Yeti AS-Rc

klingej
klingej Posts: 17
edited August 2010 in Your mountain bikes
A few pics of my rig this year. Been riding it 4-6 times a week for around 4 months and i still have a ridiculous grin on my face every single time i ride it - so mission accomplished :D

As far as the seatmast cut / lenght of stem goes i have the exact same body composition as a Silverback; extremely short legs and a long & burly upperbody. It Fits me like a glove and is comfortable like no other bike I've ridden.

It feels like the frame and the gruppo was more or less designed for the terrain you find i Denmark; woody & at times rooty singletrack with short but steep climbs & descents and at places somewhat technical, no big drops (unless you seek them out). Climbs like the proverbial goat and descends even better, can be thrown around corners like i dunno what.

Major parts build list:

Yeti AS-Rc 2009 frame, size M
Full XX gruppo, 39/26
SID XX 100mm Fork
Chris King Headset
XT Front Derailleur
Fizik Gobi XM (The eternal classic)
American Classic Tubeless 26"
Thomson 10mm 0 degree stem
Easton MonkeyLite XC, 680 mm
Time atac xs carbon
Rocket Ron tubeless 2,1 or Nobby Nic 2,25 or a combo of these two, depending on weather / terrain

A seperate comment on the wheels; relatively lightweight (ard 1500 grams), cheap and absolutely & utterly bombproof. They've taken everyhting i've thrown at them and laughed at it... including quite a bit of rather large rocks. Highly recommended for if you want just one wheel for everything short of serious gravity-defying stuff!

Pretty Pic 1
p1000554j.jpg

Pretty Pic 2
p1000558kh.jpg

Gritty Pic
mudyeti.jpg

Comments

• *dribbles*

Easily one of the nicest bikes of the year (see, I don't just go for things that are dead lairy).

Good job!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    see, I don't just go for things that are dead lairy

thats odd considering you have a bright blue and orange mmmbop :wink:

that yeti is pure pron tho 8)
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    That is one flipping gorgeous bike.
  • that is very nice,may I ask how much it weighs
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • Spugnut
    Spugnut Posts: 128
    Sur-weet.
    Happy trails.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    very impressive. i'm a big yeti fan and i want to own one one day
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ace looking. can you explain the seat clamp assembly type afair please:

how is the part the seat is attached to attached to the integrated seatpost/tube? is it something you adjust the length of your self and is it a pain in the bum to not be able to adjust the height of your saddle during a ride or does it not bother you?

fab looking bit of kit.
  • ace looking. can you explain the seat clamp assembly type afair please:

how is the part the seat is attached to attached to the integrated seatpost/tube? is it something you adjust the length of your self and is it a pain in the bum to not be able to adjust the height of your saddle during a ride or does it not bother you?

fab looking bit of kit.

I was wondering this too.

Answers on a postcard (or a lime)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Weird that.

Doesn't look very adjustable!
  • klingej
    Thanks for all the compliments :-)

@Lapierre t 400: around 10 kgs give or take - depends on tyres.

As for seatpost - it's not adjustable at all. The seatmast (as it's apparently called) has been cut using tools included in the frame-kit after a visiting a Retül bike-fitter. There are some drawbacks to this, mainly that it'll be hard to sell the bike (if i get that idea) and that it's a pain in the a** to find a transport case for the thing.

However the bike is more or less purpose-built for Danish trails; flat, forrest, steep but very short inclines & declines. So it doesn't bother me at all when riding it - the terrain in Denmark is simply too flat to warrant an on-the-fly adjustable seatpost for downhill or big drops.

For other (well British i guess) terrain it think i'd recommend the AS-R5c instead; almost the same weight & ride characteristics but 5" of travel and a normal seatpost. I tried it and it's a superb bike and more of an allrounder than this one, but not quite as weel suited for the terrain i ride 99% of the time.
  • Anonymous
    thanks, i have seen those in the bike mags and i remember it being described as in integrated seatpost, i wondered if yours was the same as the assembly looks bigger than i remembered:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... Farticle#3

awesome looking bit of kit.

oh, i think yeti were talking about making an adapter so you could run a regular post once the seat mast was removed.
  • klingej
    Thanks!

I think Yeti had problems with the 08 seat-mount-post-thing (or whatever it's called..) in that it didn't fix the saddle properly to the seatmast causing some people to crack their frame by tightening it excessively. I think they made it bigger for 2009 - and redesigned it entirely for 2010 along with the rear triangle.

I believe you're right - they do make some sort of adaptor for using a normal seatpost. I considered it for the added convenience but I sorta like the way the seatmast looks :)

/Jonas
  • Anonymous
    its rare to see something unusual on a bike these days an i reckon that fits the bill nicely,
  • thats a Very nice bike!
    Loving the XX gear too!
    Stunning!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why the XT front mech though? Surely you don't get as snappy a shift as you do with XX as the cable pull's slightly different.

They are nice frames, but I can't help but think ISPs solve a problem which never existed, particularly on MTBs, interesting to see Scott reverting to conventional seatposts on all MTBs for 2011.
  • klingej
    The XT basically because that was the only high-mount bottom-pull derailleur i had around when i built it. It works surprisingly well, but I've ordered an XX-derailleur that I'll mount when i get around to it. I have loads more fun riding it than fiddling with it (did that come out wrong?)...

And i actually agree that ISPs were mostly invented so that someone could sell a new frame to someone who already had a perfectly good frame. At least, at the limited wattage I (and most non-professional riders) am able to produce the supposed increase in stiffnes and thus in power transfer doesn't matter one bit.

I still like how it looks though 8)
  • j96_2
    j96_2 Posts: 188
    Bloody nice bike