iPhone top tube mounting

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Just ordered a VeloTrac top tube mounting bag, looks good to me (including shipping it works out at a smidgin under £25). One to two weeks they say, I'll let you know if it's any good.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    SimonAH wrote:
    Just ordered a VeloTrac top tube mounting bag, looks good to me (including shipping it works out at a smidgin under £25). One to two weeks they say, I'll let you know if it's any good.

Where from dude? I am looking for a waterproof, bike holder solution at the moment!
  • SimonAH
    Ordered from the manufacturers website; http://www.velotrac.com/ Looks like it should hold an innertube and a multitool too,

• gtvlusso
    Ordered! Cheers fella - awaiting delivery with keeness!

Expect my iPhone will be relieved to not be flaoting about in my courier back with tools and so on now!
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    That looks like a nice product.

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I am looking to order this - my only concern would be whether it fouls my knees as I pedal? I guess I can easily find out and take advantage of their returns policy...
  • biondino
    Ah - I see it's just over the VAT threshold for imports. Can anyone advise how to pay the VAT so I don't have to go through the tedious non-arrival of the item and pissy note from customs telling them how much I owe?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    I am looking to order this - my only concern would be whether it fouls my knees as I pedal? I guess I can easily find out and take advantage of their returns policy...
    I used a tri-bag on the marmotte and it was a real PITA. My knees rubbed on it when I climbed out of the saddle: so irritatiing. It won't get used again. The topeak tri-bag I have looks narrower than this product...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • biondino
    I'm going to give it a go - yesterday's ride with iphone constantly in and out of a back pocket was also a PITA. My bike is relatively big for me so maybe I'll get lucky?

Also, I checked the HMRC site and it seems the only way to pay import VAT in advance is if you're buying from one of about 4 countries who have an agreement with the UK, or from individual retailers who also do. Unlikely for a small business in the US.
  • jonginge
    biondino wrote:
    I'm going to give it a go - yesterday's ride with iphone constantly in and out of a back pocket was also a PITA. My bike is relatively big for me so maybe I'll get lucky
    Go for it. You're not going to lose much. My knees pass pretty closely to the top tube on all my bikes so that's my issue with it.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • SimonAH
    Re the VAT I've ordered quite a few things from the States over the years and I've only been caught out once - the carrier took the money from me at point of delivery.

• I have a handlebar mount for my Blackberry, but it's hard to move from one bike to another, the phone can fly out (I use it for Satnav, cos I'm often going somewhere new), and it offers no rain protection. I'm interested in this.
  • SimonAH
    It has arrived, US international first class post.

No VAT issues I'm pleased to report. :)

Initial impressions are good. Seems to be pretty well made and the iPhone pocket is just right. It fits the phone snugly, gives a full clear view of the screen, finger taps work fine and it looks like it should be waterproof.

The bag is actually slightly larger than I expected it to be, you could get quite a lot of stuff in the main cavity. Easily a few energy bars and a basic toolkit.

The three velcro points are, ahem, well endowed with velcro. Unless your top tube is a foot in diameter you're going to be snipping them shorter.

I'll road test it this afternoon.

Happy so far!

• gtvlusso
    Still waiting for mine *although I did leave the house at 6am and the post never arrives until midday!

:-(
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I have a handlebar mount for my Blackberry, but it's hard to move from one bike to another, the phone can fly out (I use it for Satnav, cos I'm often going somewhere new), and it offers no rain protection. I'm interested in this.

You should look at these http://www.krusellcases.com/uk/p_krusel ... spx?f=1575 , weather protection, a good case and totally secure with one of these, http://www.krusellcases.com/uk/p_krusel ... x?i=124215
    The mount won't fit oversize bars but is easily adaptable and cases and mount can be got a lot cheaper on fleabay.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • SimonAH
    OK, first ride impressions;

Not perfect but more than adequate.

There is a little internal strap that you can use to cinch the 'phone in place which needs to be done as on bumpy roads your phone slides around a bit (the compartment is slightly larger than the 'phone)

In addition to my 'phone I put in a tyre iron set, an innertube, a multitool and my micro-pump into the main section. Still room for an energy bar.

