can anyone recommend insurance?

37monkey
37monkey Posts: 141
edited November 2010 in Amateur race
Hi all,
Insurance would need to cover me for leisure/training and cat 4 I'm looking for the cycle equivalent to fully comp, I looked at British Cycling and was quoted just shy of £200 this is more than I pay for my motorbike and car combined!!! (both fully comp)
Bike is worth iro £2000
Thanks

Comments

• Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    Full accidental cover is around 10% of the replacement value of your bike so what you've been quoted by BC seems to be the going rate from what I understand.

Have a look at M &S Contents insurance to see if you can get a better quote/cover.

Obviously if you want cover when you're racing in Cat 4 races :oops: then with the incidence of crashes in these events I feel that insurers will obviously reflect the risk of damage to your bike accordingly.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Yep around 10% value of bike is the best I could find.

I'd like insurance for accident damage, but without cover for theft (house contents insurance covers that), but no-one seems to offer it.

Does anyone know if its possible to only take the BC policy out for the racing season and then cancel it for the winter or are you tied in to it for a year?
    More problems but still living....
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    In my experience decent home insurance will cover you for theft and accidental damage but no-one will cover you for events at a reasonable price. Looking in the small print I've seen plenty of insurance policies which include sportives as events as well as racing.

To be honest the chances of doing more than £200 of damage in a crash is small (I've seen 15-20 crashes and the worst damage was a destroyed wheel) so I wouldn't worry too much, that or buy a CAAD9 on the C2W scheme and race that, it's what C2W is for... :wink:
  • ETA
    did mine yesterday. bike = £2200 cover =£180 inc race insurance
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    I'd tentatively recommend M&S home contents. Tentatively because I don't trust any of them and have just had a long drawn out (bike theft) claim with them where no one could agree on a definition of my front door.

But they did pay in the end, and a couple of years ago when a plastic bag flew into my derailleur and trashed my wheel they paid up for parts with no problems. (I'm fairly sure they'd cover a taxi home as costs in an accident, but check).

They're not cheap for home insurance but for combined bike and home they work out well.
  • Richj
    Richj Posts: 240
    I have contents insurance through Nationwide which includes pedal cycles, they charged me an extra £5 a month to insure my bike to the value of £2000 and that included racing, provided I was not paid by a team to race, I got them to double check that part of the cover.

I made a claim with them last year after another cyclist ran into the back of me on a club run then fell on the bike, the bike was a write off. Had no problems processing the claim through Nationwide they were very good. Not sure who the underwriter of the policy is though
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I can reccomend M&S from experience.
    Unfortunately I crashed once training and they paid immediately £2500 and recently paid £4500 into my account once they recieved quote for replacement frame and bars. That was in a race but they never even asked how I damaged bike.
  • Sounds like the price you've been quoted is the going rate.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.