Geox - A new powerhouse?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited August 2010 in Pro race
Geox is fast becoming a powerhouse in stage racing!

Menchov
Sastre
Cunego
and rumored to get Horner (great domestique)

Comments

• bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    It'll certainly be interesting to see how they manage having two GT heavyweights in the team next July...
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    bipedal wrote:
    It'll certainly be interesting to see how they manage having two GT heavyweights in the team next July...
    I can't see the problem as one is an opportunist and the other is the calculator and the turd will hang onto anything in a GT.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Of those four names, only one is a genuine Grand Tour GC contender these days, so unlikely to be too much friction. Cunego for the Giro, Menchov for the Tour and Sastre for the Vuelta. Simple as.
  • spezial
    spezial Posts: 142
    Cunego has re-signed with Lampre, but really surprising that the other 2 have joined. It seemed Cervelo was built around Sastre, as Hushovd didn't exactly have much of a sprint train, what will happen to them now? Will they draft in another Grand Tour rider?

If Menchov was going anywhere after Rabo, you'd think Katusha would've been more likely.

There's a few good young riders in the Footon squad though, so 2 guys with 4 Grand Tour wins will be a good example for them (to climb conservatively and fall off a lot!).
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    A powerhouse?

The dog house seems more likely.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I really wonder what the Shack will look like if it continues next year? Who is their ageing GT contender? Klodi or Levi? Geox might pick up a Popovich but for now he might want to spread his wings a little. Levi certainly does. Probably suits them both to stay put at RS and ride for themsleves.

Menchov and Sastre are classy riders - Tour 08 and Giro 09 were great, especially showed how gutsy Sastre was and how cool and calm (and unable to stay upright) Menchov is. In the Tour that year he crashed going up hill (think it was a bit wet at the time).

By 2011 both will be older from the '10 Tour, both are 2nd category climbers at best. How will they respond to AC and AS type sharp attacks? They're both grinders and typically pull themselves back up slowly after an acceleration but they'll be struggle on the Galibier.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Spezial wrote:
    Cunego has re-signed with Lampre, but really surprising that the other 2 have joined. It seemed Cervelo was built around Sastre, as Hushovd didn't exactly have much of a sprint train, what will happen to them now? Will they draft in another Grand Tour rider?

If Menchov was going anywhere after Rabo, you'd think Katusha would've been more likely.

There's a few good young riders in the Footon squad though, so 2 guys with 4 Grand Tour wins will be a good example for them (to climb conservatively and fall off a lot!).

Why's that? Because he's Russian? Nationalism isn't always the main reason people do things in their careers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    donrhummy wrote:
    Spezial wrote:

Why's that? Because he's Russian? Nationalism isn't always the main reason people do things in their careers.

A Russian team is more likely to pay more for a good russian rider.

http://cyclocosm.com/2010/08/the-intern ... advantage/
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I'd guess very good GC or classics riders will be nervous to sign for the shack given the shiitstorm Landis and Lemond have heading their way..Geox's gain, any other team's gain
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I can't see the Shack existing next year. The Shack itself is very vulnerable as a business. Likely future owners are reportedly unlikely to want the bike team full stop. That was stated before either LA confirmed re-retirement or Landis popped his head above the parapet. Given these two events, it seems unlikely anybody would want to keep the team afloat outside of those who put it together in the first place.
  • dave_1
    morstar wrote:
    I can't see the Shack existing next year. The Shack itself is very vulnerable as a business. Likely future owners are reportedly unlikely to want the bike team full stop. That was stated before either LA confirmed re-retirement or Landis popped his head above the parapet. Given these two events, it seems unlikely anybody would want to keep the team afloat outside of those who put it together in the first place.

where was that reported? :?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Dave_1 wrote:
    morstar wrote:

All over the place. Here's an example:

http://www.labbrand.com/brand-source/reader%E2%80%99s-digest-radioshack-blockbuster-among-brands-predicted-disappear
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Dave_1 wrote:
    morstar wrote:

Can't remember where I first read it but RichN95 has saved my grey matter on that one.

