The meaning behind Shimano's groupset names

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
2300, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace

You don't just fall upon these, at first I thought there may be something with ending with 'ra' but I don't think there is.

So, is there meaning behind Shimano's road groupset names?

(I have no clue about their other groupset ranges)
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Or maybe: 42-ra. That doesn't account for DA, though. But then maybe there's always an anomaly in life.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Shimano like to mangle words together to make new ones. Apparently Ultegra is ULTimate IntEGRity, Dura-Ace is DURAble for Ace riders.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
  • I suspect there's less thinking than you think behind them (or maybe meaning, not thinking); Japanese/English translation often shows up as nonsense words (I just spent a fruitless 10 minutes searching for the sort of meaningless statements you find printed on t-shirts - "Super Lucky Power Happy Corp!, e.g.), so I reckon the names have been chosen to sound like they're on a product with technical/high quality/modern/futuristic properties, rather than having any rational or connected meaning.

Look at car names for a similar example. Mondeo, Megane, Mio (random choice of names beginning with 'm'). They're all supposed to strike a psychological chord with the buyer.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    " A rose by any other name........." As long as it works and does what it says on the tin then names don't matter.

But it would be nice to know where the come from. Using the car name allergy(?) the ford range certainly don't seem to follow on only through the general look of the cars, and gear sets all look the same.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sora means 'sky' in Japanese. Alivio means' lighter' in some languages, while Deore comes from the word 'Dear' and is also an old English name.