Training & commuting?

EssexCyclist
EssexCyclist Posts: 35
edited September 2010 in Commuting general
I'd be very interested to hear if any of you have a regular commute of 3 days plus and still fit in training, or incorporate training in to the commute.

Personally I commute 33 miles per day 3-4 times per week and often find myself in auto pilot. I ride a Scott Sub 30 and average around 16mph. Some days I try and 'take it easy' and other days 'go for it' but it rarely works out. I'm sure its mental, its hard to go balls out 1st thing Monday knowing you have another 5 rides in the next 60 hours...

I'd be extremely interested to hear your views.

Thanks & ride safe.

Comments

• My training is my commute.

40-45 miles per day. 5 days per week
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ditto EPS; 29 miles 3 days a week, 44 miles 2 days a week and quite often a 70 or 100 at the weekend.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    most of my training is my commute. I say training but i don't do any events or anything. I also ride with clubs at the weekend when i can. I love the commute. There's nothing like the morning and evening chase thru the traffic. It doesn't sound like you relish your commute which may be part of the problem. You're doing a long one so perhaps it would be best just to get used to enjoying the ride to start with before upping the intensity
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I genuinely love my commute but I take your point in that it's ok to just enjoy the ride. I'm only back in to my cycling this year after a long hiatus and maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk so to speak.
  • My commute is my training as I don't have enough time to do any other phys, although I don't "train" for anything specific. My commute is a minimum 25 miles per day, sometimes longer, time and weather permitting! If you want to "go for it" but if it's not working perhaps your commute is a bit long for your fitness level. Try a bit of variation. Some days I decide that I'm going to turn a bigger gear than is comfy on the open road sections, and some days I focus the effort on the stop/start city-centre sections with sharp accelerations and high leg speed. You don't need to go balls-out for the whole ride! Focus on specifics. Perhaps big-ringing it up a particular hill might be tomorrow's target.

Sometimes tho, I'm just not "up" for it, and I don't let it bother me. Like on a Friday evening. Sometimes I'm just happy to be going home and in no particular rush. What I have found is that my motivation is hugely affected by booze, diet and sleep. And traffic, and the damn breeze. Even which pair of shorts I wear affects my mood! Sounds like the perfect justification for some more gear (and if anybody from Prendas read this, please re-issue some Raleigh Banana shorts to match the new jerseys!) :lol:
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I have a 13 mile commute each way. I try to do this 3 times a week - saves petrol and helps to get the miles in. Trouble is - when on nights, I find it hard to have a 'training' ride home at 7:00AM. I'm possibly at my lowest ebb then. Before now, I have arrived home and wondered 'how the hell did I get here....!'.
  • I find it's best to take it easy and enjoy the ride at the beginning of the week, especially if you haven't been on the bike over the weekend (other readers may disagree and think this is actually the time to go all out). Because I'm well rested at the start of the week I find it easy to ride fast and so the commute is generally at its most fun. Save the extra effort for midweek onwards and/or when the weather is bad; this is when I find it most beneficial for increasing mental/physical stamina. Obviously ride cautiously in bad weather, but give it the beans when going uphill on these days to feel like you're M-ingTFU.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Training for what?
    More problems but still living....
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I use my commute as training or recovery rides, depending on what is planned for that day. Normally do this after work and basically will extend the commute home up to 3 hours.