Just found this though.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=401876
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I really wonder what the Shack will look like if it continues next year? Who is their ageing GT contender? Klodi or Levi? Geox might pick up a Popovich but for now he might want to spread his wings a little. Levi certainly does. Probably suits them both to stay put at RS and ride for themsleves.

Menchov and Sastre are classy riders - Tour 08 and Giro 09 were great, especially showed how gutsy Sastre was and how cool and calm (and unable to stay upright) Menchov is. In the Tour that year he crashed going up hill (think it was a bit wet at the time).

By 2011 both will be older from the '10 Tour, both are 2nd category climbers at best. How will they respond to AC and AS type sharp attacks? They're both grinders and typically pull themselves back up slowly after an acceleration but they'll be struggle on the Galibier.

A tour de France winner, winning the race with a solo victory on Alpe d'Huez, mountain top wins in the Giro, and the guy is a "2nd category climber at best"?! Hell, some people have high standards....
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I would definitely like to see them out. Looks like they will be there tho:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/radiosh ... s-for-2011
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FransJacques
    There is a much under-rated ABC song called "That was then and this is now".

2008 - as I said, both were great. But 2010? Come on. They could drag themselves back after a stinging attack - not a race winning card to play. In 2011 will M&S be any fresher?

I loved the 08 Tour but don't forget it's the one that made 100s of retired texan tour winners decide to come back and pull a Michael Jordan.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Fair enough, I'd read it as commenting generally on their ability as climbers, but if you're talking about 2011 and onwards then maybe you have a point. I still think its harsh on Menchov in particular - the guy has won 3 grand tours, could soon be 4, and no real sign he's slowing down. Not a bad climber at all IMO.
  • dave_1

:shock: I am glad Shack'll be around in 2011. I hope they do well, glad the riders still have a job next year.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dave_1 wrote:

:shock: I am glad Shack'll be around in 2011. I hope they do well, glad the riders still have a job next year.

I doubt most of those guys would be stuck for a contract if the team folded. A few of them might just want to knock it on the head and retire.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I doubt most of those guys would be stuck for a contract if the team folded. A few of them might just want to knock it on the head and retire.

true Iain, but it's 20 more spaces on other teams that are created if they don't need to get contracts elsewhere..and LA is history now, so maybe people can live with RS
  • FransJacques
    MatHammond wrote:
    Fair enough, I'd read it as commenting generally on their ability as climbers, but if you're talking about 2011 and onwards then maybe you have a point. I still think its harsh on Menchov in particular - the guy has won 3 grand tours, could soon be 4, and no real sign he's slowing down. Not a bad climber at all IMO.
    3 wow, I'm way out of date, thought it was just the Giro. I was trying to remember in this year's tour if I felt that his own efforts were stylimed by trying to "help" a long-desired and long-heralded Dutch Tour hope on a Dutch team. That's gotta compromise one's personal goals. I remember a couple climbing stages where Gesink was ahead but I didn't notice if Menchov sacrificed himself to propel him there.

Overall, I wonder if Geox will get an invite given how +/- how Footon/servetto did this year (21010), +/- new signings, +/- how their Giro goes but it's a long way off at this point. Imagine waking up Saturday and having to start your 3rd Grand tour. And i thought my job was tough.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Overall, I wonder if Geox will get an invite given how +/- how Footon/servetto did this year (21010), +/- new signings, +/- how their Giro goes but it's a long way off at this point. Imagine waking up Saturday and having to start your 3rd Grand tour. And i thought my job was tough.

The Tour de France invites will be particularly interesting, unless one of the French teams overhauls Androni for 17th place on the rankings.

These six teams will be fighting for a maximum of five places: AG2R, FdJ, Cofidis, BBox, GEOX, The Schlecks.

The Schlecks are guaranteed, but then what? I believe the ASO have commitment to a certain number of French riders and I also think the French teams have become a little complacent (mostly Cofidis). Can they say no to Menchov and Sastre? Interesting times.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dave_1

FF, do you think the job hunting ex-cervelo riders wish to have another 20 from shack to go up against in the search for a new gig? How can any fan of cycling write what you ?