• SamWise1972
    SamWise1972 Posts: 220
    edited August 2010
    Someone I know is getting married in this town:

shingay.jpg[/img]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Magpie_lane.jpg

Today plain Magpie Lane in Oxford, but to previous generations Gropecunt Lane

Pretty much any street called Grape would previously have been called Gropecunt. They were sensibly named after the activities that took place there, but the victorians got a little prudish about it, for some reason.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    Asprilla wrote:
    Magpie_lane.jpg

Today plain Magpie Lane in Oxford, but to previous generations Gropecunt Lane

Pretty much any street called Grape would previously have been called Gropecunt. They were sensibly named after the activities that took place there, but the victorians got a little prudish about it, for some reason.

Moronic language racism - it was the normal Anglo-Saxon word for vagina.
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,883
    I have a bit of a thing for etymology, so couldn't resist.

http://www.polysyllabic.com/?q=node/77

The other possibility is that the, ahem, trade had moved to new premises, rendering the street name misleading.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I was going to mention Wetwang (always made me snigger when I was going up to Rosedale Abbey as a teenager for a weekend's hiking).
    Ditto Penistone.
    Last time I passed through Cocks in Cornwall the street sign had been stolen (but my map book was clear)
    I'm from Scunthorpe (originally) so I can say with some authority that the Scunthorpe version of the "Who put the heart in Hartlepool?" is a reasonable question to pose.

So, ladeeez un gennleman, I'm having to resort to Upper Dicker :D
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I was going to mention Wetwang (always made me snigger when I was going up to Rosedale Abbey as a teenager for a weekend's hiking).
    Ditto Penistone.
    Last time I passed through Cocks in Cornwall the street sign had been stolen (but my map book was clear)
    I'm from Scunthorpe (originally) so I can say with some authority that the Scunthorpe version of the "Who put the heart in Hartlepool?" is a reasonable question to pose.D

Always seems an opportunity missed not to twin Penistone with Scunthorpe but maybe that's just me :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Horton-cum-Studley in Oxford which is right next to Studley Wood.

Just off the A2 in Kent, near Bluewater, is a place called Thong. A little further from the A2, using the same exit is a place called Chalk. So the sign on the Motorway for that exit says
    Thong
    Chalk
    That's some serious chaffing if you need to chalk your thong before putting it on!
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!