
I know that dirty and worn drive chain and even poor gear choice and gear changing can all contribute to chainsuck. However, I'm running a new chain on new rings with a new deraillier and cassette, so it isn't that.
I read some where on the forum that the more recent 456's have had more space created around the chainstays to try and eliminate issues of chain suck.
This is a real pain. I have got to the point where I just try and avoid the granny at all, resulting in real hard work on some climbs (probably good strengh trainning though).
In fact quite often, I just leave the On One at home and take a different bike.
It's got to the point that I'm looking at a whole new frame choice and switching to a hub gear (new Alfine 11, if or when it gets released.......dreams of a Rohloff).
So......the question is..........
Is it just me ? Or, are there other 456 owners that are facing these problems?
Could I add some spacers to the drive side to increase the gap between the chainstay and granny ring, and would it have the desired effect? Or wuld that just bugger up the alignment for the rest of the gears?

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    I've heard quite a few people blaming their On-One for chain suck. Feck all to do with the frame.
    You are sure that you have the correct spacers, no sticking links, decent lube, good rings etc? I've seen new rings with burrs on, could cause it.
    I run a SS456 with double and bash setup, never had chain suck.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    nicklouse wrote:

Brilliant link Nic. That has to be the best web based explanation yet.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I had massive CS on my Inbred. Changed to Middleburn rings and it has gone away. The XT rings they replaced were very worn though.
  • Thanks for your responses guys.

Good read Nick, thank you.

1-ring suck : replace the worn chain-ring (usually the granny, but sometimes the middle-ring) with a ring of strong and tough material to achieve the above aims; if it is also accurately machined rather than die-stamped, this will improve things even more. This is the fundamental solution which gets rid of the problem at its source. For the granny, avoid aluminium, even special alloys ; die-pressed powder-alloys also result in weak rings ; use an especially tough hard steel (eg an appropriate type of stainless steel), or use titanium. If the problem item is a larger chain-ring (say 30 or more teeth), a very high strength aluminium alloy may provide an acceptable component life.

OK so I'm a hefty lad (fat ) and quite powerful.
    I must have knackered the granny ring on day 1 !!!!
    So next question, who makes the toughest granny rings that can be fitted to a Shimano Hollowtech II ?
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    for some unknown reason I thought chainsuck was when it hit the chainstay :oops:

live and learn
  • ratty2k
    Thanks for your responses guys.

Good read Nick, thank you.

1-ring suck : replace the worn chain-ring (usually the granny, but sometimes the middle-ring) with a ring of strong and tough material to achieve the above aims; if it is also accurately machined rather than die-stamped, this will improve things even more. This is the fundamental solution which gets rid of the problem at its source. For the granny, avoid aluminium, even special alloys ; die-pressed powder-alloys also result in weak rings ; use an especially tough hard steel (eg an appropriate type of stainless steel), or use titanium. If the problem item is a larger chain-ring (say 30 or more teeth), a very high strength aluminium alloy may provide an acceptable component life.

OK so I'm a hefty lad (fat ) and quite powerful.
    I must have knackered the granny ring on day 1 !!!!
    So next question, who makes the toughest granny rings that can be fitted to a Shimano Hollowtech II ?

Shimano, steel deore one. never had issues with mine.
    My Pics !

• Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    kenan wrote:
    for some unknown reason I thought chainsuck was when it hit the chainstay :oops:

live and learn

That's exactly what it is. It's usually caused by worn chainrings not releasing the chain properly, pulling it up and grinding it into the bottom of the chainstay. This can cause serious damage, and over time will write a frame off.

You may also be thinking of 'chainslap', which is caused by the chain going slack and hitting the chainstay on both the top and bottom - which is caused by the mech's inability to keep tension. This can sometimes be cured by removing a few links from the chain. Not so much of a serious issue, but it doesn't look nice.
  • speedy21
    speedy21 Posts: 153
    has the extra space on the 2010 frame solved this problem??
    any owners with 2010 experience
  • nicklouse
    speedy21 wrote:
    has the extra space on the 2010 frame solved this problem??
    any owners with 2010 experience

it is not a frame problem

it is worn parts problem. it can happen on any and all frames.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, but some frames do deal with it better due to clearances etc when it happens, so even though the frame can never cause chainsuck it's not irrelevant.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    but if you made the frame more chain suck friendly you would loose mug clearance or need a longer chainstay. things that change what a bike is.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Well, not always, they mproved the Inbred's chain clearance without sacrificing that by changing the chainstay shape frinstance.My Hemlock likes to jam the chain up if it chainsucks high enough and I reckon that could be avoided with a reprofiled chainstay for that matter. My mate's Merlin 4 has more mud clearance on the chain side than the other so could afford to lose a little there. Sometimes it's just about using the space better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Indeed . I get chain suck on my 29er Tit Inbred ,started since it was new! my solution is back pedal slightly once changed down into granny, hardly the ideal I know , roll on the new Alfine.
    Don't think, BE:
  • speedy21
    speedy21 Posts: 153
    2010 frame , has this at least helped the after effects of a chain suck by having the extra clearance
  • Why doesn't it happen on any other bike I've had?
    Are Shimano derora xt rings just soft as shit and deforming straight away?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I've got a 2010 456 and have never had chain suck (bet I will next time I ride it now :lol: ) and it does look like the chainstay has been designed to deal with better, its slightly indented would be the best way to describe it
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Why doesn't it happen on any other bike I've had?
    Are Shimano derora xt rings just soft as shoot and deforming straight away?
    Pretty much, yeah.

In more depth, they're made from alu, to be lighter, however, they wear incredibly quickly.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Are XT rings, middle ones anyway, not a composite spider with steel teeth?
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    1x9 or 1x10 solves it nicely too.
  • ratty2k
    I have SLX double and bash on my Reign (made from the standard 3 ring setup) I know that is a steel granny and composite middle.
    Like mentioned, get the cheap ones, barely any extra weight, last much longer, cheap and reduced chainsuck.
    My Pics !

• mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    other bikes do get it, but because there's clearance the cahin drops back down and you forget it ever happened. The 456 doesn't have space and the chain wedges and won't drop back down without you stopping and manually removing it, which you don't tend to forget about.
    As long as i make sure the chain is well oiled, mine is now fine. I moved the chain line slightly out so that if it happens, i don't have to remove the cranks to free the chain (as i had to the first time it happened :shock: )
    I have RaceFace Deus chainrings and SRAM chain