With one last stage done I'm back!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Yep, I'm back better and faster than ever before!

I did it. A full week on the bike!

True I did got the train from Liverpool street to Goodmayes on the journey for three days this week, but I ride all the way home. I also started the week doing South Wimbledon to Goodmayes (Ilford) and back and I have ended the week doing the same.

My miles so far (I have another 22miles to go)?

163miles!!!

The journey in takes me 1hr30min the Journey home takes 1hr40 - 2hrs.

My thighs are in a place between numb and pain but I feel so much fitter.

I've even changed my diet:

Breakfast bar (cholesterol reducing)
Banana *2
Rice cake with peanut butter
Sandwich
Water

I'm most impressed with the positive way my body has responded.

I'm what 'awesome' looks like!

'Yay team DDD'
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    SC Stats thread

That's the place for the nutters

Well Done
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Good effort, Sir. Do expect a good few weeks of feeling awful in the coming month or two, though. The first week didn't really hurt when I stepped up to every day (a measly 125 miles per week), but it seemed to get worse in the coming weeks. Now though, after about three months I feel strong and fast on most journeys and the pain has subsided, even on Thursdays.

Well done, and keep it up.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Well impressed DDD.

I'd second UE's comments. You start off thinking, "Oh, this isn't so hard", so you jump straight in for the 5-day both-ways, and a couple of weeks later, you find yourself crawling home on the granny cog. This is what happened to me when I stepped up from 10miles each way to 13 miles each way - a 30% increase. You've done a pretty much 100% increase if I understand correctly. The trick is to resist the temptation to give it full beans when you have fresh Monday morning legs - they've got to last all week.

Sounds like you've got a good bail-out plan with jumping on the train at Liverpool Street, so don't be afraid to use it before you're absolutely hanging rather than after. The breakfast sounds good too; make sure you get plenty of protein in as well to keep up with the extra wear and tear.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    edited August 2010
    Well done indeed. That'll stand you in good stead for the sportives....
    +1 for getting those figures up on SCStats. OK, my position will drop even further (35th, aaargh!), but never mind. Anyway, my own mileage is back up to 'normal' (110 last week), so that should improve....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Chapeau, but are you sure that you have sufficient awsome to keep it up?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DonDaddyD
    I can only get fitter.

And with my diet - that's breakfast and lunch I posted - I'm confident I'm heading in the right track! Dinner is usally as health concious. With the exception of yesterday - but it did help!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I can only get fitter.

And with my diet - that's breakfast and lunch I posted - I'm confident I'm heading in the right track! Dinner is usally as health concious. With the exception of yesterday - but it did help!
    You can overtrain. Google it. Supposed wisdom is to increase training volume by 10% a week and factor in some easier weeks to recover.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    As JG would agree, Guinness makes a great recovery drink :wink:
  • jonginge
    Cafewanda wrote:
    I just need to work out the drink required to recover from the guinness*

* more guiness possibly
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • DonDaddyD
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I can only get fitter.

You can overtrain. Google it. Supposed wisdom is to increase training volume by 10% a week and factor in some easier weeks to recover.

True very true.

I suspect that I will have to continue stopping of at Liverpool street next week and then the week after I may just have a day of public transport and more journeys doing the full route.
    Food Chain number = 4

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JonGinge wrote:

+1. Build up steadily. I sometimes wonder if when I was increasing my mileage last year, I was taking it too slowly. But nor did I end up getting injured, or just knackered, unlike the first IOW Randonnee I did (2008, 59 miles left me sore for a couple of days...!!!). And remember it's supposed to be fun!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I can only get fitter.

True very true.

I suspect that I will have to continue stopping of at Liverpool street next week and then the week after I may just have a day of public transport and more journeys doing the full route.
    Oh, good work BTW. The longer commute will do wonders for your cycling fitness. A good base over the winter and the sportives will seem easy(-ish) :)

I really need to do some long rides. I've been lazy/busy of late
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    JonGinge wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

* more guiness possibly

If I stick to Guinness of an evening I don't seem to get a hangover. My brain does shut down in the intelligence/thinking department as well, it's true, but no pain!

Nice work, DDD, that's a lot of riding. Chapeau.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    *Golf clap*
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Great work DDD. I would consider having some 'treats' with your diet, otherwise you may over-do the health kick and it won't last.
  • jonginge
    biondino wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

* more guiness possibly

If I stick to Guinness of an evening I don't seem to get a hangover. My brain does shut down in the intelligence/thinking department as well, it's true, but no pain!
    Actually, I'm the same. No headaches after guinness :D
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    When I was a student (many a year ago) a few of us lived for a week on Guinness and peanuts as a sponsored rag thingy. Talk about pebbledash......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.