Downsides are that the zip ends jingle - I'll change them this evening - and that my ahead set slews the bag when the bars turn but, at the end of the day, when you straighten the bars the bag straightens anyway so who cares?

No knee swipe issues at least for me.

Summary,
    Worth £25 IMO and really nice to see the iPhone's cycling computer function as you go rather than just checking the results at the end of the ride. Could be better but I like overall.

• gtvlusso
    Just got mine from the post office this morning! Sweeeeet! Works a treat! All I need now is long enough earphone lead!
  • biondino
    I haven't got mine yet but I've been looking at where my knees go when I stand up and I suspect I'll have Jonginge's problem :/
  • gtvlusso
    Have mine now - after some cutting of the velcro to re-size for my bie, works a treat. I get a bit of leg rub when I stand on the pedals, but nothing significant - works a treat!
  • Excellent!

All I need now is an iPhone...
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • hows it going with the velotrac??
    I was wondering if there was enough room in the iphone compartment to have a backup power source as well. iphone battery life being rubbish with gps running, am keen to keeep the gps working for 8 hours is possible - want to avoid spenting on a garmin
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Look at powermonkey products. I've got one to use as an emergency charger and it's excellent.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The problem I find with all these holders is the iPhone/other gadget itself - most colour screens have insufficient contrast for reading in bright daylight, and none of these holders has an effective visor.
  • I'm finding ups and downs with mine. Visibility is fine with a Blackberry, but the position is suboptimal for reading it; I have a handlebar mount that has all sorts of other issues, but does make it muchy easier to read. Secondly, I saw this as an all in one solution to carrying my tools, mounting my GPS etc on all my bikes, but the mounting system is giving me problems. On my folder, it mounts nice and tight on the very thick top tube, but the handlepost hinge pushes it sideways when I turn the bars. On my road bike, the straps are so long that it's hard to secure it properly, but if I cut it, it won't fit the folder any more. My tourer has IGH, and I mounted the gripshift on the stem, which means shifting is very difficult. All in all, it aint perfect. When I get my Brompton, I'll investigate how well it works, but if it's not a good fit on that, I might spring for the handlebar mount and waterproof case someone else recommended on here. That could stay on the Brommie, which is where I'll most often need GPS, and the Velotrac could be for the other bikes on rainy days. Of course, that means it's no longer any good as a permanent repository for multi tools, tyre levers and tube. Oh well.
  • SimonAH
    Regret to say that my bag has just not worked for me. Damn shame because I really wanted it to.

Two problems that ticked me off.
    1) I have an old school Ti stem on my aheadset and it's set really low so the front of the bag is butting hard against the clamp nut and so goes from side to side with the bars. Not the bags fault but it doesn't fit my bike design well. Ideally you want about three inches twixt top tube and stem.
    2) It is only mostly waterproof. Got caught in a serious downpour and freaked to find that my iPhone was pretty wet.

One minor issue that was easy to sort was the jingling from the zip tags. Snipped 'em off and attached the toggles directly through the zip bodies.

Anyway, sold it to my boss who rides an MTB with a huge amount of steerer. iPhone now back in my pocket until I come up with another solution..Was considering adapting one of these; http://www.thesportshq.com/idry-waterpr ... 3wodpR9IGA

• biondino
    snailracer wrote:
    The problem I find with all these holders is the iPhone/other gadget itself - most colour screens have insufficient contrast for reading in bright daylight, and none of these holders has an effective visor.

This is very true. Also the window is low quality plastic that warps and scratches too easily. There is some knee rub when standing but it's not the end of the world. The bag itself is a good size for tools and tubes and fitted my roadie fairly well. In truth I'm not sure if I'll keep using it - it's a good try but the flaws are a bit too flaw-y.
  • gtvlusso
    This looks good:

http://www.dahon.com/accessories/2010/b ... unt-iphone

I still use my velotrac baggy - found that condensation built up around the phone in heavy rain. And I sometimes get some leg rub action.....

Useful if I am just bimbling into town, but I tend to put the velotrac bag with my iphone in it into my courier bag - keeps my iphone safe and keeps all my toolds wrapped then!
  • jonginge
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • SimonAH
    Hey, that looks good Jon